Author Topic: How do normal games go? and other questions1)  (Read 3519 times)

Offline NightFalcon (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • N
How do normal games go? and other questions1)
« on: July 10, 2010, 07:15:26 PM »
The tutorial instructed me to get going by turning on StarMaster mode (I think that's the name), and choosing "instant" on several researches. It also had me produce several ships from the "Fast OOB".

Is this how you start your own games? It feels like cheating or something. If it isn't how you do your own games, then how do you?

2) Also, I have three cargo vessels transporting auto-mines to Mars. Three just arrived and have already started mining. How do I go about getting those minerals from where they are now (Mars) to where all my production is (Earth?)

3) Can I transport auto-mines to mine an asteroid? If so, how do I get those minerals back to Earth?

4) Jump points, jump gates, what does it all mean? Can someone point me to a good explanation of what all this talk of jump stuff is?

5) Civilians. I'm very hazy on what civilians do for me, and what I need to do. I made a colony on Mars. I am working on adding oxygen. When the air is breathable, will the civilians automatically start colonizing it? I understand from the tutorials that civilians will sometimes build the luxury liners and cargo vessels I have designed. Can I control those ships when they are created? Will I even know about it? What will the civilians do automatically? What should I NOT expect them to do automatically?

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: How do normal games go? and other questions1)
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 07:57:47 PM »
1. Fast OOB is to represent pre-existing construction of ships.

2. Drop a mass driver on the colony, and have 1 on your homeworld. Then on the mining tab, set the mass driver destination. Be SURE you have a mass driver at your destination, otherwise you will commence to bombard the colony. Very bad.

3. Yes. See #2.

4. Jump Points are the naturally occuring connections between stellar systems. Jump points require at least one ship to have a Jump Engine. Ships transitting are limited in size to the size of the ship mounting the Jump Engine. A Jump Gate is a man/alien/BEM-constructed artifact to enable non-jump enabled ships to transit. There is no size limit on Jump Gates.

Offline NightFalcon (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • N
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 08:30:42 PM »
Thanks!

To clarify. In order to use a jump point, I must either have a jump gate OR a jump-enabled ship?

And also, can I get this "mass driver" to an asteroid or planet via a cargo vessel?

Thanks again!

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010, 09:47:25 PM »
Yes to both.

Offline Starkiller

• Lt. Commander
  • S
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2010, 11:12:21 PM »
You can also set your mind at ease about cheating with regard to OOB and research instants. When you start a new race, you select how many research points you want to start with. On the research screen, every time you instance something,
it's research cost is deducted from your total. When your points are gone, then you can reseach normally. OOB is similiar in that you have a number of build point that go down as you OOB ships. From what I understand, this is supposed to represent a two year period of research and contruction before the game actually starts. :)

Eric

Offline NightFalcon (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • N
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2010, 09:46:12 AM »
Thanks Eric and Erik!

Do ships automatically use jump points when they can, or do I have to order them to do so?

Also, I made a colony on Mars. I am working on adding oxygen. When the air is breathable, will the civilians automatically start colonizing it? I understand from the tutorials that civilians will sometimes build the luxury liners and cargo vessels I have designed. Can I control those ships when they are created? Will I even know about it? What will the civilians do automatically? What should I NOT expect them to do automatically?

Thanks again very much!

Offline Starkiller

• Lt. Commander
  • S
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2010, 11:25:06 AM »
You'll have to order your ships through a jump point.

I believe the civvies will start sending colonists the moment the first one builds a liner, so you'll need to keep an eye on it once they do.
You'll want to make sure there is enough infrastructure to support the population, but until they build the first liner, it's not something
you need to worry about.....much. :)

Eric
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 11:31:01 AM by Starkiller »

Offline Starkiller

• Lt. Commander
  • S
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2010, 11:30:01 AM »
I should also mention that once the air is breathable, if your colony cost is zero, you will no longer need infrastructure. Also, civilian asteriod mining, luxury liners, and freighters all generate tax revenue, which is, of course, important for building and supporting a strong navy. :)

Eric

Offline laz

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2010, 12:12:53 PM »
You also need loads of minerals to support your navy. Can never have too much mine everywhere with decent accessability.

Offline NightFalcon (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • N
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2010, 12:17:40 PM »
Cool, thanks!

One more question I've come to have...

How do upgrades work? Suppose I have an Atlas class ship called Atlas 001. I go to the class design window and change the engines in the Atlas Class. Will Atlas 001 automatically get that new engine? Will it automatically go to a slipyard for upgrading? Or will that only apply to subsequent ships?

Sorry for all these questions! Thanks so much!

Offline Starkiller

• Lt. Commander
  • S
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2010, 12:43:28 PM »
As far as I remember, your obsolete ship need to be refitted at a shipyard. How long it takes depends on what needs to be refitted. I think you need to be in the same location as the shipyard, the go to the shipyard and, instead of construction, select refit, and then the ship. These are what I remember from older versions, as long as Steve hasn't changed that, it should still be the same. Subsequent builds will include the changes you've made, only ships in active service at the time of the changes need to be refitted. :)

Eric

Offline Mini

• Chief Petty Officer
  • M
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2010, 01:00:48 PM »
If you can edit a design after you have build a ship of that design it is a bug, and any changes that you make to that design will affect all ships that use that design, future or present. The intended way to 'edit' a design is to copy it and edit the copy. In this case you will need to refit the ship to the new design.

Offline Caplin

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2010, 01:07:20 PM »
Hi,
In SM mode, of course, your special powers give you the ability to unlock
already in service designs and edit them.  Those changes will take effect
immediately.  
Note that at one point after you did this you needed to individually select each
pre-existing ship of the design in the F6 screen in order for it to update.  I
don't know if this still holds.
Outside of SM, the refit procedure mentioned above applies.
Best,
Zack.

Offline Starkiller

• Lt. Commander
  • S
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2010, 01:11:02 PM »
Not really. You can 'unlock' any design you've made, and make changes to it. As far as I know, that's what the lock/unlock design buttons are for.

Eric

Offline Starkiller

• Lt. Commander
  • S
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2010, 01:12:49 PM »
crosspost! Just checked, and noticed you're right. Unlock only works in SM mode, which I didn't know since I'm always in SM mode. :)

Eric