Author Topic: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition  (Read 359853 times)

Offline Kiero

• Bronze Supporter
  • Lieutenant
  • In space no one can hear you scream.
  • Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter : Support the forums with a Bronze subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
Re: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition
« Reply #1515 on: March 03, 2021, 07:42:31 AM »
I have the following space station:

Code: [Select]
Brazil Base class Fuel Depot      25,840 tons       30 Crew       552.9 BP       TCS 517    TH 0    EM 0
1 km/s      No Armour       Shields 0-0     HTK 103      Sensors 0/0/0/0      DCR 1      PPV 0
MSP 13    Max Repair 20 MSP

Fuel Capacity 25,000,000 Litres    Range N/A
Refueling Capability: 50,000 liters per hour     Complete Refuel 500 hours

This design is classed as a Commercial Vessel for maintenance purposes
This design is classed as a Space Station for construction purposes

I transferred fuel to these stations with these ships:
Fleetwood Mk.4 class Fuel Transport      13,500 tons       50 Crew       202.8 BP       TCS 270    TH 200    EM 0
740 km/s      Armour 1-50       Shields 0-0       HTK 16      Sensors 0/0/0/0      DCR 1      PPV 0
MSP 9    Max Repair 25 MSP

Negi Turbines C5-100.0 1.250t INP Engine (2)    Power 200    Fuel Use 3.84%    Signature 100    Explosion 4%
Fuel Capacity 10,009,000 Litres    Range 3,471.9 billion km (54302 days at full power)
Refuelling Capability: 80,000 litres per hour     Complete Refuel 125 hours

It always worked. However, with my new design this base isn't refueled any more:
Macwood Mk.5 class Fuel Transport      60,000 tons       210 Crew       657 BP       TCS 1,200    TH 2,250    EM 0
1875 km/s      Armour 1-136       Shields 0-0       HTK 109      Sensors 0/0/0/0      DCR 1      PPV 0
MSP 6    Max Repair 25 MSP

Negi Turbines C6-150.0 2.400t ID Engine (15)    Power 2250    Fuel Use 0.86%    Signature 150    Explosion 2%
Fuel Capacity 22,412,000 Litres    Range 7,856.4 billion km (48496 days at full power)
Refuelling Capability: 80,000 litres per hour     Complete Refuel 280 hours

All three have the tanker-bit set and the ships in the fleet are set to "no auto refuel". But the command "Refuel from own tankers" is doing nothing with a ship from the new design. Any ideas what I am missing?

It shouldn't work at all.
Refueling system is able to pull/push fuel from a colony, but it is not able to push fuel to another ship, that is not in a fleet with it.
Other ships are able to pull from stationary tankers.
"Refuel from own tankers" is an order for a fleet with tankers. When a fleet stops it will refuel from tankers that are in the same fleet.

For such a station to work, you need to give it an order to pull fuel from a tanker that sits on top of it or add a refueling hub to that station design.
Then you'll be able to push fuel to it just like to a colony.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 07:45:25 AM by Kiero »

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #1516 on: March 03, 2021, 08:18:38 AM »
Is there a way for multiple nations starting on earth that all retain the default naming of the sol system? Or can I copy some entries in the DB so they all have identical names for the system bodies?

In the System View window there should be a button called "Rename Sol Bodies" or similar which should do this for you.

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #1517 on: March 03, 2021, 08:55:26 AM »
Is there a way for multiple nations starting on earth that all retain the default naming of the sol system? Or can I copy some entries in the DB so they all have identical names for the system bodies?

In the System View window there should be a button called "Rename Sol Bodies" or similar which should do this for you.
Yepp, it only shows in SM mode, but yes, it is there. Thanks.

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #1518 on: March 03, 2021, 09:00:06 AM »
It shouldn't work at all.
The refueling system is able to pull/push fuel from a colony, but it is not able to push fuel to another ship, that is not in a fleet with it.
Man, as much as I like the new fuel system, the handling is so annoying... especially when you want to automate things... .

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #1519 on: March 05, 2021, 03:59:32 PM »
Am I under the wrong impression that there is an option to refit fighter crafts?

Offline xenoscepter (OP)

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #1520 on: March 05, 2021, 04:53:44 PM »
Am I under the wrong impression that there is an option to refit fighter crafts?

- There should be, if there isn't I'd imagine that's a bug. You can build fighters in a shipyard too, AFAIK.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #1521 on: March 05, 2021, 06:55:37 PM »

You totally can but you have to do it in a shipyard tooled for that fighter class. You can't refit from planetary fighter factories. Fortunately this isn't too annoying if you can get a 1,000-ton yard with a couple extra slipways and just keep retooling it to the next class you want to refit to.

The following users thanked this post: TMaekler

Offline Barkhorn

• Commodore
  • B
« Reply #1522 on: March 05, 2021, 09:13:37 PM »
Has anyone thought of using towed stations with cryopods to move colonists?  Seems like you could move huge numbers quickly this way since the station could be gigantic.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #1523 on: March 05, 2021, 09:42:40 PM »
Has anyone thought of using towed stations with cryopods to move colonists?  Seems like you could move huge numbers quickly this way since the station could be gigantic.

I've certainly never seen it done. It could certainly work, but for any non-CC 0.0 world the limit on colonization is as much infrastructure as it is how fast you can deliver colonists.

There's also the problem of getting the thing through an un-gated jump point. I get the impression that if the JPs are gated, most players let the civilians handle things so the giant colony cube may end up being a resource sink more than anything else.

Offline Polestar

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • P
« Reply #1524 on: March 06, 2021, 10:38:53 AM »
Absolutely. In fact, in my last game, I only moved colonists in towed stations. My tugs would flexibly swap out cargo and passenger stations as needed, with side-trips to haul asteroid miners and even major military bases. It was a long time before I even started to build freighters.

A towed passenger station:
Towed - 1m Passenger class Spaceliner      355,563 tons       3,010 Crew       14,921.4 BP       TCS 7,111    TH 0    EM 0
1 km/s      No Armour       Shields 0-0     HTK 388      Sensors 0/0/0/0      DCR 1      PPV 0
MSP 26    Max Repair 100 MSP
Cryogenic Berths 1,000,000    Cargo Shuttle Multiplier 600   
Plotarchis    Control Rating 1   BRG   
Intended Deployment Time: 3 months   

This design is classed as a Space Station for construction purposes

A magnetic pulse-engined tug:
Atlas class Tug      329,525 tons       1,940 Crew       5,803 BP       TCS 6,590    TH 30,720    EM 0
4661 km/s      Armour 1-424       Shields 0-0       HTK 558      Sensors 0/0/0/0      DCR 1      PPV 0
MSP 11    Max Repair 115.2 MSP
Tractor Beam     
Plotarchis    Control Rating 1   BRG   
Intended Deployment Time: 3 months   

Peregrinatio MP 160 (40)    Power 30720    Fuel Use 0.62%    Signature 768    Explosion 3%
Fuel Capacity 4,000,000 Litres    Range 354.6 billion km (880 days at full power)

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #1525 on: March 06, 2021, 10:46:25 AM »
You totally can but you have to do it in a shipyard tooled for that fighter class. You can't refit from planetary fighter factories. Fortunately, this isn't too annoying if you can get a 1,000-ton yard with a couple of extra slipways and just keep retooling it to the next class you want to refit to.
I guess the fighters fall under the same limitations for a refit as normal ships, right? I had created newer fighters and can't refit them when tooled for the new class. I can only select a similar small fighter class ship as a source; not the old fighter class I want to upgrade... . Annoying.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #1526 on: March 06, 2021, 10:52:50 AM »
You totally can but you have to do it in a shipyard tooled for that fighter class. You can't refit from planetary fighter factories. Fortunately, this isn't too annoying if you can get a 1,000-ton yard with a couple of extra slipways and just keep retooling it to the next class you want to refit to.
I guess the fighters fall under the same limitations for a refit as normal ships, right? I had created newer fighters and can't refit them when tooled for the new class. I can only select a similar small fighter class ship as a source; not the old fighter class I want to upgrade... . Annoying.

Is there a big tonnage difference? Refits are limited to +/- 20% tonnage change in C# to avoid some of the weirder situations people exploited in VB6.

Offline misanthropope

• Lt. Commander
  • m
« Reply #1527 on: March 06, 2021, 11:08:55 AM »
barkthorn:

the basic premise is flawed.  a gigantic cryogenics station moves very slowly under tug, and would offer nearly no improvement over a moderate sized (and vastly cheaper) pod.  this isn't like (eg) terraforming where you ship once and then leave it to grind for a decade.

i do tug-pod logistics almost exclusively, and colony pods in my experience are very expensive and offer only situational advantages over just letting the civs do it.  if you've excavated or captured enough cryo units to diffray the costs, then it's worth the build capacity just to be able to exert direct control- because the civs really are a bunch of clowns.  if you're managing several species the clownification intensifies, and player-controlled shipping becomes more valuable
« Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 11:10:47 AM by misanthropope »

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #1528 on: March 06, 2021, 12:39:23 PM »
if you're managing several species the clownification intensifies,

This is key, civilian colonist shipping becomes useless when you become a multi-species empire because they'll pick up aliens and then not have valid colonies to drop them off to, which means the civie colony ships just idle with aliens in storage.

I get around it by taking over non-human transportation myself by switching all alien colonist sources to stable. It helps that I usually RP aliens as second-class citizens who only get to live where I tell them to.

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #1529 on: March 06, 2021, 03:04:29 PM »
Is there a big tonnage difference? Refits are limited to +/- 20% tonnage change in C# to avoid some of the weirder situations people exploited in VB6.
Yes, the first class was pretty small. At that low tonnage, you are pretty quickly above the 20% limit, unfortunately.