Author Topic: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition  (Read 358850 times)

Offline skoormit

• Commodore
Re: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition
« Reply #1800 on: May 19, 2021, 06:21:07 PM »
A Lagrange point I just created is 150 degrees behind the associated planet.
Every other LP I've ever seen is 60 degrees behind.
Has anyone else seen this happen? Is it by design?

EDIT: Apparently this is just a display problem on the turn the point is created. As soon as time advances, the point moved to the expected spot (60 degrees behind the planet).
« Last Edit: May 19, 2021, 07:17:30 PM by skoormit »

Offline ISN

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • I
« Reply #1801 on: May 19, 2021, 07:17:51 PM »
Quote from: skoormit link=topic=11545. msg151779#msg151779 date=1621466467
A Lagrange point I just created is 150 degrees behind the associated planet.
Every other LP I've ever seen is 60 degrees behind.
Has anyone else seen this happen? Is it by design?

I just had this happen as well.  No idea if it's intentional.

Offline Black

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • B
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
« Reply #1802 on: May 20, 2021, 03:38:43 PM »
I am heading for my first battle in 1.13 and I wanted to try Fire at Will command. But I am not sure if I am doing it right.

I wanted to prepare my fleet by giving it Fleet Fire at Will command, but when I click on the button, there is no indication that they are now under Fire at Will command. Do I need to have active sensor lock on hostile targets, or do I need to be in weapon range to use this command?

There are currently no hostile targets on my sensors, but there is confirmed presence in the system and I wanted to give the command in advance.

Offline TheBawkHawk

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • T
« Reply #1803 on: May 20, 2021, 04:36:36 PM »
I am heading for my first battle in 1.13 and I wanted to try Fire at Will command. But I am not sure if I am doing it right.

I wanted to prepare my fleet by giving it Fleet Fire at Will command, but when I click on the button, there is no indication that they are now under Fire at Will command. Do I need to have active sensor lock on hostile targets, or do I need to be in weapon range to use this command?

There are currently no hostile targets on my sensors, but there is confirmed presence in the system and I wanted to give the command in advance.

As I understand it, you need to both have active sensor lock, and be in weapons range.

The following users thanked this post: Black

Offline Agraelgrimm

• Lieutenant
  • A
« Reply #1804 on: May 20, 2021, 05:15:34 PM »
Autocannon is a compromise between Anti-Vehicle and Anti-Personnel weapons.

If your weapon tech is higher than enemy's armour tech, then your AC equipped vehicles will be cheaper than AV equipped vehicles while doing roughly equal damage.

If your weapon tech is lower than enemy's armour tech, then your AC equipped vehicles are useless cannon fodder.

AC is always worse than a dedicated AV or AP weapon but since you cannot be sure what armour strength your enemy is using, it's a hedging-your-bet sort of compromise. So you can use it as the third module on SH/UH vehicles alongside HCAP and HAV or as the only module on LVH.

But if you want to get the best bang out of your buck, you double down on anti-vehicle and anti-personnel weapons, meaning you only carry HCAP and HAV into battle.

Im using autocannons on a Light Vehicle Variant called "C". Its pretty much an Armored Car for Motorized Troops. Its my way to increase the firepower of my Motorized Infantry. A Motorized Company also has a Platoon with some Light Tank Destroyers, (Light Vehicles equiped with AT weapons, just because in case.)
Then i have my tanks and etc.

Online Andrew

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #1805 on: May 20, 2021, 05:35:54 PM »
Do ground support fighters need a fire control?
If so Beam or Missile,?

The ones I have just built don't so I need to find out if I need to rebuild them

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #1806 on: May 20, 2021, 05:39:10 PM »
Do ground support fighters need a fire control?
If so Beam or Missile,?

The ones I have just built don't so I need to find out if I need to rebuild them

They need an MFC, but its characteristics matter not at all so any 5-ton (0.1 HS) MFC will do. To save resources use the lowest tech levels as well.

Offline ISN

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • I
« Reply #1807 on: May 21, 2021, 12:51:42 PM »
Is there any way to tell if I'm generating enough crew for my ships? More generally, how do you decide what training level to use?

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #1808 on: May 21, 2021, 01:04:56 PM »
Is there any way to tell if I'm generating enough crew for my ships?

When new ships are being created pay attention to their starting crew grade level. If you have level 5 training level, then ships should have 12% crew grade upon creation. If for some reason ships are being made with 0% crew grade, you have run out of junior crewmembers and they are being conscripted.

The following users thanked this post: ISN

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #1809 on: May 21, 2021, 01:12:46 PM »

When new ships are being created pay attention to their starting crew grade level. If you have level 5 training level, then ships should have 12% crew grade upon creation. If for some reason ships are being made with 0% crew grade, you have run out of junior crewmembers and they are being conscripted.

Also in the Race window, the box on the lower-left has a few tabs. The last tab "Academies" shows your current available crewmen number, which can be changed instantly (no, this is not realistic, but it is what it is) by changing the Training Level in the drop-box at the bottom of this area. It's worth checking this view every so often to keep tabs on how your crew situation is looking, generally the highest training level you can manage and still crew all military ships is the best choice but it is worth keeping your finger on the pulse and lowering the training level well in advance if you think it will be necessary.

Also note that you can avoid having these trained crewmen assigned to ships of certain classes by ticking the "Conscript" checkbox in the class design window. Conscripts have -10% crew grade but do not come from your pool of trained crewmen, making them good for staffing commercial ships that do not see combat.

Offline ISN

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • I
« Reply #1810 on: May 21, 2021, 01:40:30 PM »

Also in the Race window, the box on the lower-left has a few tabs. The last tab "Academies" shows your current available crewmen number, which can be changed instantly (no, this is not realistic, but it is what it is) by changing the Training Level in the drop-box at the bottom of this area. It's worth checking this view every so often to keep tabs on how your crew situation is looking, generally the highest training level you can manage and still crew all military ships is the best choice but it is worth keeping your finger on the pulse and lowering the training level well in advance if you think it will be necessary.

Also note that you can avoid having these trained crewmen assigned to ships of certain classes by ticking the "Conscript" checkbox in the class design window. Conscripts have -10% crew grade but do not come from your pool of trained crewmen, making them good for staffing commercial ships that do not see combat.

Thanks for the help. I'm aware of the crewmen listed in the Academies tab, but the number of crew available isn't very useful without some sense of how many are being used -- which I'm not sure how to find without counting up each ship by hand.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #1811 on: May 21, 2021, 01:50:36 PM »
Thanks for the help. I'm aware of the crewmen listed in the Academies tab, but the number of crew available isn't very useful without some sense of how many are being used -- which I'm not sure how to find without counting up each ship by hand.

In VB6 each Academy would generate 1,000 crew per year divided by your training level (1-5). I am not sure if this number has been changed in C# but I cannot find any evidence of such a change in the documentation. If you track the crew numbers over time and compare that to the expected crew production you can get a fair picture of things I would imagine.

Offline ISN

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • I
« Reply #1812 on: May 21, 2021, 02:02:13 PM »

In VB6 each Academy would generate 1,000 crew per year divided by your training level (1-5). I am not sure if this number has been changed in C# but I cannot find any evidence of such a change in the documentation. If you track the crew numbers over time and compare that to the expected crew production you can get a fair picture of things I would imagine.

Wait, sorry, I think I think I misinterpreted you. Is the number of crewmen listed the number currently available? I think I had interpreted it as the number produced, but now I'm thinking that might be wrong.

Guessed

« Reply #1813 on: May 21, 2021, 02:11:57 PM »
Hello, I tried posting before, but the forum never let it through.
I have a question regarding the "Truce" mechanic you see as an option when starting a new game, that describes you can start with NPRs in the same system, just as it was possible in old Aurora.  The issue is however that you can't really create other races in C# Aurora, or at least I haven't found enough option to do so.  With spacemaster on, you can go into the system view where then a Create Race button will appear.  However, the races created there cannot be edited enough, because you cannot access their statistics after creation.  That means for example that they start with a whole fleet (conventional empire option and the custom ship point numbers are apparently ignored on npr creation), which I can't get rid of as spacemaster is too limited. (can't switch to npr empire to delete ships there)
This is quite unfair if you plan to start out on equal footing with everyone racing for their first ships for example.

As it stands, a custom vision game setup seems to still be greatly inhibited in new C# Aurora, or is there some way around this that I didn't recognize?

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #1814 on: May 21, 2021, 02:12:54 PM »
Wait, sorry, I think I think I misinterpreted you. Is the number of crewmen listed the number currently available? I think I had interpreted it as the number produced, but now I'm thinking that might be wrong.

Yes, it is. You can see this most obviously in any game where you've built more ships than you can crew, because the number will go down to zero. Please don't ask me how I know this.  :P