Author Topic: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition  (Read 359820 times)

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
Re: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition
« Reply #1890 on: May 29, 2021, 05:12:50 PM »
Related question: How do you set the distance at which missile second stages will separate? I set the separation range to 1700k km but they seem to be separating at about twice that, roughly 3400k km.

What is the range of the 1st stage? Does it happen to be roughly 3400k km?

As an aside, I do wish that there would be a way to set the separation range based on distance to target since contacts might be moving towards (separates too late) or away (separates too early) from the missile.

No, the first stage is long-range, around 150m km. The second stage has a range of around 2m km. I tested setting the separation range down to 1m km, and now they're separating at around 2m km. (I'm testing this in SM mode.) I can't tell if this is a bug or if I'm just doing this wrong -- I haven't used missiles in C# yet, and I barely used them in the old VB version.

EDIT: To clarify, they're separating at 2m km from the target.

Try keeping the sep range 1m km, but now make the second stage have a range of 4M km. I want to see if for some reason there's a bug where the separation range is being multiplied by the second stage range.

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #1891 on: May 29, 2021, 05:18:12 PM »
As an aside, I do wish that there would be a way to set the separation range based on distance to target since contacts might be moving towards (separates too late) or away (separates too early) from the missile.

Is that not how it works? It did at least in VB Aurora; you'd set separation distance from target. So you had to choose a distance such that the active sensors on the second stage could pick up the target, and the second stage it self had enough range to reach it even if it was moving.

Does the second stage still need its own active sensor if the launch platform has an active lock on the target?

Offline ISN

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • I
« Reply #1892 on: May 29, 2021, 05:40:54 PM »
Related question: How do you set the distance at which missile second stages will separate? I set the separation range to 1700k km but they seem to be separating at about twice that, roughly 3400k km.

No, the first stage is long-range, around 150m km. The second stage has a range of around 2m km. I tested setting the separation range down to 1m km, and now they're separating at around 2m km. (I'm testing this in SM mode.) I can't tell if this is a bug or if I'm just doing this wrong -- I haven't used missiles in C# yet, and I barely used them in the old VB version.

Try keeping the sep range 1m km, but now make the second stage have a range of 4M km. I want to see if for some reason there's a bug where the separation range is being multiplied by the second stage range.

It seems that when targeted at waypoints the separation distance works correctly, which makes me suspect there's a bug here -- although I haven't seen any bug reports to that effect. Have other people seen something like this? I'd previously been using the friendly neighborhood spoiler race as target practice, but their habit of shooting down my missiles and my ships is making testing difficult. I'm going to make a more cooperative race to test this on.

Offline ISN

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • I
« Reply #1893 on: May 29, 2021, 06:36:35 PM »

It seems that when targeted at waypoints the separation distance works correctly, which makes me suspect there's a bug here -- although I haven't seen any bug reports to that effect. Have other people seen something like this? I'd previously been using the friendly neighborhood spoiler race as target practice, but their habit of shooting down my missiles and my ships is making testing difficult. I'm going to make a more cooperative race to test this on.

I think I've figured out what's going on. It turns out that what's happening is that the missile, when deciding when to release the second stage, is taking into account the motion of the ship being targeted; so if the target is moving away the second stage will appear to be released late, while if the target is moving towards the missile the second stage will appear to be released early. So far so good. However, if the target is following something stationary, then it may be moving back and forth even if it appears stationary, which can cause the second stage to be released early or late. Not sure whether this should be classed as a bug or not. The second issue, though, is definitely a bug: as far as I can tell, the first stage uses its own speed, rather than the speed of the second stage, when calculating when to release the second stage. Thus the relatively small correction needed for the fast second stage to catch up to an enemy ship becomes a much larger correction for the slow first stage to catch up.

Since at least one of these issues seems to be a genuine bug, I'm going to post this in the bugs thread.

The following users thanked this post: db48x, Droll, BAGrimm, Gabrote42

Offline ChubbyPitbull

• Gold Supporter
  • Sub-Lieutenant
  • C
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #1894 on: May 29, 2021, 09:08:35 PM »
Where do you go to see the designs of enemy ships that you learned from capturing the ship? Been in a battle for a bit now and my breaching pods and marine boarding platoons this forum helped me design have born fruit. Capturing ships has been as good for intel as it has been for tech or minerals. In the midst of a huge missile barrage I missed that i had captured a new ship design I didn't know previously. Unfortunately advancing time the aliens blew it up with beam fire before I could check the class design in my Naval Organization window.

I went to the Races screen and checked for Intel on Known Ship classes, but the captured ship wasn't listed, nor was any of the other designs I captured. Where are those designs kept so I can see what I'm fighting against?

Thanks!

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #1895 on: May 29, 2021, 09:19:43 PM »
Where do you go to see the designs of enemy ships that you learned from capturing the ship? Been in a battle for a bit now and my breaching pods and marine boarding platoons this forum helped me design have born fruit. Capturing ships has been as good for intel as it has been for tech or minerals. In the midst of a huge missile barrage I missed that i had captured a new ship design I didn't know previously. Unfortunately advancing time the aliens blew it up with beam fire before I could check the class design in my Naval Organization window.

I went to the Races screen and checked for Intel on Known Ship classes, but the captured ship wasn't listed, nor was any of the other designs I captured. Where are those designs kept so I can see what I'm fighting against?

Thanks!

Annoyingly, these designs are not kept on the intel screen. When you capture a ship it is added to your list of class designs, so you can find them in the class design window nestled between your 100,000-ton Devastator-class missile dreadnought design and that experimental meson battleship proposal you keep fooling yourself into thinking you'll actually build someday.

The following users thanked this post: ChubbyPitbull, Sebmono

Offline ChubbyPitbull

• Gold Supporter
  • Sub-Lieutenant
  • C
« Reply #1896 on: May 29, 2021, 09:28:22 PM »

Annoyingly, these designs are not kept on the intel screen. When you capture a ship it is added to your list of class designs, so you can find them in the class design window nestled between your 100,000-ton Devastator-class missile dreadnought design and that experimental meson battleship proposal you keep fooling yourself into thinking you'll actually build someday.

Thanks nuclearslurpee as always! Will the game remember that I knownthe design when future enemy instances of that class design appear? Or do I have to manually keep track that "Doberman" class ships from this one race map to some missile destroyer class squirreled away in my class designs.

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #1897 on: May 29, 2021, 10:34:46 PM »

Thanks nuclearslurpee as always! Will the game remember that I knownthe design when future enemy instances of that class design appear? Or do I have to manually keep track that "Doberman" class ships from this one race map to some missile destroyer class squirreled away in my class designs.

The game tells you all the technology of any ship that you have captured. Unfortunately it does not give you intel about the specific components onboard that ship. For this reason I like to keep those designs around.

In order to prevent problems you can do one or both of these things:
- Add "[CAP] as a prefix to the class name
- Create a new hull type called "Captured" and place all your captured designs in there (make sure that you've designated the OG hull type on the intel screen lest you forget what it was)
- BONUS: Add ["Race acronym"] as a prefix as well so you know which race you captured the design from

The following users thanked this post: ChubbyPitbull

Offline Black

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • B
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
« Reply #1898 on: May 30, 2021, 05:29:03 AM »
Is it possible to get list of constellation names that Steve uses? I like the constellation names, but I would like to know what star they are, I can usually identify it for stars that are close to Sun but it it would be nice to have a list that would have both real name and constellation name.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #1899 on: May 30, 2021, 06:43:32 AM »
Is it possible to get list of constellation names that Steve uses? I like the constellation names, but I would like to know what star they are, I can usually identify it for stars that are close to Sun but it it would be nice to have a list that would have both real name and constellation name.

You can find the ones I have already done in the DIM_Known Stars table in the database, which has both the new name and the existing name.

If you want to do them yourself, you need to find the star by searching here:
http://simbad.u-strasbg.fr/simbad/sim-id?Ident=Gliese+479&submit=submit+id

Then copy the ICRS coordinates into this web page which will provide the correct constellation.
http://djm.cc/constellation.html

You will also need to make sure you don't use the name for a star that already exists. I have been through every Bayer and Flamsteed designation for all 88 constellations to make sure I don't use duplicates. That is a little extreme though, so you can probably just check for duplicates in the database.

I followed the above for each of the thousand stars I have done so far (on order of distance from Sol). I will keep adding over time when I am feeling enthusiastic, but it is a little tedious :)

The following users thanked this post: Black

Offline Kristover

• Gold Supporter
  • Lt. Commander
  • K
« Reply #1900 on: May 30, 2021, 07:46:09 AM »
Question - On a known stars game once you run out of the thousand known stars in the DB does the game generate new stars from the standards gen rules? Do they pull from the system naming convention of the race at that point?

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #1901 on: May 30, 2021, 07:48:01 AM »
Question - On a known stars game once you run out of the thousand known stars in the DB does the game generate new stars from the standards gen rules? Do they pull from the system naming convention of the race at that point?

There are 4400 known stars and that is effectively a fixed galaxy size. The thousand I mentioned above are only the ones I have assigned a new 'constellation name'.

Offline ISN

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • I
« Reply #1902 on: May 31, 2021, 09:43:58 PM »
Is there a way to add new rank themes? I know you can add and rename ranks manually, but I was wondering if there's any way of importing a rank theme that I'm just not noticing.

Offline davidr

• Gold Supporter
  • Lt. Commander
  • d
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #1903 on: June 01, 2021, 12:47:24 PM »
I saved my game to peruse information in the Aurora forum.

On trying to load the save game I get this pop-up error message box :-

" 1.13.0 : function #1168 : The given key was not present in the dictionary  "

Does anyone know what this error message means in case it requires any further investigation ?

DavidR

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #1904 on: June 01, 2021, 01:24:39 PM »
I saved my game to peruse information in the Aurora forum.

On trying to load the save game I get this pop-up error message box :-

" 1.13.0 : function #1168 : The given key was not present in the dictionary  "

Does anyone know what this error message means in case it requires any further investigation ?

DavidR

Its an error in loading movement orders. The only way I can see that happening is if there was somehow a move order with an order type that was no longer in the database. Are you running any mods?

Also, probably best to post errors in the bugs thread.