Author Topic: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition  (Read 365559 times)

Offline Destragon

• Lieutenant
  • D
Re: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition
« Reply #2880 on: August 19, 2022, 05:52:31 AM »
Have officers not been retiring at 30 in the past?
I never really paid attention to it before, but yesterday I named some low rank officers after friends to see if they manage to climb into higher positions, but they all retired in their early 30s.

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #2881 on: August 19, 2022, 06:05:25 AM »
You should probably read the rules for Commanders Carreer again here http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=8495.msg104038#msg104038

In the fighter case, being probably commanders stuck to man them, there is no carreer progression for them so "survive" after the 10 years of service on lower ranks.

I think the system is well balanced now also with the latest changes from 2.0 and it allows for an organic and more diverse age gap in the chain of command.

I must admit that I haven't played enough to see if the retirements waves are now more limited, but the automatic assignments make it more less demanding in terms of maintenance at least.

Offline Snoman314

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #2882 on: August 19, 2022, 07:57:48 AM »
Quote from: Destragon link=topic=11545. msg161530#msg161530 date=1660906351
I never really paid attention to it before, but yesterday I named some low rank officers after friends to see if they manage to climb into higher positions, but they all retired in their early 30s.

In the past they'd get promoted to higher ranks, even if there were no positions for them to fill.  With the 2. 0 change, it's different, but in my opinion makes much more sense.  If you want named characters like that to go somewhere career-wise, try appointing them to jobs and getting them promoted, instead of just sitting idle in the officer pool until they hit retiring age for rank.

Offline boolybooly

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2883 on: August 19, 2022, 08:43:39 AM »
So, is this a bug or not?

I have seen both Jill (see screeny) and Martha referred to as he.

I always thought these were female names and if so then the wrong pronoun is being applied which would be a bug and I ought to report it.

However if they are intended to be dual gender names then I guess it might not be a bug. Not sure, anyone know the situation?

Offline d.rodin

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • d
« Reply #2884 on: August 19, 2022, 08:45:24 AM »
Is there a limit to Aether Rift growth?
Current one is ~300 mln km size.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2022, 08:49:19 AM by d.rodin »

Offline Vandermeer

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #2885 on: August 19, 2022, 08:49:29 AM »
Has anyone noticed that comets now seem to travel mostly lateral, not inwards or outwards? Was this planned?(maybe the line behind a comet no indicates the tail rather than the travel direction?) I don't remember a note on this change, and the overall sunwards speed seems to be extremely slow.
playing Aurora as swarm fleet: Zen Nomadic Hive Fantasy

The following users thanked this post: Snoman314

Offline Snoman314

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #2886 on: August 19, 2022, 10:11:21 AM »
Has anyone noticed that comets now seem to travel mostly lateral, not inwards or outwards? Was this planned?(maybe the line behind a comet no indicates the tail rather than the travel direction?) I don't remember a note on this change, and the overall sunwards speed seems to be extremely slow.

A comet's tail isn't caused by it leaving stuff behind as it passes, that wouldn't work in zero gravity anyway. The tail of a comet is caused by stellar wind pushing gas and dust outwards, away from the star. You can see the comet's orbit if you turn on Selected Orbit in the display settings and select a comet.

Offline Destragon

• Lieutenant
  • D
« Reply #2887 on: August 19, 2022, 10:27:54 AM »
Quote from: Destragon link=topic=11545. msg161530#msg161530 date=1660906351

In the past they'd get promoted to higher ranks, even if there were no positions for them to fill.  With the 2. 0 change, it's different, but in my opinion makes much more sense.  If you want named characters like that to go somewhere career-wise, try appointing them to jobs and getting them promoted, instead of just sitting idle in the officer pool until they hit retiring age for rank.
They were appointed. They just didn't have any opportunity to rank up, because of there not being enough higher rank jobs.

It's definitely supposed to be the tail and not the travel direction.

Offline Snoman314

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #2888 on: August 19, 2022, 10:37:44 AM »
They were appointed. They just didn't have any opportunity to rank up, because of there not being enough higher rank jobs.

I thought that they're more likely to level up if they're filling an appointment, giving them higher stats and so a higher promotion score, making them more likely to be selected for promotion to whatever higher rank slots there are?

Offline Vandermeer

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #2889 on: August 19, 2022, 11:47:54 AM »
Weird that I don't remember this from before. I do however remember some comets going relatively fast towards the sun and being catapulted back.
Well, maybe I am just in a weird incidental phase where no comet whose orbit would scratch the sun is actually close to it, while all the distant scrapers are.
playing Aurora as swarm fleet: Zen Nomadic Hive Fantasy

Offline paolot

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • p
« Reply #2890 on: August 19, 2022, 01:20:22 PM »
In the Events list, only ships are reported.
Is it possible to show also the fleet a ship belongs to?
Having a long list of fleets, in this way it is easier to find the one in need.

Offline paolot

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • p
« Reply #2891 on: August 19, 2022, 02:17:12 PM »
I have discovered this solar system (first image).
When I select one asteroid, everything is OK (second image).
When I show all the asteroids orbits, this happens (third image).
Where are the rest of the asteroids, not shown in the first image?

Offline JacenHan

• Captain
  • Discord Username: Jacenhan
« Reply #2892 on: August 19, 2022, 02:48:55 PM »
I have discovered this solar system (first image).
When I select one asteroid, everything is OK (second image).
When I show all the asteroids orbits, this happens (third image).
Where are the rest of the asteroids, not shown in the first image?
Does it have to do with the "Asteroids with minerals only" option being ticked? If you have already geo-surveyed the system, that would hide a lot of the asteroids.

Offline Coleslaw

• I got the Versacis on, stop playin'!
  • Warrant Officer, Class 2
« Reply #2893 on: August 19, 2022, 02:55:45 PM »
Where can I find the wallpapers that were with the original VB6 Aurora 4x install? Now whenever I try to download that install again for the wallpapers, it says the VB6 aurora stuff download is no longer available.

Offline midikiman

• Petty Officer
  • m
« Reply #2894 on: August 19, 2022, 04:53:13 PM »
Weird that I don't remember this from before. I do however remember some comets going relatively fast towards the sun and being catapulted back.
Well, maybe I am just in a weird incidental phase where no comet whose orbit would scratch the sun is actually close to it, while all the distant scrapers are.

Comets follow actual elliptical orbits now, according to the patch notes for 2.0. This replaces the old hack for comet motion.

The following users thanked this post: Vandermeer