Author Topic: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition  (Read 359830 times)

Offline Mint Keyphase

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
Re: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition
« Reply #3420 on: November 17, 2023, 09:45:51 AM »
How to move commanders to different places?

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #3421 on: November 17, 2023, 09:54:03 AM »
Commanders magically scientifically teleport wherever you assign them, they don't have to be manually moved to a location.

The following users thanked this post: Mint Keyphase

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #3422 on: November 18, 2023, 10:53:53 AM »
Commanders magically scientifically teleport wherever you assign them, they don't have to be manually moved to a location.

You could manage this in VB6, but it was very taxing on your micromanagment skills outside the early game.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #3423 on: November 18, 2023, 11:42:25 AM »

You could manage this in VB6, but it was very taxing on your micromanagment skills outside the early game.

BTW, you can still do it in C# if you want the extra micromanagement. The orders exist and the commander locations are tracked, but if you assign a commander the game will instantly move them to their new location.

The following users thanked this post: lumporr

Offline lumporr

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • l
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #3424 on: November 19, 2023, 06:48:16 PM »
Is there a way to automatically rename all bodies in a system according to a naming theme, all at once? I can't figure out exactly what the buttons Rename Body All and Rename Sys All do, but they seem to just rename either the single body or the system, and you have to type in a new name. I've been renaming the bodies in major systems manually, but it's getting to be too much as my rate of expansion increases.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #3425 on: November 19, 2023, 08:46:56 PM »
No, there is a way to rename bodies with the names of Solar System objects but that's it. This is meant for games with multiple player races in Sol.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #3426 on: November 20, 2023, 02:44:18 AM »
Is there a way to automatically rename all bodies in a system according to a naming theme, all at once? I can't figure out exactly what the buttons Rename Body All and Rename Sys All do, but they seem to just rename either the single body or the system, and you have to type in a new name. I've been renaming the bodies in major systems manually, but it's getting to be too much as my rate of expansion increases.

If you change the name of a system, all the bodies without previous renaming change to the new system name. There is no way to name them all based on a specific naming theme though.

Offline prophetical

• Chief Petty Officer
  • p
« Reply #3427 on: November 20, 2023, 09:44:44 AM »
I am curious if there is an interest in being able to create different branches of your military. For instance, in the oft-used Warhammer 40k universe, being able to have both an Imperial Navy branch and an Adeptus Astartes branch. I understand that you can approximate this using admins, but was thinking of a more formal setting where ship designs might be specific to a branch along with different academies and naming conventions. Maybe that is overly challenging to implement, but wanted to throw the idea out there at least.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #3428 on: November 20, 2023, 10:21:46 AM »
At that point, why not just use 2 or more player-controlled races/powers and simulate it that way?

Offline prophetical

• Chief Petty Officer
  • p
« Reply #3429 on: November 20, 2023, 10:26:49 AM »
I think there are a number of ways to simulate it, but each have some notable downsides, which is why I was curious about a formal mechanism.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #3430 on: November 21, 2023, 04:14:55 AM »
I am curious if there is an interest in being able to create different branches of your military. For instance, in the oft-used Warhammer 40k universe, being able to have both an Imperial Navy branch and an Adeptus Astartes branch. I understand that you can approximate this using admins, but was thinking of a more formal setting where ship designs might be specific to a branch along with different academies and naming conventions. Maybe that is overly challenging to implement, but wanted to throw the idea out there at least.

I often run 40k campaigns with separate Imperial Navy and Space Marine designs using different classes, admin commands and class naming conventions. If also you want different personnel and academies, you could set up two or more commander naming themes with weights equal to the desired split and only use commanders of the specific naming theme to for each sub-race. You could setup academies the same way using two different locations - Luna being an obvious choice.

Offline prophetical

• Chief Petty Officer
  • p
« Reply #3431 on: November 21, 2023, 11:14:45 AM »

I often run 40k campaigns with separate Imperial Navy and Space Marine designs using different classes, admin commands and class naming conventions. If also you want different personnel and academies, you could set up two or more commander naming themes with weights equal to the desired split and only use commanders of the specific naming theme to for each sub-race. You could setup academies the same way using two different locations - Luna being an obvious choice.
Interesting! I hadn't considered the naming themes. Thanks for your suggestion!

Offline ChubbyPitbull

• Gold Supporter
  • Sub-Lieutenant
  • C
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #3432 on: November 22, 2023, 08:59:14 AM »
Is there a way to designate a ground unit formation as "No Commander?" I use automated assignments for ease of use and RP, and have a large Replacement Depot formation on Sol with a variety of different sub-formations with replacement infantry, tanks, supply, etc. None of these replacement formations have an HQ unit, but they're using a large number of commanders I need in forward units. I know I could manually re-assign officers every time they get auto-assigned to a replacement formation, but is there a way to flag a formation as "No Commander Required" for the auto-assignment algorithm?

Thanks!

Offline Hazard

• Commodore
  • H
« Reply #3433 on: November 22, 2023, 09:01:15 AM »
If there is no 'no commander required' box in the formation design window, I would suspect it is impossible.

That said, that doesn't mean it's bad that they have a commander. If nothing else, it increases your pool of 'spare' commanders.

The following users thanked this post: ChubbyPitbull

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #3434 on: November 22, 2023, 09:19:31 AM »
Is there a way to designate a ground unit formation as "No Commander?"

When I set up my ground commander ranks, I always do the following:

N/A NO COMMANDER
   --- --------------------------------
   A rank I'm not using yet...
   Another rank I'm not using yet
   Highest rank in use (at game start)
   Second-highest rank in use
   Lowest rank

Any formation I don't want to have a commander gets the NO COMMANDER rank. The "---" rank is never used and acts as a barrier so that no commander auto-promotes to the NO COMMANDER rank by accident. It is a bit of a clunky workaround, and it requires you to decide in advance how many ranks you will use for the entire game, but it works perfectly otherwise. There is rarely any reason to have more than 5-6 ranks anyways since higher-level formations are just redundant with the current Aurora ground HQ mechanics.

The following users thanked this post: ChubbyPitbull, Garfunkel, TheBawkHawk