Author Topic: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition  (Read 358884 times)

Offline Foxxonius Augustus

• Chief Petty Officer
  • F
Re: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition
« Reply #1920 on: June 05, 2021, 05:01:16 PM »
The way I solve it is by adding a new rank at the bottom "Lieutenant" (LT) and using senior CO on all ships that have things like CIC etc.
What happens is that fighters and commercial ships (without commercial JDs) use the LT rank, senior CO ends up putting the CO as Captain which means that the CIC and ENG modules are manned by LCDRs.
In fact, in my games LCDRs are almost exclusively bridge officers and never COs onboard military ships and it works quite well. The lowest commanding rank ends up being "Commander" for frigates that don't have bridge crews.

It works less well if you add jump drives to your commercial ships, as this pushes their rank requirement up to LCDR, making commercial ships scoop up LCDRs. It's still a massive improvement though because your 1000+ fighters / orbital PPV platforms will still use LTs, which massively reduces the burden on LCDRs.

The most obvious disadvantage is that you are halving the officer pool for capital military ships by adding the lower rank, but not only has this never seemed to materialize as a problem for me, I usually use all the LTs on fighter sized crafts anyways so the extra rank is not a waste.

This my solution as well. One of the other benefits is that, since you don't need to keep your good LTs around for military ships you wont mind them getting assigned to commercials. Because of this, you will wind up building more commercial ships as well as fighters and other small craft for them to command and gain experience. This will keep them busy so that they wont muster out after 10 years of sitting around waiting for a command. The end result is that by doing this I find it much easier to maintain a larger officer corp and the ones I have are better because they have all been doing something.

Offline Agraelgrimm

• Lieutenant
  • A
« Reply #1921 on: June 05, 2021, 08:22:07 PM »
So i have a planet that i cannot create a colony in it. Idk why. The only thing it calls my attention its that -1 CC it has.
Could be that this planet is habitable and even tough i surveyed it, my scans were crappy and didint got any life form there?

Everytime I see a -1 on that screen, it's a gas planet (Gas Giant or Super Jovian). You can leave things in orbit, but you can't make a colony.
Anyway to get that sorium out? Idk if Sorium Miners have size limit to get minerals from planets (Tough it should still need to make the body a colony, right?)

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #1922 on: June 05, 2021, 08:36:33 PM »
Anyway to get that sorium out? Idk if Sorium Miners have size limit to get minerals from planets (Tough it should still need to make the body a colony, right?)

Sorium miners have not such limits. Take a ship with a fuel tank and a sorium harvester and park it in orbit of a sorium bearing gas giant. It should start filling its own tanks and the tanks of any tanker in its fleet.

The following users thanked this post: Agraelgrimm

Offline Agraelgrimm

• Lieutenant
  • A
« Reply #1923 on: June 06, 2021, 12:05:57 AM »

Sorium miners have not such limits. Take a ship with a fuel tank and a sorium harvester and park it in orbit of a sorium bearing gas giant. It should start filling its own tanks and the tanks of any tanker in its fleet.

Oh thank God. Right now my fleets are stoped still because i made some wrong calculations and ended up out of fuel. '-' I really need that sorium.

Offline ISN

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • I
« Reply #1924 on: June 07, 2021, 02:44:35 PM »
Is there any way to get small artillery formations working? Currently when I try to drag my artillery formations onto another formation, it puts the artillery formation beneath it in the hierarchy rather than interpreting the drag as support. I think this is because the headquarters on my artillery formations are much smaller than those of the formations they should be supporting. Is there any other way I'm missing to set up the support properly? Or do I just have to make larger artillery formations to get the interface to cooperate?

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #1925 on: June 07, 2021, 02:52:30 PM »
Is there any way to get small artillery formations working? Currently when I try to drag my artillery formations onto another formation, it puts the artillery formation beneath it in the hierarchy rather than interpreting the drag as support. I think this is because the headquarters on my artillery formations are much smaller than those of the formations they should be supporting. Is there any other way I'm missing to set up the support properly? Or do I just have to make larger artillery formations to get the interface to cooperate?

Yes.

When the game is trying to be "smart", it does not look at actual formation size, it looks at the formations relative HQ capacity when determining which formation is the one thats supposed to be the artillery support.

So if you want a small artillery battery of 1000 tons to support an infantry company of 2000 tons, give the infantry company an HQ of 2000 capacity and the artillery battery an HQ of at least 2001 ton capacity. As such, when you drag the artillery on top of the infantry to assign support, it'll work correctly.

It does mean that you are paying a little extra in unnecessary HQ capacity for the artillery but it'll allow you to assign really small artillery formations as support.

The following users thanked this post: Agraelgrimm, ISN

Offline ISN

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • I
« Reply #1926 on: June 07, 2021, 02:57:26 PM »

Yes.

When the game is trying to be "smart", it does not look at actual formation size, it looks at the formations relative HQ capacity when determining which formation is the one thats supposed to be the artillery support.

So if you want a small artillery battery of 1000 tons to support an infantry company of 2000 tons, give the infantry company an HQ of 2000 capacity and the artillery battery an HQ of at least 2001 ton capacity. As such, when you drag the artillery on top of the infantry to assign support, it'll work correctly.

Thanks, that's more or less what I figured. I'm working with 10,000 ton formations and 2,000 ton artillery batteries -- seems like a huge waste to give each of them a 10,000 ton HQ. That's rather annoying.

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #1927 on: June 07, 2021, 03:10:29 PM »

Yes.

Thanks, that's more or less what I figured. I'm working with 10,000 ton formations and 2,000 ton artillery batteries -- seems like a huge waste to give each of them a 10,000 ton HQ. That's rather annoying.

Yeah, thats one of the advantages I have with having a deep company level OOB, it's much less problematic when your average fighting formations are 2000 tons and the supports 1000 ton. The example I gave was modelled after what my current army does.

I do have larger heavy artillery formations but those are not meant as artillery support, they exist purely as counter-battery. Which I find useful as it makes them combat effective while minimizing the heavy collateral that artillery units tend to have.

Offline ISN

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • I
« Reply #1928 on: June 07, 2021, 03:33:11 PM »

Yes.

Yeah, thats one of the advantages I have with having a deep company level OOB, it's much less problematic when your average fighting formations are 2000 tons and the supports 1000 ton. The example I gave was modelled after what my current army does.

I do have larger heavy artillery formations but those are not meant as artillery support, they exist purely as counter-battery. Which I find useful as it makes them combat effective while minimizing the heavy collateral that artillery units tend to have.

How do you set them to only provide counter-battery fire?

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #1929 on: June 07, 2021, 03:45:45 PM »

Just don't set them to support another formation (or use "Clear Support" if it's already set). Since they can't do supporting fire they will only do counter-battery fire if they fire at all.

The following users thanked this post: Droll, ISN

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #1930 on: June 07, 2021, 04:45:05 PM »

Yes.

To further elaborate, counter-battery fire happens if and only if:
A - The artillery formation is not providing artillery support*
B - There is enemy artillery firing on friendly formations

*Note that if an artillery formation has a support target but for some reason hasn't provided fire support they will become eligible to do counter-battery fire, but they cant do both simultaneously which is why you might want to have artillery formations without set supports.

The following users thanked this post: ISN, themousemaster

Offline themousemaster

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • t
« Reply #1931 on: June 07, 2021, 10:02:12 PM »

*Note that if an artillery formation has a support target but for some reason hasn't provided fire support they will become eligible to do counter-battery fire, but they cant do both simultaneously which is why you might want to have artillery formations without set supports.

On that note, if I want to keep a "dedicated Counter-battery unit" around, what types of artillery can be in the "Rear echelon" spot and still hit the Rear-Echelon spot of the enemy groups?  The Heavy Bombardment only?  The long-range medium?  or if I want to hit enemy RE-artillery, do I have to have mine in the Support Position?

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #1932 on: June 07, 2021, 11:08:14 PM »

On that note, if I want to keep a "dedicated Counter-battery unit" around, what types of artillery can be in the "Rear echelon" spot and still hit the Rear-Echelon spot of the enemy groups?  The Heavy Bombardment only?  The long-range medium?  or if I want to hit enemy RE-artillery, do I have to have mine in the Support Position?

Heavy Artillery is able to target the enemy rear echelon from your own rear echelon. Additionally, Long-Range Bombardment (MBL) and the soon to be enabled Super-Heavy Bombardment (SHB) have the same BombardmentWeapon type (3) in the DB table for ground components, so they should also be able to fire against the enemy rear echelon.

The following users thanked this post: themousemaster

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #1933 on: June 08, 2021, 11:33:25 AM »
Light Bombardment fires from Support and Frontlines but only into Frontlines.
Medium Bombardment fires from Support and into Support.
Long-range, Heavy and Superheavy fire from Rear and into Rear.

The following users thanked this post: Noble713, themousemaster

Offline skoormit

• Commodore
« Reply #1934 on: June 11, 2021, 01:56:55 PM »
Mass driver packets from Civilian Mining Companies move at 1,000 km/s.
Mass driver packets from my own populations move at varying speeds--it looks like it might be (12,500/packetSize)  km/s.

Is the discrepancy intentional?