Author Topic: Boarding  (Read 2831 times)

Offline Gabethebaldandbold (OP)

• last member of the noob swarm
  • Lt. Commander
Boarding
« on: May 26, 2020, 11:10:03 PM »
Do units in boarding combat use ground supply points? if yes, is it at the same rate per rounds of regular ground combat?
To beam, or not to beam.   That is the question
the answer is you beam. and you better beam hard.

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
Re: Boarding
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2020, 11:29:31 PM »
Do units in boarding combat use ground supply points? if yes, is it at the same rate per rounds of regular ground combat?

They do at the same rate and as boarding combat doesn't last that long I don't think you never actually reach the 8 hours click. This last bit of info is based on personal experience and hasn't been addressed either by Steve or by the post below.

more info here http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=8495.msg111751#msg111751

However, in saying that to boarding the same rules of ground combat apply it is reasonable to assume the above statement I made to be true.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 12:22:22 AM by froggiest1982 »

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2020, 11:38:03 PM »
Note that since writing that post, Steve changed boarding combat to take place every 30 seconds instead of the original 60 seconds. I've never run out of supply during boarding combat so the usual "10 rounds of combat for 8 hours per round" isn't changed to "10 rounds of combat for 30 seconds per round" - it's probably still the same 10x8 hours.

Offline DFNewb

• Captain
  • D
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2020, 11:54:40 PM »
After 20+ boarding combats I have yet to see any of them drop under 100 percent supply.

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2020, 12:20:56 AM »
Note that since writing that post, Steve changed boarding combat to take place every 30 seconds instead of the original 60 seconds. I've never run out of supply during boarding combat so the usual "10 rounds of combat for 8 hours per round" isn't changed to "10 rounds of combat for 30 seconds per round" - it's probably still the same 10x8 hours.

I didn't know that, so thanks for telling me so I can change my notes :-)

After 20+ boarding combats I have yet to see any of them drop under 100 percent supply.

Same here, even with the above I haven't seen any boarding combat to last more than 10 to 15 minutes.

Offline Borealis4x

• Commodore
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2020, 01:27:32 AM »
I wonder in what situation you'd actually want to board an enemy. Its very risky, both for the ship that has to get close and the boarding party which is probably very expensive for its size.

Offline DFNewb

• Captain
  • D
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2020, 01:32:59 AM »
I wonder in what situation you'd actually want to board an enemy. Its very risky, both for the ship that has to get close and the boarding party which is probably very expensive for its size.

Works out a lot better than you expect...
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 01:36:35 AM by DFNewb »

Offline xenoscepter

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2020, 01:35:30 AM »
Because no matter how crunchy they are on the outside, they're full of ooey, gooey, nougat-y crew members goodness inside.

...Security teams notwithstanding of course...

Offline sneer

• Lt. Commander
  • s
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2020, 02:31:58 AM »
If you can knock out spoilers ships in early-mid game captured ships can provide nice boost

Offline Zincat

• Captain
  • Z
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2020, 06:11:27 AM »
Every captured fleet is good minerals. Plus potentially tech.
Works only if you can avoid losing your ships in the process  ;D

And yes, early game or in a very close war, seizing up the enemy ships can be a boost. Building ships takes time and minerals.

Offline AlStar

• Lieutenant
  • Flag Maker Flag Maker : For creating Flags for Aurora
    Race Maker Race Maker : Creating race images
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2020, 11:45:00 AM »
Because no matter how crunchy they are on the outside, they're full of ooey, gooey, nougat-y crew members goodness inside.

I haven't played with boarding yet - do some of the AI ships and/or spoilers come with troop contingents on board?
Are NPCs smart enough to start equipping their ships with troops if you're actively stealing their ships?

Offline DFNewb

• Captain
  • D
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2020, 11:46:56 AM »

I haven't played with boarding yet - do some of the AI ships and/or spoilers come with troop contingents on board?
Are NPCs smart enough to start equipping their ships with troops if you're actively stealing their ships?

I don't think the NPR's put any troops on their ships even after seeing you capture them. I have not boarded any spoilers yet.

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2020, 12:40:47 PM »
also it provides you with very important inteligence about the exact capabilities of your enemies, and their technology, and allows you to plan acordingly, in acordance to the capabilities of your enemy. you can get important data such as their armour tech, and sensor tech, much faster than you would with salvage, letting you get away with more bullsmeg. you can then have a better expectation for what you are going to fae on ground combat, allowing for adjustments in ground troops long long before you even find their home planet.

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2020, 12:44:13 PM »
also, if you do boarding, you can capture even the toughest of ships, and depending on how fast they/you are and how many casualties you are ok with, you could capture even the toughest of ships basically intact, using only microwave cannons to make them defenseless

Offline liveware

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2020, 06:56:45 PM »
In addition to the above reasons given for why one would be interesting in boarding hostile ships (intel, tech, minerals, etc...) boarding has a place as part of a larger combined-arms approach to fleet composition. You might not want to build ONLY boarding craft, but having a few mixed in with your more conventional combat ships adds a lot of depth to the game.
Open the pod-bay doors HAL...