Author Topic: Just ran into the Spoilers. Please advise.  (Read 4320 times)

Offline Llamatoesl (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • L
Just ran into the Spoilers. Please advise.
« on: May 31, 2014, 02:53:34 PM »
I sent a survey ship into Ross 248.  it seems the Star Swarm are in this system.  Will they spread? This system is only 4 jumps from Sol.  is it worth assaulting the system? I'm currently using laminate Armour and internal fusion drives.  I'm largely missile based, but I don't have actives powerful enough to detect the buggers.

Should I attempt an assault with my six destroyers and three cruisers?
Should I pray to high heaven they don't come knocking?
Should I leave the system be and use it as a nature reserve/proving ground?

Offline PSI

• Chief Petty Officer
  • P
Re: Just ran into the Spoilers. Please advise.
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 03:21:03 PM »
I don't know the answers to those questions, but I do know what weapons they use...spoilered just in case you don't know and you'd like to find out by yourself.

They use mesons. Mesons go through armor and shields and directly cause internal damage.

However, I think it might be the most fun if you figure out for yourself what the space bugs are gonna do.

Iranon

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 03:44:46 PM »
They can reach scary numbers, and I would advise against a "fair" fight.
Fortunately, it's relatively easy to build vessels that counter them hard.

Offline Panopticon

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • P
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2014, 03:54:02 PM »
They have pretty easy counters yeah, if the rest of your tech is at the level of your armor and engines, you shouldn't have a problem with them.

As to if they spread, the answer to that is maybe. I have never seen them spread in my games, but there are quite a few other people who report otherwise, including Steve in some of his AARs. It is unpredictable basically. At the very least you want to picket that JP though.

Offline Llamatoesl (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • L
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2014, 04:00:53 PM »
Quote from: PSI link=topic=7229. msg73519#msg73519 date=1401567663
I don't know the answers to those questions, but I do know what weapons they use. . . spoilered just in case you don't know and you'd like to find out by yourself.

They use mesons.  Mesons go through armor and shields and directly cause internal damage.

However, I think it might be the most fun if you figure out for yourself what the space bugs are gonna do.

I will use your advice.  With Mesons, It is advisable to take the buggers out at long range.  I shall design some cruisers with high speed, low yield, mid range missiles and massive sensors. 
But do they come out of their systems?

Offline Llamatoesl (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • L
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2014, 04:23:45 PM »
This is proposed missile design for taking out the Swarm. 
Missile Size: 4 MSP  (0.  2 HS)     Warhead: 6    Armour: 0     Manoeuvre Rating: 38
Speed: 19200 km/s    Engine Endurance: 21 minutes   Range: 24.  5m km
Cost Per Missile: 4.  7
Chance to Hit: 1k km/s 729.  6%   3k km/s 228%   5k km/s 145.  9%   10k km/s 73%
Materials Required:    1.  5x Tritanium   3.  2x Gallicite   Fuel x1600

Code: [Select]
Size 4 Anti-ship Missile "Flyswat"
I've got a design for an anti-bug frigate.   I intend to have it weigh in at under 6000 tonnes.   I'm eschewing Armour and shields for tough magazines, speed and sensors. 
The vessel will carry those missiles and my more powerful size 8  missiles, (two launchers to fire them as well) for dealing with mother-ships. 
I want to some Macross style fireworks from this

Hopefully the femtosecond these boys turn up, they won't get curb stomped by everything .
EDIT: I'm having to change my entire combat doctrine from heavily armored warships slugging it out to smaller and faster vessels speedboats who will tear me to shreds the second they get close.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 04:29:04 PM by Llamatoesl »

Offline Panopticon

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • P
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2014, 04:29:21 PM »
Missiles are... not ideal for taking out motherships, unless you can get seriously large or rapid firing salvos, you are likely to run dry before accomplishing much.

Offline Llamatoesl (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • L
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2014, 04:37:46 PM »
Quote from: Panopticon link=topic=7229. msg73524#msg73524 date=1401571761
Missiles are. . .  not ideal for taking out motherships, unless you can get seriously large or rapid firing salvos, you are likely to run dry before accomplishing much.
Well then what is? Do i have to murder all of the soldiers and then wait until all my regular destroyers and cruisers? can get out and launch every single missile in my arsenal at the target?

Iranon

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2014, 01:04:40 AM »
The problem with missiles is that the Swarm uses powerful shields, making this very expensive.. My favoured tool against them is a "Fisher's Follies" type cruiser... big guns, ludicrous speed, flimsy.
Depending on my tech level it my be just a big gun with engines and a ridiculously short service life.

If I can afford to make it a reasonably balanced ship, I like having something fast with big (spinal?) lasers and small railguns anyway:
Put all weapons that benefit from speed on the fastest reasonable hull, make some missiles packs if I need speed and standoff range, have the rest of my fleet be relatively slow and armed with missiles/turreted beams.

Offline Panopticon

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • P
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2014, 01:49:26 AM »
For motherships you only need something fast enough to not get caught by them, and with a beam weapon of some variety that outranges their guns, it is generally pretty easy to do, although some experimenting might be needed to find the right range. Missiles for the little guys, beams for the big one.

Offline Llamatoesl (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • L
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2014, 01:14:29 PM »
Quote from: Iranon link=topic=7229. msg73531#msg73531 date=1401602680
The problem with missiles is that the Swarm uses powerful shields, making this very expensive. .  My favoured tool against them is a "Fisher's Follies" type cruiser. . .  big guns, ludicrous speed, flimsy.
Depending on my tech level it my be just a big gun with engines and a ridiculously short service life.

If I can afford to make it a reasonably balanced ship, I like having something fast with big (spinal?) lasers and small railguns anyway:
Put all weapons that benefit from speed on the fastest reasonable hull, make some missiles packs if I need speed and standoff range, have the rest of my fleet be relatively slow and armed with missiles/turreted beams.

Okay.  i shall take that advice and build myself a series of cruisers that take hits badly, and consist of a large meson cannon, some engines and nothing else.
All of this stuff is highly situational. 
Fun.

Offline SteelChicken

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2014, 07:24:02 AM »
The fun of the game is going out there and fighting them with what you got and see what happens.   If you get your butt kicked, that can be fun too.

Offline sneer

• Lt. Commander
  • s
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2014, 11:46:34 AM »
no matter mothership shield strenght you can still go with big salvos
it is sad but is is remedy on everything in game
just big enough salvos  ;D

Offline Llamatoesl (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • L
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2014, 12:02:58 PM »
no matter mothership shield strenght you can still go with big salvos
it is sad but is is remedy on everything in game
just big enough salvos  ;D
Some of us don't have the sort of missile stockpiles that you have, buster.

Offline NihilRex

• Lieutenant
  • N
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2014, 10:59:16 PM »
If you build dedicated Countermissile ships, they work real well against the mamas.