Author Topic: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition  (Read 358863 times)

gruuu and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
Re: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition
« Reply #1545 on: March 14, 2021, 03:30:47 PM »
What's happening is that you've got enough police to counter the unrest that is being generated. You do not need 100% unrest reduction in order to successfully maintain order, as the colony grows the amount of unrest generating will go up because of more PPV being needed but also policing will become less effective since larger populations need police.

Unfortunately the game does not tell you the % unrest being generated in the planet summary and you have to eyeball it when the unrest starts to reduce stability so I can't give you a good answer on how much police you need. Just make sure that the policing % unrest reduction is higher that the % unrest increase that you'd expect.
I see. Keeping it close to 100% should suffice (I hope :) ). So you don't get any log messages like it has been in VB6. Thanks.

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #1546 on: March 14, 2021, 05:12:53 PM »
What's happening is that you've got enough police to counter the unrest that is being generated. You do not need 100% unrest reduction in order to successfully maintain order, as the colony grows the amount of unrest generating will go up because of more PPV being needed but also policing will become less effective since larger populations need police.

Unfortunately the game does not tell you the % unrest being generated in the planet summary and you have to eyeball it when the unrest starts to reduce stability so I can't give you a good answer on how much police you need. Just make sure that the policing % unrest reduction is higher that the % unrest increase that you'd expect.
I see. Keeping it close to 100% should suffice (I hope :) ). So you don't get any log messages like it has been in VB6. Thanks.

I usually have way less than that (<30%) and it works perfectly fine for overpopulation and PPV. Occupation and subjugation is different though since they generate unrest much quicker. You could probably get by with 15-20% policing because you usually are looking at 1.2-2% unrest per month from PPV/overpopulation.

Offline Froggiest1982

• Vice Admiral
  • F
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #1547 on: March 14, 2021, 09:40:18 PM »
until they declare independence

Unfortunately, this won't happen as the game does not handle well the process so Steve has not introduced an automatism to do that at a certain threshold and you could run a colony even at 0%.

You still suffer heavy penalties though.

You can declare independence manually though, although the new entity will always be player controlled.

Offline bsh

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • b
« Reply #1548 on: March 17, 2021, 01:56:38 PM »
I have discovered a system called "WISE 2348-1028[2]". never seen the [2] before. But apparently there are quite a few such system names in the database. I'm just curious what does that mean?

Offline serger

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
« Reply #1549 on: March 17, 2021, 02:42:53 PM »
Wide-field Infrared Survey Explorer Catalog of Periodic Variable Stars

Offline bsh

• b
« Reply #1550 on: March 17, 2021, 02:55:18 PM »
My question was about the [2]. ::)

Offline Kylemmie

• K
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #1551 on: March 17, 2021, 04:34:58 PM »

I've not used 'Known Star names' in awhile, but I don't recall ever seeing that.  I'm clueless when it comes to DB stuff, but I can't help but ask.....I know it's a 'did you unplug it and reboot' type response.... but could you verify that those extra [2]'s etc appear in a   clean download/install?  I'd look, but I'd have to spend a day learning how :)

Edit: "Clean' as in a fresh new download - not implying anything except maybe a corrupted download
« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 04:37:35 PM by Kylemmie »

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #1552 on: March 17, 2021, 04:37:19 PM »

I've not used 'Known Star names' in awhile, but I don't recall ever seeing that.  I'm clueless when it comes to DB stuff, but I can't help but ask.....I know it's a 'did you unplug it and reboot' type response.... but could you verify that those extra [2]'s etc appear in a clean download/install?  I'd look, but I'd have to spend a day learning how :)

They do appear in my install as well. Probably a weird holdover from something Steve was doing years ago.

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #1553 on: March 18, 2021, 02:00:11 PM »
Is there another star called "WISE 2348-1028"? The [2] could be trying to differentiate from the duplicate name. Though idk how many star systems you've explored in your game or how many unique star names are available in a known stars game.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #1554 on: March 18, 2021, 02:25:55 PM »
Is there another star called "WISE 2348-1028"? The [2] could be trying to differentiate from the duplicate name. Though idk how many star systems you've explored in your game or how many unique star names are available in a known stars game.

I checked, and the only star by that name in the DB is the one with [2]. Several more examples exist, and all are WISE stars.
  • WISE 2255-3118[2]
  • WISE 2319-1844[2]
  • WISE 2325-4105[2]
  • WISE 2340-0745[2]
  • WISE 2344+1034[2]
  • WISE 2348-1028[2] - this is the one in question
There are half a dozen stars with this odd feature in their names, and [2] is the only number used in this way. Another half-dozen stars have parentheses instead:
  • Zeta(2) Reticuli
  • Zeta(1) Reticuli
  • Nu(2) Lupi
  • Xi(2) Centauri
  • Tau(1) Gruis
  • Giclas (G) 112-54
I didn't find any names with braces.

The one clue here is Zeta Reticuli which has a (1) and (2) name in the DB, suggesting that it might be two halves of a widely-spread binary star system. A quick Google confirms that Zeta Reticuli consists of two stars separated by roughly 560 billion km which is only 0.06 LY but far enough apart that there'd be really no point in having both stars in a single system - the space is all but uncrossable except with Lagrange Points, and the latter just makes the whole thing exceedingly silly. The next three stars with parentheses are real stars which actually have that number in their names, as they share the same name otherwise with one or more additional stars. The parentheses however seem to be a Steve addition rather than the "correct" format, similar to hyphenated names like Pi-3 Orionis. The Giclas star I have no idea about as nothing comes up on a search

Returning the the question of the WISE [2] stars, however, nothing useful comes up on Google. Several of the stars have Wiki entries in the Dutch language, oddly enough, but that's about it other than trawling the astrometric databases which is way more trouble than I want to go to today. Assuming none of these are second components of binary systems (none has a pair with the same WISE identifier in the DB), my best guess is that Steve at some point was editing the DB, added the [2] to a few new entries for stars he was modifying, deleted the old ones, and forgot to fix the names.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 02:28:10 PM by nuclearslurpee »

The following users thanked this post: Droll

Online Andrew

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #1555 on: March 19, 2021, 05:14:44 AM »
I had a brief and amateurish look at astronomical databases WISE 2348-1028 seems not to be a binary rather a fairly distant and faint star. So no clue there to the 2 I have to agree with nuclearslurpee it is probably a database artifact

Offline bsh

• b
« Reply #1556 on: March 19, 2021, 10:41:25 PM »
my guess was that Steve dumped star system names from a catalog and processed them by a script into the database, and some names may have had remarks or notes indicating a link or a reference (similarly to wikipedia), and these may have slipped through the script. :)

Offline Borealis4x

• Commodore
« Reply #1557 on: March 21, 2021, 12:44:24 AM »
I'm going to ask my annual 'Why Use Carriers Instead of Missiles' question cuz while I think carriers are cool using long-range missiles seems a lot more straightforward and less risky. A lot less finicky to use too.

Offline xenoscepter (OP)

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #1558 on: March 21, 2021, 01:39:23 AM »
I'm going to ask my annual 'Why Use Carriers Instead of Missiles' question cuz while I think carriers are cool using long-range missiles seems a lot more straightforward and less risky. A lot less finicky to use too.

- 1. You can load a carrier with gunz via fighters.

- 2. You can load a carrier with sensorz via fighters.

- 3. You can use accurate, short range missiles with bigga warheadz at a greater range by strapping them to fighters to improve their range.

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #1559 on: March 21, 2021, 12:18:18 PM »

- 1. You can load a carrier with gunz via fighters.

- 2. You can load a carrier with sensorz via fighters.

- 3. You can use accurate, short range missiles with bigga warheadz at a greater range by strapping them to fighters to improve their range.

Also the fact that the carrier itself can be outdated and still be combat effective since its easier and cheaper to upgrade fighters with new weapons and sensors and missiles.