Author Topic: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition  (Read 358926 times)

KriegsMeister, undercovergeek and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline captainwolfer

• Lt. Commander
  • c
Re: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition
« Reply #1230 on: January 23, 2021, 11:34:39 AM »
Help! aliens settling on earth!

I changed the system status to demand leave but they brazenly set up shop with something I thought was a trade convoy.
They probably would not allow us to do the same.

I could blast them out of the sky and our home but I`m already at war with another alien race.
What should I do?
First off, send military ships near them. They will only account for the ships they have seen, plus a bit, when deciding how big your navy is. So it is possible that bringing a big task force on top of their colony will make them go "Wait, he has a navy, maybe we should listen to his demands" if that doesn't work, switch to "Demand with threat" if that still doesn't work then violence is your only option

However, if you only take over their colony and avoid damaging their ships if you don't have to, then leave a force to defend against them. If you are lucky and they avoid counter attacking for long enough, relations may move back to zero, at which point they will inform you that they are no longer hostile to you. This depends on not having to destroy too much of their stuff and them not attacking you more, but it could happen.

The following users thanked this post: Theoatmeal2

Offline Borealis4x

• Commodore
« Reply #1231 on: January 23, 2021, 04:15:11 PM »
Is there any benefit to training your officers by adding command modules to ships that don't benefit from them?

I figure its better that a low-ranking officer staffs an engineering section on some freighter somewhere to gain experience rather than sit around.

Offline Froggiest1982

• Vice Admiral
  • F
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #1232 on: January 23, 2021, 04:47:42 PM »
Is there any benefit to training your officers by adding command modules to ships that don't benefit from them?

I figure its better that a low-ranking officer staffs an engineering section on some freighter somewhere to gain experience rather than sit around.

It helps only in keeping them busy reducing the chances they retire.

Offline brondi00

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • b
« Reply #1233 on: January 23, 2021, 10:12:35 PM »

It helps only in keeping them busy reducing the chances they retire.

Aren't officers more likely to level skills if they are actually working as well?

Online nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #1234 on: January 23, 2021, 10:53:17 PM »
Aren't officers more likely to level skills if they are actually working as well?

This only occurs when an officer actually uses that skill, otherwise they are just getting skill increases due to random improvements over time which I don't think depend on assignment status.

On a commercial ship a Main Engineer will probably never use their skill as there is never a maintenance failure, so there is no benefit.

Offline Borealis4x

• Commodore
« Reply #1235 on: January 23, 2021, 11:57:27 PM »
I sometimes wonder if it would be better if commercial ships had the same requirements as military ships in terms of maintenance and deployment but lessened to 10%. So such things still weren't a major concern but something you had to still keep track of.

A 'hardcore' mode where you can turn on deployment and maintenance for commercial ships and set how sever it is compared to military ships would be cool.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 11:59:35 PM by Borealis4x »

Offline Froggiest1982

• Vice Admiral
  • F
« Reply #1236 on: January 24, 2021, 12:23:30 AM »
I sometimes wonder if it would be better if commercial ships had the same requirements as military ships in terms of maintenance and deployment but lessened to 10%. So such things still weren't a major concern but something you had to still keep track of.

A 'hardcore' mode where you can turn on deployment and maintenance for commercial ships and set how sever it is compared to military ships would be cool.

For RP purpose I add 1 size Active Sensor, EM, and TH to all ships. I am now playing a game with 1.5 EM and TH to "activate" military design to all ships and try it. I know few players play Aurora like that and I do agree the community now to be "mature" enough for an Hardcore Mode.

The following users thanked this post: serger

Offline Borealis4x

• Commodore
« Reply #1237 on: January 24, 2021, 12:28:57 AM »

For RP purpose I add 1 size Active Sensor, EM, and TH to all ships. I am now playing a game with 1.5 EM and TH to "activate" military design to all ships and try it. I know few players play Aurora like that and I do agree the community now to be "mature" enough for an Hardcore Mode.

I'd do that as well except that I think 'military' requirements should be far, far less on commercial designs. Something like 10% as I mentioned previously; enough that you have to account for it but only just. Otherwise I fear it might make the game too cumbersome to play. What do you do for stations that are meant to stay out permanently? Sure a Recreation Module can handle deployment time, but what about maintenance supplies? You'd have to send a ship out periodically to top them up.

Offline Froggiest1982

• Vice Admiral
  • F
« Reply #1238 on: January 24, 2021, 12:55:42 AM »

I'd do that as well except that I think 'military' requirements should be far, far less on commercial designs. Something like 10% as I mentioned previously; enough that you have to account for it but only just. Otherwise I fear it might make the game too cumbersome to play. What do you do for stations that are meant to stay out permanently? Sure a Recreation Module can handle deployment time, but what about maintenance supplies? You'd have to send a ship out periodically to top them up.

I am currently facing 2 issues which I have sorted in a different way. Stations are still allowed commercial as I think it's fair to have them this way. You still have the military ones you would design even in a normal game so this is a non-issue really imho.
The second is the Shipyards. For obvious reasons commercial ships are bigger than the military counterparts, so I have SM on to adapt Naval requirements per 1,000 tons. The big shipyards are not allowed to build anything that contains weapons besides CIWS.

There are few small things you have to work on the shipyards side as unfortunately there is also a difference in costs and time for expansion. I will one day though work with standard Naval Yards, probably just gifting myself the first 10,000 tons.

Also, you have to manage properly the tonnage if you do that. 80,000 tons of freighter can be quite expensive to maintain otherwise. Eventually, civilians play a huge role in this game, which is why even my commercial ships are very small compared.

Offline Borealis4x

• Commodore
« Reply #1239 on: January 24, 2021, 09:38:12 AM »
Can you have to keep your size-1 short range active sensors on at all times or can your passives generally detect them with enough time to turn on your short range actives to guide your PDs?

Offline replicant2699

• Petty Officer
  • r
« Reply #1240 on: January 24, 2021, 11:22:46 AM »
Does anyone know what "Assign New" button in the research screen does?

Offline Kristover

• Gold Supporter
  • Lt. Commander
  • K
« Reply #1241 on: January 24, 2021, 12:11:13 PM »
Any new research facilities you create will be assigned against the project you designate.  Otherwise, they don’t get assigned and remain dormant till you manually assign them.

The following users thanked this post: replicant2699

Offline Rince Wind

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • R
« Reply #1242 on: January 24, 2021, 01:50:51 PM »
What is the best early game missile defence? Just massed railguns? I have fire control speed 3000 and gauss shoots 3 times, but the 12k turrets don't hit much either when faced with 33kkm/s ASMs and 72kkm/sec AMMs. And that system I really want is defended by 150 AMM launchers. I can survive the ASMs until they run dry (well, could until I lost a large chunk of my fleet), but the AMMs just kill me.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #1243 on: January 24, 2021, 01:52:10 PM »
What is the best early game missile defence? Just massed railguns? I have fire control speed 3000 and gauss shoots 3 times, but the 12k turrets don't hit much either when faced with 33kkm/s ASMs and 72kkm/sec AMMs. And that system I really want is defended by 150 AMM launchers. I can survive the ASMs until they run dry (well, could until I lost a large chunk of my fleet), but the AMMs just kill me.

Kite them. Find their max range, and hover around that. In closer to draw fire, then retreat over the limit so they self-destruct. Repeat until mags are empty.

Offline captainwolfer

• Lt. Commander
  • c
« Reply #1244 on: January 24, 2021, 02:01:08 PM »
Well, assuming you have a fleet speed of 4,000, you will need at least 725 railguns or 325 full sized 12,000 km/s Gauss turrets to theoretically intercept all 150 AMMs in a volley.

I would recommend researching better FC speeds, as with FC 4000 you will only need about 250 full sized Gauss turrets with tracking speed of 16,000.