Author Topic: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition  (Read 359806 times)

Offline ZimRathbone

• Captain
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
Re: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition
« Reply #1845 on: May 23, 2021, 10:02:53 PM »
Is it possible to actually find habitable planets on the random system generator? (Generate System on a custom start)

Remember also that if you Create New Race on a body it will adapt its values to the body assuming that they lie within the wider habitable values (ie O2 <=30%, temp high enough that the O2 is gaseous and low enough so that H2O is not gaseous)  and I believe no poisonous gases in the atmosphere (SO2, CO2 > some value, Ammonia etc.).  I don't believe that gravity or Hydrosphere are checked.
Slàinte,

Mike

The following users thanked this post: Agraelgrimm

Offline Agraelgrimm

• Lieutenant
  • A
« Reply #1846 on: May 23, 2021, 11:05:07 PM »
Is it possible to actually find habitable planets on the random system generator? (Generate System on a custom start)

Remember also that if you Create New Race on a body it will adapt its values to the body assuming that they lie within the wider habitable values (ie O2 <=30%, temp high enough that the O2 is gaseous and low enough so that H2O is not gaseous)  and I believe no poisonous gases in the atmosphere (SO2, CO2 > some value, Ammonia etc.).  I don't believe that gravity or Hydrosphere are checked.
So near habitable with non toxic atmosphere and water avaliable. Right?

Offline ZimRathbone

• Captain
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #1847 on: May 24, 2021, 12:49:19 AM »

So near habitable with non toxic atmosphere and water avaliable. Right?

aye
Slàinte,

Mike

The following users thanked this post: Agraelgrimm

Offline Agraelgrimm

• Lieutenant
  • A
« Reply #1848 on: May 24, 2021, 01:30:42 AM »
Is there anyway to see how many crewmen and junior personel we have in the game? I notice that the academy will produce an X amount depending on what we choose and in previous versions not only we had that, but also it had an impact on gameplay. Is that still the case?
And if not, is Steve planning to implement that later on?
*Edit* Also, what does the support field position do? What are the mechanics for it?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2021, 04:59:00 AM by Agraelgrimm »

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #1849 on: May 24, 2021, 07:22:04 AM »
Is there anyway to see how many crewmen and junior personel we have in the game? I notice that the academy will produce an X amount depending on what we choose and in previous versions not only we had that, but also it had an impact on gameplay. Is that still the case?
And if not, is Steve planning to implement that later on?
*Edit* Also, what does the support field position do? What are the mechanics for it?

Current available crew is on the Academies tab of the Race window. If you don't have crew available for new ships, they start at -10% grade.

For ground forces, look at the contents here. There are several ground forces posts under 'G'.
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=10666.0

The post covering Support is here:
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=8495.msg109786#msg109786

The following users thanked this post: Agraelgrimm, Zhukov

Offline villaincomer

• Petty Officer
  • v
« Reply #1850 on: May 24, 2021, 07:29:27 AM »
Useful to know about the Academies tab thank you.
For the Training level drop down at the bottom of that screen, does anyone know if Quality is (1) v Quantity at (5).  Or is it the other way round?
Thank you

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #1851 on: May 24, 2021, 08:47:22 AM »
Useful to know about the Academies tab thank you.
For the Training level drop down at the bottom of that screen, does anyone know if Quality is (1) v Quantity at (5).  Or is it the other way round?
Thank you

5 is highest quality, 1 is highest quantity. If you change the number it will immediately change the number of crew available (weird mechanic but okay...)

The following users thanked this post: villaincomer

Offline themousemaster

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • t
« Reply #1852 on: May 25, 2021, 02:49:08 PM »
Sometimes, when I salvage an enemy ship, I see something like this:

(see image)

But when I check my research options, there is no Compressed Fuel storage anywhere.   What's happening?

(also, how do I in-line pictures ;p)

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #1853 on: May 25, 2021, 02:51:14 PM »

(see image)

But when I check my research options, there is no Compressed Fuel storage anywhere.   What's happening?

I'm pretty sure its because of the borked way that the tech prerequisites are done for the ruins only stuff. All ruins only tech for compressed fuel is locked behind the standard size fuel tank. This means that until you get tech data on the standard size everything else will be useless.

Offline themousemaster

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • t
« Reply #1854 on: May 25, 2021, 03:38:05 PM »
Quote from: Droll link=topic=11545. msg152114#msg152114 date=1621972274
Quote from: themousemaster link=topic=11545. msg152112#msg152112 date=1621972148

(see image)

But when I check my research options, there is no Compressed Fuel storage anywhere.    What's happening?

I'm pretty sure its because of the borked way that the tech prerequisites are done for the ruins only stuff.  All ruins only tech for compressed fuel is locked behind the standard size fuel tank.  This means that until you get tech data on the standard size everything else will be useless.

Given that I didn't even get this from a ruin, that's a shame.   it fell off the back of a NPR truck.   :(

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #1855 on: May 25, 2021, 05:42:46 PM »
Pictures inside a host require an external image host and use of IMG tags

Like this:  [ I M G ] https://i.imgur.com/R5OzVUj.jpeg [/ I M G ]

would show this image when you remove the extra spaces:

Offline skoormit

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #1856 on: May 25, 2021, 06:00:35 PM »
Is there any way to prevent the auto-assignment feature from assigning junior officers to command positions on every single freighter before assigning one as XO on an actual warship?
I mean, other than turning the feature off.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #1857 on: May 25, 2021, 06:48:31 PM »
Is there any way to prevent the auto-assignment feature from assigning junior officers to command positions on every single freighter before assigning one as XO on an actual warship?

The only commanders which should be auto-assigned to freighters are those with Logistics skills, which are rare enough that it shouldn't be a problem in most cases particularly since XOs require a Crew Training skill which is different.

Are your freighters designed oddly? For example if your freighters are classified as military ships they will be valid assignments for any commander with a Crew Training skill and take priority over XO slots.

Offline skoormit

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #1858 on: May 25, 2021, 07:11:29 PM »

The only commanders which should be auto-assigned to freighters are those with Logistics skills, which are rare enough that it shouldn't be a problem in most cases particularly since XOs require a Crew Training skill which is different.

Are your freighters designed oddly? For example if your freighters are classified as military ships they will be valid assignments for any commander with a Crew Training skill and take priority over XO slots.

Sorry, I meant fighter, not freighter.
I think I need more sleep. But I can't stop playing Aurora, so...

Anyway, when I assign my junior officer with the best Crew Training skill to be the XO of a warship, the auto-assignment feature inevitably reassigns him to command the next fighter that rolls off the production line, which is a complete waste of his talents.
The only solution I can think of (other than turning the auto-assign feature off, which is not gonna happen) is to spam a lot more academies so that I have more juniors available.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #1859 on: May 25, 2021, 07:21:38 PM »
Sorry, I meant fighter, not freighter.
I think I need more sleep. But I can't stop playing Aurora, so...

Anyway, when I assign my junior officer with the best Crew Training skill to be the XO of a warship, the auto-assignment feature inevitably reassigns him to command the next fighter that rolls off the production line, which is a complete waste of his talents.
The only solution I can think of (other than turning the auto-assign feature off, which is not gonna happen) is to spam a lot more academies so that I have more juniors available.

Sleep is for people who don't conquer galaxies.  ;)

Usually if I'm going to be using a lot of fighters, I tick the box on my large ship designs to bump up the officer ranks by one level so my XOs are e.g. CDRs instead of LCDRs.

Somewhere in the Suggestions thread I posted that it would be good to have the Reaction skill be the preferred skill for warship commanders in the auto-assignment algorithm instead of Crew Training, to reserve the latter skill for XO postings and since Reaction has no corresponding officer module (whereas Crew Training, Engineering, and Tactical do). It would also be really great if Fighter Combat was actually checked by the auto-assignment as I don't think it currently is.

The following users thanked this post: serger, BAGrimm, skoormit