Author Topic: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition  (Read 358859 times)

Offline Black

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • B
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
Re: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition
« Reply #525 on: October 18, 2020, 02:06:55 AM »
Is there any advantage to picking up NPR lifepods after you've beaten them in battle?  Do you learn anything about their species?

I have a feeling that the NPR I'm fighting (which is one I manually created) was messed up by my initial setup.   There are only 19M of them on their homeworld (which is Venusian) and I wanted to see if their species was able to live on a Venusian world.   I think their population went from billions to 19M over 50 years of game time, but I can't be sure.

Something similar happen in my 1.11. game, but not to such extreme. Alien homeworld was not ideal for them and their population tanked. In my case their homeworld was colony cost 1.8 for them, as it did not have enough hydrosphere. The NPR in my case was generated by the game not by me.

Offline replicant2699

• Petty Officer
  • r
« Reply #526 on: October 18, 2020, 02:51:04 AM »
According to development posts, you need to have a certain amount of population in a system to have a valid claim so that NPRs accept it and comply with your request to leave the system.  I have a system with 7 JPs, which is basically a gateway to many other portions of the galaxy, but it has no planets, and this NPR just rejected my request to leave the system.  How can I claim it? Does it count if I put an orbital station there?

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #527 on: October 18, 2020, 10:47:16 AM »
According to development posts, you need to have a certain amount of population in a system to have a valid claim so that NPRs accept it and comply with your request to leave the system.  I have a system with 7 JPs, which is basically a gateway to many other portions of the galaxy, but it has no planets, and this NPR just rejected my request to leave the system.  How can I claim it? Does it count if I put an orbital station there?

Does it have absolutely no planets? Not even comets? If there is a comet or roid flying around somewhere then you can dump a habitat with at least 10-20m population cap and fill it with people in order to have a valid claim.

If the system is absolutely empty though you wont ever be able to have a permanent claim. Instead what you can do is place some sort of maintenance/recreational/refueling base at a waypoint of your making and use that base to establish a permanent military presence in the system.
I think the AI will respond to such military build up and avoid the system, even if it refuses the requests themselves.

The following users thanked this post: replicant2699

Offline replicant2699

• Petty Officer
  • r
« Reply #528 on: October 18, 2020, 11:15:12 AM »
Quote from: Droll link=topic=11545. msg141868#msg141868 date=1603036036

Does it have absolutely no planets? Not even comets? If there is a comet or roid flying around somewhere then you can dump a habitat with at least 10-20m population cap and fill it with people in order to have a valid claim.

If the system is absolutely empty though you wont ever be able to have a permanent claim.  Instead what you can do is place some sort of maintenance/recreational/refueling base at a waypoint of your making and use that base to establish a permanent military presence in the system.
I think the AI will respond to such military build up and avoid the system, even if it refuses the requests themselves.

There is absolutely nothing in the system except a star, so I guess a resupply base and military presence is my only option, and probably a logical one considering the strategic importance of the system.  Though it means they also cannot claim it without a military presence, right?

Offline Llamageddon

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • L
« Reply #529 on: October 18, 2020, 11:27:17 AM »
NPRs do sometimes claim systems without a military presence but usually because it is close to their homeworld, and they will likely have military there most of the time anyway. This proximity to homeworld also effects how likely they are to accept your claim on that system. So they might get tetchy in that scenario. Otherwise they might just not recognise your claim but leave the system alone anyway.

It's a shame you can't have an orbital habitat operating independently of any system bodies AFAIK. I don't think dropping it at a waypoint or a spacestation works, but it might be an interesting suggestion for claiming empty systems like this.
Currently using Aurora 1.12 - Unmodded

The following users thanked this post: replicant2699

Offline db48x

• Commodore
  • d
« Reply #530 on: October 18, 2020, 06:10:32 PM »
There is absolutely nothing in the system except a star, so I guess a resupply base and military presence is my only option, and probably a logical one considering the strategic importance of the system.  Though it means they also cannot claim it without a military presence, right?

You can use Spacemaster mode to add a small asteroid to the system, then put your orbital habitats at the asteroid.

Offline Kamilo

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • K
« Reply #531 on: October 19, 2020, 07:37:49 AM »
I'm expecting sudden slowdowns in the increments. I've set the increment length to 5 days and the sub-pulse length to auto. The time increments go from a few hours to max a day, but not beyond that or near the selected 5 days.

There aren't any alien contacts which would justify the slowdown.

Can anyone help?

Offline TheTalkingMeowth

• Captain
  • T
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #532 on: October 19, 2020, 08:56:48 AM »
Aliens, man.

Just because you can't see them doesn't mean they can't see you.

More likely, two NPRs found each other and are conducting "aggressive negotiations."

Offline Kamilo

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • K
« Reply #533 on: October 19, 2020, 09:19:34 AM »
So that means I gotta find them and increase the tempo

Offline ArcWolf

• Lieutenant
  • A
« Reply #534 on: October 19, 2020, 05:51:50 PM »
I feel like the the answer to this question is yes, but i would like confirmation: If I equip my Collier with a maintenance module, can it re-load box launchers (albeit at the slower rate)?

Offline TheTalkingMeowth

• Captain
  • T
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #535 on: October 19, 2020, 05:56:29 PM »
No. If C#, box launchers are reloaded either in a hangar or by ORDNANCE TRANSFER points. Which are things that have ordnance transfer modules, or

Relevant rules posts:
1. http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=8495.msg104195#msg104195 (Ordnance transfer mechanics)
2. http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=8495.msg109127#msg109127 (box launcher reload rules)

I keep the mechanics post bookmarked to help with stuff like this: http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=10666.0

The following users thanked this post: ArcWolf

Offline ArcWolf

• Lieutenant
  • A
« Reply #536 on: October 20, 2020, 02:29:31 AM »
Quote from: TheTalkingMeowth link=topic=11545. msg141974#msg141974 date=1603148189
No.  If C#, box launchers are reloaded either in a hangar or by ORDNANCE TRANSFER points.  Which are things that have ordnance transfer modules, or

Relevant rules posts:
1.  hxxp: aurora2. pentarch. org/index. php?topic=8495. msg104195#msg104195 (Ordnance transfer mechanics)
2.  hxxp: aurora2. pentarch. org/index. php?topic=8495. msg109127#msg109127 (box launcher reload rules)

I keep the mechanics post bookmarked to help with stuff like this: hxxp: aurora2. pentarch. org/index. php?topic=10666. 0

Ok, after re-reading those post i see where i got confused.
1) the game still says Maintenance facilities reload on box launchers.
2) i was confusing Ordnance Transfer system (ship component) with ordnance transfer station (ground instillation).

So to reload Box launchers without returning to a colony/base i would need a coiler with a Ordnance transfer hub (100,000 tons) or make a carrier large enough to dock my ship in.

Thank you

Offline Llamageddon

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • L
« Reply #537 on: October 20, 2020, 08:56:31 AM »
If you need large hangar space just to reload box launchers, I think this is supposed to be one of the benefits of commercial hangars. It might be more cost effective than a ordnance transfer module if this is all you need it for.
Currently using Aurora 1.12 - Unmodded

Offline replicant2699

• Petty Officer
  • r
« Reply #538 on: October 20, 2020, 09:23:14 AM »
Question moved to spoilers sub-forum.  Thanks for the heads up, Garfunkel.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 05:03:37 PM by replicant2699 »

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #539 on: October 20, 2020, 12:24:34 PM »
How does spoiler race generation work? I know from tooltips that NPR generation requires relatively strict set of parameters, but I couldn't find anything about spoiler races except Rakhas, which was in change logs.
That question and answer belongs to the Spoiler sub-forum.