Author Topic: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition  (Read 359846 times)

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
Re: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition
« Reply #1095 on: January 13, 2021, 12:04:19 AM »
Is it possible to go below the regiment level in the OOB? From what im seeing, it doesnt go below three levels...

I am not sure what you are experiencing, but you may be doing something wrong.

Offline RougeNPS

• Lt. Commander
  • R
« Reply #1096 on: January 13, 2021, 12:16:54 AM »
Is it possible to go below the regiment level in the OOB? From what im seeing, it doesnt go below three levels...

Oh wow. Ok. Its just, im dabbling in ground units for the first time and i uh...dont really understand how they work at all. Trying to glean from screenshots and what Steve and by extension, the wiki says isnt really working for me.

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
« Reply #1097 on: January 13, 2021, 12:23:00 AM »

Basically each HQ works like a Matrioska (Russian Doll). You have 1 big HQ that can command  1,000,000 That is the total. The composition underneath will be anything that does not hit that cap and so on.
Oh wow. Ok. Its just, im dabbling in ground units for the first time and i uh...dont really understand how they work at all. Trying to glean from screenshots and what Steve and by extension, the wiki says isnt really working for me.

Offline RougeNPS

• Lt. Commander
  • R
« Reply #1098 on: January 13, 2021, 12:27:20 AM »
Oh ok then. So larger HQ unit with higher level commander means smaller units underneath then with HQ at every level? Or do i onl need one HQ for the entire thing overall?

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
« Reply #1099 on: January 13, 2021, 01:07:03 AM »
Oh ok then. So larger HQ unit with higher level commander means smaller units underneath then with HQ at every level? Or do i onl need one HQ for the entire thing overall?

Yes. Remember that the HQ formation may have its own tonnage as well. I follow this setup but you can come up with your own

CORP           250,000   Max HQ 1000K or 3 DIVISIONS         Corps - different corps form the army. Each Corp usually has a purpose. Can control all the below or act alone.
DIVISION      50,000   Max HQ 250K or 4 BRIGADES         Division - Made up of more than 50,000 TONS (support personnel)
BRIGADE       25,000   MAIN – Max HQ 50K or 5 COMPANIES       Each brigade will serve a specific purpose and completely autonomous.
BATTALION   10,000   HQ 10K                                         Battalions are to handle tasks which don’t require a full brigade, such garrison new colonies, construction or Xeno archaeology etc.
COMPANY           5,000   HQ 5K                                         Companies are for individual specialized units composing BRIGADES
SQUAD          <5,000   HQ DEPENDING ON SIZE                  Squad of few men to perform special actions, such as boarding parties

Each unit should have its own HQ. You should also remember to create the HQs as non-combat units and finally add 2 of them per formation for redundancy, just in case one gets killed in action.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 01:12:49 AM by froggiest1982 »

Offline captainwolfer

• Lt. Commander
  • c
« Reply #1100 on: January 13, 2021, 01:08:10 AM »
Each unit that has smaller units under it needs enough tonnage for both the elements in the HQ unit and the elements in the templates under the HQ unit

For example: My battalions are comprised of 3 front line companies of 3,125 tons, and 1 command company of 3,125 tons. Thus, the total battalion size is 12,500 tons. So, the front line companies need HQs with 3,125 tons of HQ capacity, and the command company needs HQs with 12,500 tons of HQ capacity.

Going up to the next level, each brigade has 3 battalions and 1x 12,500 ton brigade command. The brigade command thus needs an HQ capacity of 50,000 tons.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #1101 on: January 13, 2021, 01:18:24 AM »

Every formation that will have a commander should have a HQ element, otherwise it will not receive any bonus from a commander. For "combat" formations the HQ capacity should be equal to the formation size, otherwise the commander will suffer a penalty and not give their full bonus. For "superior" formations which will command other formations the HQ capacity should be equal to the size of its own formation plus the formations you expect it to command. For example, if your combat formations are 5,000-ton battalions, a superior brigade formation which is also 5,000 tons and expects to command three battalions would need a HQ that has 20,000 capacity. Note that if you then had a 10,000-ton corps formation which expects to command three brigades, it must have HQ capacity for itself plus the sum of all formations under its command, down through multiple levels, in this case 70,000 tons as each brigade commands 20,000 tons.

As the cost to develop an HQ element increases massively as the command capacity increases, I don't recommend having more than 2-3 levels in your hierarchy to begin, and I suggest having your basic combat formation (battalion, etc.) be 5,000 tons or larger, as this is the size of the largest troop transport module and thus makes it easy to ensure your formations can be transported. Many people like to use 1,000-ton companies as their base unit, however this tends to give you too many formations for the amount of commanders you have until quite late in the game and causes a lot of micromanagement, so I don't recommend this unless you are dedicated to a particular RP scheme.

Each unit should have its own HQ. You should also remember to create the HQs as non-combat units and finally add 2 of them per formation for redundancy, just in case one gets killed in action.

The two HQs thing was partially disproven elsewhere in the forums in that the redundancy does not improve the commanders' odds of surviving if one of the HQs is destroyed, basically the commander is "on" one of the two HQs and if it is destroyed the commander dies. However, having two HQ elements does allow you to appoint a replacement commander in the middle of a battle, which is a bit gamey but a viable use case.

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
« Reply #1102 on: January 13, 2021, 01:35:54 AM »
The two HQs thing was partially disproven elsewhere in the forums in that the redundancy does not improve the commanders' odds of surviving if one of the HQs is destroyed, basically the commander is "on" one of the two HQs and if it is destroyed the commander dies.

The commander will be in the HQ with the higher command if 1 or more HQ are present true, however, a replacement commander gets assigned (if you do have automatic assignments) when the original commander dies and assignments check is due. I never mentioned improving survival of commanders or other. Furthermore, Steve does use 2 HQ in all his offensive formation designs so I must trust his "instinct".  ;)

However, having two HQ elements does allow you to appoint a replacement commander in the middle of a battle, which is a bit gamey but a viable use case.

I don't see any issue with a commander getting replaced once dead, it's probably the natural chain of command. But I understand your point.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 01:37:51 AM by froggiest1982 »

Offline Stormtrooper

• Captain
  • S
  • The universe is a Dark Forest
« Reply #1103 on: January 13, 2021, 03:30:39 AM »
After paying more attention to what's going on in the logs it seems that it's ships trying to hit ground units from orbit here(and energy impacts of 1 dmg from time to time, looks kinda like missile defence), ground combat also takes place as well. However, the ships can't hit anything, I get messages like 40 shots, 0,6% chance to hit, sometimes it'll include 1 shot hit or something.

It sounds like the problem is orbital bombardment. There probably isn't any ground combat and its just invaders bombing a planet. Which explains why your stuck in 5s increments.

That really sucks because there is no easy way to make them stop short of giving the invaders the win and wiping out NPR ground forces

Well ir processed till morning, but then as I did a small test after 16 in-game days it went back to 5s again. I marked the npr fighting invaders as player race in db to easily poke at things with a stick and to my surprise when I switched to them I noticed it was only no fuel interrupting me every 5s (but I doubt npr out of fuel would cause slowdown) and one ship getting attacked every 20 s without any hit ever connecting. I deleted the ship, cancelled orders of the fuel-less fleet and everything apparently moved back to normal... What surprised me is that while playing as the npr I didn't get any logs about ground forces getting involved in anything. What the hell is going on there? At least I figured out all I need to do is flag npr as player race and then can simply delete ships from fleet window and switch it back to npr, no need for some risky and complex db tweaks.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #1104 on: January 13, 2021, 05:32:19 AM »
The two HQs thing was partially disproven elsewhere in the forums in that the redundancy does not improve the commanders' odds of surviving if one of the HQs is destroyed, basically the commander is "on" one of the two HQs and if it is destroyed the commander dies.

The commander will be in the HQ with the higher command if 1 or more HQ are present true, however, a replacement commander gets assigned (if you do have automatic assignments) when the original commander dies and assignments check is due. I never mentioned improving survival of commanders or other. Furthermore, Steve does use 2 HQ in all his offensive formation designs so I must trust his "instinct".  ;)

The chance of the commander getting killed is:

(HQ Rating of destroyed unit / HQ Rating of formation) * 25%

So multiple HQs do improve commander survival chance.

The following users thanked this post: BAGrimm, nuclearslurpee

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #1105 on: January 13, 2021, 05:39:13 AM »

The chance of the commander getting killed is:

(HQ Rating of destroyed unit / HQ Rating of formation) * 25%

So multiple HQs do improve commander survival chance.

But the HQ rating of formations don't go up when you add multiple HQs. 2 4000 rated HQs still result in a 4000 rated formation

Offline Borealis4x

• Commodore
« Reply #1106 on: January 13, 2021, 07:42:40 AM »
When you research new armor tech, will it be applied to locked ship designs automatically so all new ships made of the class have the armor or do you have to make a new design?

Same question for Meson Retardation tech.

Offline tobijon

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • t
« Reply #1107 on: January 13, 2021, 07:45:54 AM »
you have to make a new design, the ships remain the way you designed them, you can use copy class and update armor to make this easier.

Offline Borealis4x

• Commodore
« Reply #1108 on: January 13, 2021, 08:16:23 AM »
you have to make a new design, the ships remain the way you designed them, you can use copy class and update armor to make this easier.

Would that require retooling the shipyard or is it compatible with yards tooled to the original class with the lower-tier armor?

Offline TheTalkingMeowth

• Captain
  • T
« Reply #1109 on: January 13, 2021, 08:51:51 AM »

Would that require retooling the shipyard or is it compatible with yards tooled to the original class with the lower-tier armor?
It's a completely separate class, so compatibility follows the normal rules. If the refit to the version with the new armor is less than 25% of the cost of the ship, it should still be compatible