Author Topic: No Deployment Clock for commercial ships  (Read 1589 times)

Offline Deathwalk (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • D
No Deployment Clock for commercial ships
« on: June 07, 2020, 02:36:10 PM »
Now that commercial ships don't lose morale / have a deployment clock, few questions:

- What's the purpose of recreational modules? Don't orbital module folks in deep space count as a colony? Or do they still need a rec module?
- What's the purpose of setting a big deployment time for commercial ships? I used to have this as multi years for terraformers /AMMs - isn't that needed anymore?

Offline Migi

• Captain
Re: No Deployment Clock for commercial ships
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2020, 02:52:53 PM »
Now that commercial ships don't lose morale / have a deployment clock, few questions:
This isn't a change from VB.

- What's the purpose of recreational modules? Don't orbital module folks in deep space count as a colony? Or do they still need a rec module?
Recreational modules are for military ships. AFIK orbital modules don't provide population space on a ship, they provide it on a body.

- What's the purpose of setting a big deployment time for commercial ships? I used to have this as multi years for terraformers /AMMs - isn't that needed anymore?
There isn't any, just set it at 3 months.

Offline Ri0Rdian

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • Discord Username: Ri0Rdian#3639
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2020, 02:55:26 PM »
There has been no change to commercials afaik, deployment was never a thing and morale did not matter for them.

As for recreational modules vs colony/orbital, it is much easier (and cheaper) to plop down a small station with Recreational module than a huge (and expensive) orbital. Ideally you can use your orbital for shore leave but it is not always possible... and not everyone uses Orbital habs.

Deployment is 3 months, no need for more or less.

Offline Gabrote42

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • G
  • Waiting until I have the Time to play.
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2020, 08:57:19 AM »
I believe he was referring to this part of the changes list:
Crew Morale

An issue in VB6 is that crew morale is checked for all ships, yet for many ships (anything that is not a military ship or doesn't mount survey sensors), the morale is effectively irrelevant.

Therefore in C# Aurora, only ships for which morale is a potential issue will be checked for exceeding deployment time.  This check is indicated by the addition of 'MCR' to the end of the Intended Deployment Time row of the class summary.

The requirement for a ship to have at least a 3 month deployment time in order to be classed as a non-military vessel still remains.

What this meant i that vessels for which morale didn't matter were now exempt from the checks.  It changed things under the hood for performance, more than anything.
Everyone asks me why I like The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.  In actuality, my username predates my knowledge of the books.