Author Topic: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition  (Read 359024 times)

Laurence and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
Re: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition
« Reply #3360 on: August 26, 2023, 01:04:36 PM »
The only other thing I can think of is to check if you hooked up the fire controls. That one gets me more often than anyone else needs to know...

Offline lumporr

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • l
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #3361 on: August 26, 2023, 07:34:17 PM »
I can report that as somebody who has actually used ground fighters in a game (the horror), I can say that I was never able to get those two missions to work. The only one that did was the Provide Ground Support mission, in which your fighters are represented as ground units on the Order Of Battle screen and can be dragged to support whichever formations.

So much clicking and dragging. Each fighter has to be dragged to support a formation. And if you have a modest wing of 50 fighters like I did, every time they change orders, you'll have to click and drag all of them again.

For posterity: if you're really adamant about using ground fighters, I suggest using 500-ton megafighters and assigning them like artillery brigades, just to save your poor tendons.

The following users thanked this post: Kurt, Andrew, Xkill, Warer, nuclearslurpee

Offline Kurt

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #3362 on: August 27, 2023, 01:12:57 PM »
The only other thing I can think of is to check if you hooked up the fire controls. That one gets me more often than anyone else needs to know...

I thought maybe this was it, because I didn't think about this when I tried it.  But during my last attack on the ground force I made sure everything was properly assigned and it still did not work.  At this point I tend to think it is bugged. 

Offline Bryan Swartz

• Captain
  • B
« Reply #3363 on: August 30, 2023, 11:29:11 AM »
Is there supposed to be a delay while using standing orders?  I'm noticing survey ships that take over a day to do something new once they've finished a task.  If I manually give them an order, there's no delay. 

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #3364 on: August 30, 2023, 03:30:53 PM »
Is there supposed to be a delay while using standing orders?  I'm noticing survey ships that take over a day to do something new once they've finished a task.  If I manually give them an order, there's no delay.

Standing orders are only checked for turns of at least one hour (might be three hours - no access to Aurora atm).

Offline Bryan Swartz

• Captain
  • B
« Reply #3365 on: August 31, 2023, 03:10:42 AM »
Thank you! 

For anyone else who might care, it's 3 hours.  They'll consistently act on 3 hour turns, never on 1 hour turns. 

Offline Bryan Swartz

• Captain
  • B
« Reply #3366 on: August 31, 2023, 05:32:11 AM »
Next one:  I notice that Continual Capacity Expansion - for Shipyards - now has a target capacity.   Given that, why do the other expansion options exist?  Wouldn't they just ... always be a worse deal in every way now?  I figured the reason they were there before is just so you could keep your capacity at round/even number if you didn't like capacity being 34,568 or whatever. 

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #3367 on: August 31, 2023, 08:22:57 AM »
Next one:  I notice that Continual Capacity Expansion - for Shipyards - now has a target capacity.   Given that, why do the other expansion options exist?  Wouldn't they just ... always be a worse deal in every way now?  I figured the reason they were there before is just so you could keep your capacity at round/even number if you didn't like capacity being 34,568 or whatever.

If you select one of the fixed-size options, the shipyard will remain at its current size while building the expansion. For example, a 20,000-ton shipyard ordered to add 5,000 tons of capacity will remain at 20,000 tons for the duration of the construction, then jump up to 25,000 tons in one go when it is finished. By contrast, the continual capacity expansion means the shipyard grows continually, from 20,000 tons to 20,127 tons to 20,268 tons to 20,412 tons to... etc.

The only real use of the fixed-size options is to reduce the population requirement while building the expanded capacity, which can be useful if you are limited by population, since the population required to work a shipyard depends on its size. The downside is that it is a slower build process, since the expansion rate depends on the current size of the shipyard. One hypothetical example to make use of this would be if you have a small colony with limited population that builds Naval shipyards and then expands them to 11k or 15k tons before they are moved somewhere else by tugs. In that case you might use the "Add 10,000 tons" order instead of the continual capacity upgrade to build the yards to whatever size you desire. Note that this is a purely hypothetical example, I'm not sure it would be the best way to handle such a situation anyways but it is an idea.

The following users thanked this post: Bryan Swartz

Offline Bryan Swartz

• Captain
  • B
« Reply #3368 on: August 31, 2023, 10:23:15 AM »
Stinkin civilians ....

I had one startup where I saw them build a colony ship to ship people to Luna as soon as I got some people there, so I figured 'ok, working as expected'.   There were 50k people there on my part.  Starting from the same beginning save though, I can't get them to do it no matter what I put there in terms of people.  I also haven't yet found a way to just give them more money so they'll build ships.  There's the default single civilian line with 2k in funds and no ships and they won't do anything.  Doesn't matter how much infrastructure I have in place or whatever. 

What factors might possible influence this?  How do I give them a kick in the rumpus to start existing? 

Edit:  Ok, doing some SM tests.  One I just added people on Luna and no infrastructure, and this got them to build a freighter.  I would think though that with more infra than people (you know, the proper way), they would build a colony ship? 

Edit Again:  And now, SMing in a bunch of infra and 50k pop there, it works and they do build a colony ship.  But when I take my own colony ship and deliver people there, they don't want to join in?  I am so confused. 
« Last Edit: August 31, 2023, 10:28:47 AM by Bryan Swartz »

Offline Bryan Swartz

• Captain
  • B
« Reply #3369 on: August 31, 2023, 11:24:05 AM »
Turns out it just varies a lot when they get started and I wasn't testing far enough.  Sometimes it takes a few years and sometimes a *lot* less, under identical conditions.  I'm extremely fine with that as I generally like a modicum of unpredictability, I just wasn't expecting it. 
« Last Edit: August 31, 2023, 01:10:10 PM by Bryan Swartz »

Offline Agraelgrimm

• Lieutenant
  • A
« Reply #3370 on: September 06, 2023, 08:00:04 PM »
Does anyone knows how to research misc components? I can make them a prototype but that's it. It doesn't appear on the research window.
Also, since i am already here, does the speed of a CAS fighter affects how well it performs on ground missions or isn't relevant?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2023, 08:39:00 PM by Agraelgrimm »

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #3371 on: September 06, 2023, 09:56:00 PM »
Does anyone knows how to research misc components? I can make them a prototype but that's it. It doesn't appear on the research window.

They should be under the Logistics tab once you create the project.

Also, since i am already here, does the speed of a CAS fighter affects how well it performs on ground missions or isn't relevant?

Per Steve:
The chance to hit is (10% x (Tracking Speed / Aircraft Speed) x (Morale / 100)) / Environment Modifier.
As far as I know this is the only effect, and frankly if your opponent has AA at all (which NPRs usually do) they probably have too much and your fighter speed won't really make much difference...

Offline Kiero

• Bronze Supporter
  • Lieutenant
  • In space no one can hear you scream.
  • Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter : Support the forums with a Bronze subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
« Reply #3372 on: September 07, 2023, 01:15:37 AM »

They should be under the Logistics tab once you create the project.

It is under v2.0.0 Changes List (also known as v1.14.0) but it is not working for me either. I can only research it in SM mode.

Offline Bryan Swartz

• Captain
  • B
« Reply #3373 on: September 09, 2023, 08:50:10 AM »
My understanding is that there's no place currently or announced for 2.2 to view the number of crew members available.  Is this correct? 

Offline bankshot

• Lieutenant
  • b
« Reply #3374 on: September 09, 2023, 11:22:35 AM »
The wiki appears to be down - https://aurorawiki.pentarch.org/index.php is giving an empty response.  Is there anyone we need to notify?