Author Topic: Managing Survey Task Groups  (Read 3327 times)

Offline JimiD (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • J
Managing Survey Task Groups
« on: February 18, 2010, 08:05:22 AM »
I seem to spend most of my time dividing survey ships out of their Jump Tender Task Groups, then a bit later, assimilating them again, and deleting the individual survey Task Groups.

Is there some clever way of ordering the survey ships to return to their parent ship, and join that Task Group, which automatically deletes the now empty Task Group?

I have the second conditional order, currently either to return to entry Jump Point, or to Parent ship, but not join up.

That would save me a lot of clicks, as I have about 6 survey ships with each Tender.

Offline Venec

• Chief Petty Officer
  • V
Re: Managing Survey Task Groups
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 08:13:12 AM »
This maybe a stupid answer, but have you tried slapping on survey ships jump drive, tons of fuel and engines and just letting one ship per system? Also, you can design civilian geosurvey ships and civies will make use of them without bothering their imperial majesty :)

Offline James Patten

• Lt. Commander
  • J
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 09:09:34 AM »
There's a command that I am quite fond of, "Transfer, and divide into single ships".  This makes one task group per ship in the original task group.  One of the ships in the group (I think it may be the largest ship) becomes the "master" task group, the rest are "sub" task groups (that's not the right terminology but it's close).  So "SG Alpha" is broken off into groups of "SG Alpha", "SG Alpha I", "SG Alpha II", etc.  SG Alpha is the commanding task group for the others.

When done, use either the "Join" command by clicking on the master TG and selecting Join, or I think there's another command which gathers all subgroups into the master group.

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 10:25:11 AM »
It´s the "Assemble" command (task group window, lower right).
It´ll put all subordinate groups that are at the same point in space with the master TG into the master TG (you have to select the master TG for this to work.

If you give your survey ship the secondary default order to "move to entry jumppoint" and park the mothershipthere (usually, I have the survey groups jumpship there) there, all you have to do is hit the Assemble-button, when you get the message "survey group Alpha #2 has finished its orders".
Ralph Hoenig, Germany

Offline ZimRathbone

• Captain
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 06:37:54 AM »
Quote from: "JimiD"
I seem to spend most of my time dividing survey ships out of their Jump Tender Task Groups, then a bit later, assimilating them again, and deleting the individual survey Task Groups.

Is there some clever way of ordering the survey ships to return to their parent ship, and join that Task Group, which automatically deletes the now empty Task Group?

I have the second conditional order, currently either to return to entry Jump Point, or to Parent ship, but not join up.

That would save me a lot of clicks, as I have about 6 survey ships with each Tender.

Theres a usefull sequence of orders you can set up with your survey fleets - this assumes that you have all the ships to carry out the survey in one task group, that your TG contains only one kind of surveyor (Geo or Grav), and that you're not in the system to be surveyed (yet), but that the system HAS been probed (ie you're not going into an unexplored WP - if you are you just have to add the steps from 5 onward after one of your units has transited in for the first time - the options wont appear until then)

In the Task Groups window (F12)

On the Special Orders / Organsisation Tab

1> set up Primary default orders to carry out surveying -
for my Stellar (Grav) Survey Groups I usually set Survey Nearest Survey Location, (Next 3 system locations is marginally more efficient)
for Planetary (Geo) Survey Groups set Survey Nearest Planet or Moon

2> Set up Secondary default orders to return to the entry JP (note this sometimes has to be reset after each cycle)

3> Set  Conditional order A to "Sub Fleet in Same Location" & "Incorporate Sub Fleets in same location"

3> Set  Conditional order B to "Current Speed Less tahn Max" & "Increase Speed to Max"

4> On the Task Force Orders tab Set up orders to Transit to the required system

5> From the WP you have just entered by set up "Detach Non Survey Ships" order

6> From the WP you have just entered by set up "Divide Fleet into single Ships" order

This will get the group to split up & survey in a moderately efficient manner, and once there are no more places to survey move back to the entry WP and combine back into a single TG, it also leaves any support ships at the entry WP (as guards or whatever).  This works reasonably well whether there is only 1 Jump capable ship or every ship has a jump drive.  You will have some idle time as the ships reassemble, and until the parent TG fleet gets there, you will see the child TGs that have already finished sitting at the JP complaining that they cant fulfill their survey order :-(

You can survey every body if you wish for geos -  I rarely survey asteroids / comets as the effort involved in terms of survey ship time is not often worth it. If your TG is entirely made up of survey ships then at step 4 you can use Transit & Divide Fleet - I often have a tanker with my surveyors so I dont use this (it would send off the tanker to survey something, which would never get completed!).  I'd love it if there were more default options, as I'd then make the Geos survey Planets, then Moons, then return to the start point, which would make this much more efficient (at the moment all the geos go to the nearest planet/moon system)
Slàinte,

Mike

Offline Hyfrydle

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • H
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 02:26:59 PM »
Quote from: "James Patten"
There's a command that I am quite fond of, "Transfer, and divide into single ships".  This makes one task group per ship in the original task group.  One of the ships in the group (I think it may be the largest ship) becomes the "master" task group, the rest are "sub" task groups (that's not the right terminology but it's close).  So "SG Alpha" is broken off into groups of "SG Alpha", "SG Alpha I", "SG Alpha II", etc.  SG Alpha is the commanding task group for the others.

Has anyone any idea how the commanding ship is chosen when this command is used?

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 03:22:46 PM »
It's the one that's listed first in the original task group, which I believe makes it alphabetical.

Offline Hyfrydle

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • H
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2010, 04:21:57 PM »
Quote from: "Father Tim"
It's the one that's listed first in the original task group, which I believe makes it alphabetical.

Just tested this and it didn't select the first ship it selected one halfway down the list very annoying. While I'm on how on Earth do I load missiles used the load ordnance command and the magazines are still empty very annoying.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2010, 04:30:20 PM »
Quote from: "Hyfrydle"
used the load ordnance command and the magazines are still empty very annoying.

Did you set a default loadout on the class-design/F5 screen (2nd tab IIRC)?  You need to....

John

Offline Hyfrydle

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • H
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2010, 05:56:39 PM »
Quote from: "sloanjh"
Quote from: "Hyfrydle"
used the load ordnance command and the magazines are still empty very annoying.

Did you set a default loadout on the class-design/F5 screen (2nd tab IIRC)?  You need to....

John

Fantastic something else I've learned. Thanks for all your help.

Offline Odhrean

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • O
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2012, 10:54:29 AM »
Quote from: Hyfrydle link=topic=2263. msg25112#msg25112 date=1272310019
Has anyone any idea how the commanding ship is chosen when this command is used?

Sorry that i digged out this thread.
The Question was not answered and I have the following problem:

My Survey-Fleet contains a Jump-Capable FAC Tender and 7x1000 Ton Survey Vessels.
After Jump I launch all Parasites manually (. . .  poorly there is no fleet order for that) and give order "Divide Fleet into Single Ships".
Default Orders are "Survey next five system bodies" and "Follow Higher Fleet in System"
The first times this works very well, after finishing the surveys all vessels returned to the FAC Tender.

Now when I give the order "Divide Fleet into Single Ships" the Higher ("Master") Fleet is not the FAC Tender but one of the Survey Vessels.
How is the commanding ship chosen and how can I control this behavior?

BTW: This is my first post here and I must thank you for this great game. 
It already stole Days of my live and I fear years will follow :)

Offline se5a

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2012, 04:34:27 AM »
I think it's the captain with the highest rank

ie assign a higher rank to the tender and lower ranks to the parasites.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 04:45:30 AM by se5a »

Offline Odhrean

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • O
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2012, 02:48:29 PM »
Poorly that's not working.
I even left the parasites without commanders for a test and the same survey ship got command of the higher fleet nonetheless.
But it's always the same survey ship out of the seven, so there must be a reason for it. . .

Offline se5a

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2012, 06:42:08 PM »
Oh my bad. you're right.
is it based on the design name maybe?

Offline Odhrean

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • O
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2012, 07:26:01 PM »
I did rename the Tender with a Leading A. . .  didn't work. . .
I now notices that the ship which gets the Master Fleet is the last build ship so I think Aurora chooses the ship with the highest internal ID.
So I must detach all Survey Ships manually after launch. . .  :-[