Author Topic: Military space stations  (Read 2991 times)

Offline Vortex421 (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • V
Military space stations
« on: May 22, 2020, 12:05:53 PM »
I could really use some help in understanding the mechanics (and even a few examples wouldn't hurt) of space stations that are more military in nature.  I know you can build non-armored space stations through the Industry tab, but my problem is that if I try to design a decent station with military equipment on it, it quickly gets too big for my military shipyards to handle.

Anyways, I know it may be a broad topic, but any help would be welcome at this point!

Offline consiefe

• Lieutenant
  • c
Re: Military space stations
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2020, 12:10:59 PM »
Yes, if you stick any military equipment on a station, it can no longer be built by industry. You need naval shipyard capacity enough for that particular station. 

But, that's not much of a problem because you shouldn't build gigantic military stations anyway. You can build commercial stations for all the purposes which needs very big modules like fuel harvesting, terraforming, maintaining etc. Other than that you can build 10-20k military station to complete your complexes. Military stations can get recreation and maintenance from commercial station's modules and military station brings guns for protection.

Offline Ri0Rdian

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • Discord Username: Ri0Rdian#3639
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2020, 12:40:25 PM »
Military stations should never be as big that it will not fit your shipyard. If it is you are probably oversizing a lot or putting too many tasks on it. The most common one will be either JP defence one or a planetary defence one (which might or might not even be the same one). Actually, the only military station is the one you put weapons on. Rest is better served by civilian.
Also, don't forget deployment time and obsolence.

Such station is essentially a ship but does not need engines or fuel (and engines are a big % size!) so why the hell is it that big that you cannot build it in the first place?  ???

Offline Vortex421 (OP)

• V
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2020, 12:44:36 PM »
Then perhaps I'm thinking about it wrong, I'm not sure... if I deploy a station out at, say, a jump point, it's going to accrue maintenance.  What's the best way to keep that from happening?  I also thought you had to have a recreational module on it, which is why the size was getting out of hand.

If there's a good guide to this, I'd love to see it. My searches haven't turned up much on the subject, hence why I've posted here! :)

Offline consiefe

• Lieutenant
  • c
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2020, 12:50:54 PM »
What does a military station/ship require?

Main things would be maintenance and deployement time. So you can make a big commercial station with maintenance modules with enough tonnage capacity and a recreation module if in deep space (if it is on a colony of at least 50k pop, you don't need recreation module) and then you put this commercial station to desired position via tugs.

Second, you build a relatively very small military station from shipyard. Then you tug it to the exact same location with your commercial station. Done!

Offline Vortex421 (OP)

• V
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2020, 12:57:47 PM »

Main things would be maintenance and deployement time. So you can make a big commercial station with maintenance modules with enough tonnage capacity and a recreation module if in deep space (if it is on a colony of at least 50k pop, you don't need recreation module) and then you put this commercial station to desired position via tugs.

Second, you build a relatively very small military station from shipyard. Then you tug it to the exact same location with your commercial station. Done!

So, in theory, if I were to build a military station with fairly high-grade sensors that I was going to use as an early-warning outpost, I'd have to have the large commercial station as well to ensure that there weren't any issues with maintenance/deployment time? 

I'm just a little concerned that this defeats the whole goal of having these sorts of "forward bases" if you have to tie in a monstrosity of a commercial station to it.  But if that's the way it has to be, I guess that's the way it has to be?

Offline JacenHan

• Captain
  • Discord Username: Jacenhan
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2020, 01:02:48 PM »
If the station is small (such as a simple sensor outpost) you could give it a high, 15-20 year maintenance/deployment life and just scrap and replace it when you need a new one. Another alternative to a maintenance base is to build 2-3 stations and rotate them in and out of overhaul with tugs, though that requires more micro-management and is more expensive.

Offline Ulzgoroth

• Captain
  • U
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2020, 01:07:35 PM »

So, in theory, if I were to build a military station with fairly high-grade sensors that I was going to use as an early-warning outpost, I'd have to have the large commercial station as well to ensure that there weren't any issues with maintenance/deployment time? 

I'm just a little concerned that this defeats the whole goal of having these sorts of "forward bases" if you have to tie in a monstrosity of a commercial station to it.  But if that's the way it has to be, I guess that's the way it has to be?
Aurora doesn't especially support forward-deployed stationary battlestations. You can build them, but they're subject to the same deployment concerns as any other military ships, without the ability to take themselves home under their own power.

Immobile warships work better as defenders of fleet bases, either colonies (mostly useful because we don't have ground-based missile launchers I think) or sites with recreation and maintenance space stations.

Offline consiefe

• Lieutenant
  • c
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2020, 01:07:39 PM »
It's all about size. For example if you only want to build a 2500 tonnes military observation base then you can use little maintenance ships as your needed modules would be light. Recreation is a bit more problematic as that module is heavy.

However I don't suggest you to build stations for only observation purposes anyway because there are way better and cheaper options for that.

1) You can choose a series of planets/asteroids/comets and stack deep space tracking sensors on them. They give a good coverage if you stack them together and/or research their tech.

2) You can design buoys with whatever sensors you want on them and deploy them to a jump point/waypoint. This is so effective I always use them. Usually dirt cheap and doesn't need any babysitting whatsoever.

Edit: I only think about using big station complexes if I plan to protect or take advantage of a strategical point with a big powerful gun castle. Otherwise military stations on per important colony is enough, which being on a colony takes care of most of the problems.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 01:12:45 PM by consiefe »

Offline SpikeTheHobbitMage

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2020, 01:14:36 PM »
If the station is small (such as a simple sensor outpost) you could give it a high, 15-20 year maintenance/deployment life and just scrap and replace it when you need a new one. Another alternative to a maintenance base is to build 2-3 stations and rotate them in and out of overhaul with tugs, though that requires more micro-management and is more expensive.
Simple sensor outposts can often be done with sensor buoys, which have the advantage of not needing maintenance.

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2020, 03:34:54 PM »
Simple sensor outposts can often be done with sensor buoys, which have the advantage of not needing maintenance.

+1

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2020, 09:34:05 AM »

No.  Especially if it's only going to have sensors.  Give it a few extra engineering spaces and maintenance storage bays so it's unlikely to break down between visits from the resupply ship, and largely ignore the deployment time.  Over-running deployment time only causes a penalty to crew morale, and morale mostly affects shooting, surveying, reloading & repairing.  A 'sensor base' isn't going to be doing that.

Now, an armed base needs to keep morale up, which means either a long deployment time, local recreation facilities, or regular visits from an R&R ship.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2020, 09:37:48 AM »
I could really use some help in understanding the mechanics (and even a few examples wouldn't hurt) of space stations that are more military in nature.  I know you can build non-armored space stations through the Industry tab, but my problem is that if I try to design a decent station with military equipment on it, it quickly gets too big for my military shipyards to handle.

Anyways, I know it may be a broad topic, but any help would be welcome at this point!

Design ship.
Remove engines.
(optional) Fill 'engine' space with more 'military' stuff.

Heck, if you do it right, you can even build such a station in the yard tooled for the ship you modified it from.  My big beam battleships turn into nice little fortresses when I swap the engines for armour & two more main battery turrets.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 01:12:53 PM by Father Tim »

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2020, 12:01:36 PM »
My big beam battleships turn into nice little fortresses when i swap the engines for armour & two more main battery turrets.

That is a really good idea for making use of old ships.