Author Topic: What's going on in your empire/planet/battlefield?  (Read 268572 times)

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: What's going on in your empire/planet/battlefield?
« Reply #1560 on: November 15, 2016, 07:20:30 AM »
If you can get under their guns (either by depleting their magazines or waiting at a jump point), a swarm of microwave fighters easily disables invader ships, allowing your main fleet to clean up with beams at their leisure. In my current carrier/fighter game, Sol has been depleted of Gallacite, and the nearest system which has any decent reserves of it has not one, but two wormholes sitting there... its going to be a tense few years for the poor souls stationed in that system.

Added spoiler tags to previous message, since it had concrete tactical suggestion for dealing with Invaders.

John

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #1561 on: November 15, 2016, 10:18:08 AM »
And they like building jump gates. All 7 points there have them, as well as a few of the ones in the system next to Sol. Good thing my military is well under construction.
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline GodEmperor

• Commander
« Reply #1562 on: November 15, 2016, 11:04:12 AM »
Ow. And that is why I play with invaders off (at least for a long time). I don't see the fun in rolling a dice every turn with a 1 meaning "you lose the game". Especially with the amount of time it takes to set up a new game.

Well actually i could defend it. Sometimes prior to discovering xenos i stopped producing new PDC's to focus on raw industrial power ( thinking that 10 meson and 2 missile bases are more than enough to defend my planet ). If i had more missile bases armed with newest n-pulse missiles and some more meson bases, i could pull that off, after all first 2 pairs of spoiler ships were destroyed, it took four of those 60K monsters to finally finish me off :)

If you can get under their guns (either by depleting their magazines or waiting at a jump point), a swarm of microwave fighters easily disables invader ships, allowing your main fleet to clean up with beams at their leisure.

I had no fighter factories nor microwave techs :)
It was close but hey "Losing is fun". :)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 12:54:09 PM by Lossmar »
."I am Colonel-Commissar Ibram Gaunt. I am known as a fair man, unless I am pushed.
You have just pushed me."

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #1563 on: November 15, 2016, 11:39:40 AM »
Explored a few more systems, and most of them also have JGs on most of their JPs.  There are a few with bare points, but those are fewer than should be. I also double checked, and JGs on all JPs is disabled.

Also found in interesting system that has such a dense asteroid field close to the star (300 good sized ones within the orbit of Mercury for orbit comparison), that it almost looks like some early planets hit each other but didn't come back together. An interesting thing is that there is a dwarf planet just on the outside edge of the field (and it did pick up a small moon).
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Viridia

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #1564 on: November 15, 2016, 01:18:16 PM »
That looks great, wish I could find something like that. In other news, started a new game, here's hoping it goes better than the last one!

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #1565 on: November 17, 2016, 10:32:39 AM »
I did a dumbz. I was wondering why the research labs on Luna were not being delivered to a different colony as my freighters were working on it for the past year with cycled orders. Found out that I had the unload selecting Luna as well.

Offline TCD

• Lt. Commander
  • T
« Reply #1566 on: November 17, 2016, 01:19:44 PM »
In a new game my first jump point exploration from Sol lead to a single mid size but fast(ish) ship with multiple rail guns, and the predictable result for my survey ship. Okay, no biggie, great for rp, I'll explore the other jump points and come back later.

The background for this game is that the British Empire found a crashed alien ship in Egypt in the early 1800s. It's now the 1920s and we're basically at TN versions of 1st world war tech, so not only are there no missiles, there isn't even a real concept of what a missile is. There aren't fighters because we skipped over the whole Wright brothers/aeroplane thing by attaching TN drives to dreadnoughts and ocean liners.

So fast forward ten years and two generations of engine tech and I'm back with 8 specially designed fast beam destroyers with enough engines to have a decisive speed advantage. Sure, with all that space dedicated to engines they're a bit glass cannon but I can control the range to my advantage and I have enough lasers to take out a mid size beam ship in a couple of rounds.

Things start to go wrong when I'm still a hundred million kms from the target and the first strength 7 missiles start to hit. Ok, that wasn't in the plan. There weren't any missiles in the last engagement. Does the spoiler have missile launchers which it chose not to use last time? Are there some distant or small missiles ships out there somewhere that I can't see? By the time the missiles run out 3 of my 8 ships are down and the other 5 have suffered heavy damage and have little armor left, their speeds cut in half and most weapon systems off line. That's about the time the rail gun ship arrives. You can imagine how things go from here.

Ouch.

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #1567 on: November 17, 2016, 01:31:45 PM »
The background for this game is that the British Empire found a crashed alien ship in Egypt in the early 1800s. It's now the 1920s and we're basically at TN versions of 1st world war tech, so not only are there no missiles, there isn't even a real concept of what a missile is.
While this does make some sense, shouldn't they know about the concept of a torpedo as the first "modern" torpedo was designed in the 1860s? So wouldn't it also occur to them that they can add TN engines to torpedoes? Just sayin.

Offline TCD

• Lt. Commander
  • T
« Reply #1568 on: November 17, 2016, 01:44:55 PM »
While this does make some sense, shouldn't they know about the concept of a torpedo as the first "modern" torpedo was designed in the 1860s? So wouldn't it also occur to them that they can add TN engines to torpedoes? Just sayin.
Darn you and your facts! You are probably correct.

To be fair to myself, the RN mostly ignored torpedoes, and as far as I can see they were pretty niche until submarines came around. In my world the British put TN engines and meson cannons on their ironclads and after that warfare pretty much ended and a true Pax Britannica descended. I think I can therefore forgive my crusty old admirals for neglecting to add anti-torpedo defences to the fleet.

Offline Xkill

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #1569 on: November 17, 2016, 06:31:03 PM »
After a month long hiatus from Aurora, I have just witnessed the worst NPR fleet ever. They managed to make the worst possible combinations based on the characteristics of their fleet.

They were armed with Plasma Carronades!!! While cruising at 1275km/s!!! Effectively unarmoured with only 1 layer on all their ships, from the 9000t Heavy Frigates to the 18000t Heavy Cruisers. 35m/km Active Sensors were effectively useless.

First time I saw their ships after discovering this NPR was when they sent 2 Anti-FAC ships to my homesystem. I didn't like that and blew them up. These two ships had missiles but they were rubbish. I intercepted them all with just one frigate.

After a while they sent a full fleet of 12 ships, though initially I only saw 7. I outnumbered them quite heavily with 18 frigates and cruisers plus 3 light carriers and full complements of small craft on all ships. With all this tonnage at my disposal, I was pretty confident that it would be a quick battle, but I had no idea it would be so one sided.

They sent 6 9000t frigates first, accompanied by an 18000t heavy cruiser. I detached a frigate group plus all 27 bombers from the carriers. I decided to follow their fleet at 80mkm. I launched all the MIRVs in the frigates at the CA and assigned 3 bombers to each of the NPR frigates, keeping a reserve to avoid overkill.

The NPR did not have any AMMs or even beam PD so the bus and later the submunitions went in without opposition. The CA was destroyed straight away while the frigates were only crippled. I ordered the rest of the bombers to launch the remaining missiles at the cripples, but made a mistake by ordering the detachment to rejoin with the main fleet while the buses were still en route, (and relying on the actives on the frigates to spot their targets) forcing some of them to self-destruct. The ships that did take hits were totally crushed leaving only 2 cripples. After the impacts I sent the detachment to rejoin the fleet, while also ordering the main fleet to close with the cripples to destroy them from 50mkm.

On the way there I detected the other 5 ships: 2 Missile CAs; 1 I presume, beam CA and 2 frigates. I changed course to follow these new ships at 100mkm. As I got in range of the cripples I destroyed them with missiles from my frigates. Then after closing with the previously unknown ships, I targeted the 9000t ships with my frigates and the 18000 tonners with my cruisers. Again no PD of any kind. The impact was quite brutal; one of the cruisers blew up spectacularly amidst 150 missile impacts and 14 strengh-18/19 magazine explosions. This last salvo ended the "battle".

With such slow ships they should have focused completely on missiles and especially PD; but instead they decided to use close range beam weapons, choosing one of the shortest ranged weapons in the game, and apparently not even bothering to put in any PD at all! This NPR is a complete failure. I dont think even their low tech level can excuse such uselessness.

I would not even call this a test for my MIRV ships as it was such a one sided massacre. Even new players that never even touched the game can make a better fleet than this one.

Offline lennson

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • l
« Reply #1570 on: November 17, 2016, 09:11:46 PM »
After a month long hiatus from Aurora, I have just witnessed the worst NPR fleet ever. They managed to make the worst possible combinations based on the characteristics of their fleet.

I would not even call this a test for my MIRV ships as it was such a one sided massacre. Even new players that never even touched the game can make a better fleet than this one.

As far as I can tell the way NPR technology advances is random so it is possible to come across some rather silly outcomes.

Offline TCD

• Lt. Commander
  • T
« Reply #1571 on: November 18, 2016, 09:12:47 AM »
As far as I can tell the way NPR technology advances is random so it is possible to come across some rather silly outcomes.
To be honest, given the complexity of designing a ship in Aurora it's a surprise this doesn't happen more often. That said. it sounds as if the op had a massive tech advantage in engines at least, so that would be a very hard hurdle for any ship design to overcome. There may be some justification for forcing NPR tech to include a certain % as engine development, I think its easily the most important tech for combat.

Offline Bughunter

• Bug Moderators
  • Rear Admiral
  • Discord Username: Bughunter
« Reply #1572 on: November 20, 2016, 02:12:40 PM »
Had my taskforce patiently waiting to ambush some aliens I knew to be around but they never showed up for the party. So I somewhat carelessly transited back to the system I came from, there they were waiting even more patiently. Strength 32 laser hits hitting me within 5 seconds, bye bye taskforce  :'(

Offline smoelf

• Commander
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #1573 on: November 21, 2016, 03:07:19 PM »
Wanted to give a little update 46 years into my current game, which the longest I have managed so far. It's has also been quite interesting.

The biggest threat at present time is likely the aliens first encountered in the Herning system. You can see that a number of systems are marked as controlled by them. These are the systems, in which I have encountered their ships. They are branching out a lot, and we're excited about the prospect of figuring out the web of jumpgates that lie behind our southern" border. They have shown their presence in system chains that go through Sol, so either we're really blind or there is some interesting cross-gating going on. They also seem quite aggressive. We have not been able to establish communication, and a deep space survey vessel managed to witness their assault on the home planet of another alien race in the Faborg system. Unfortunately we lost the survey vessel as it tried a reckless rescue maneuver, and was blown to pieces.

A more immediate threat, however, is the Livorno empire situated in the Grena system. Friendly at first and open to communications, but they expanded their gate network too fast, and measures to be taken to ensure control of our own borders. A war ensued more than a decade ago, but everything has been quiet for quite some years now. Until recently, when a new host of gatebuilders flooded through and continued their work. Have suffered heavy losses we were unable to respond to this new presence, but within a year our fleet will be rebuild and heavily upgraded. Which is fortunate, as a Gas giant in Randers holds immense amounts of Sorium, and control of that could provide for the next generations (500 mill at 0.9 acc.). Furthermore, we are running low on gallicite, and if this fleet doesn't pull through, it will be decades before we can muster a proper response once more.

Offline TCD

• Lt. Commander
  • T
« Reply #1574 on: November 21, 2016, 04:14:43 PM »
Had my taskforce patiently waiting to ambush some aliens I knew to be around but they never showed up for the party. So I somewhat carelessly transited back to the system I came from, there they were waiting even more patiently. Strength 32 laser hits hitting me within 5 seconds, bye bye taskforce  :'(
Wow, unfortunate for you but a great example of AI. Didn't think they had it in them to pull of something like that.