Author Topic: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition  (Read 358856 times)

Offline Kaiser

• Commander
  • K
Re: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition
« Reply #3450 on: November 27, 2023, 01:00:46 PM »
Question: If I play as human and I have the option "human NPR" checked, is there still a chance that a human NPR appears? Or does it work when I play with a non-human NPR only?

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #3451 on: November 27, 2023, 05:26:24 PM »
Question: If I play as human and I have the option "human NPR" checked, is there still a chance that a human NPR appears? Or does it work when I play with a non-human NPR only?
Yes. It is meant to be used for both when playing as an alien race and wanting to encounter humans as well as in a 'Broken Empire' situation where you're playing as human rediscovering their lost galactic colonies.

The following users thanked this post: Kaiser

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #3452 on: November 27, 2023, 05:34:55 PM »
Yes. It is meant to be used for both when playing as an alien race and wanting to encounter humans as well as in a 'Broken Empire' situation where you're playing as human rediscovering their lost galactic colonies.

FYI, "Human" in this case is the species of the first player race, so if you want a galaxy populated by civilizations of Tolkein Orcs you can make this happen instead.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #3453 on: November 27, 2023, 05:42:53 PM »
Ah, that's a good point. Thus, the points required to play as an alien species that encounters humans:

1) Create a game normally with humans in Sol with the box for human NPRs ticked
2) Create a new system via SM with the habitable system button to ensure you have a decent homeworld available
3) Fiddle with the planet to make it perfect for your species - remember their stats are based on the homeworld climate
4) Create your alien species on that planet
5) Delete the human player race and the Sol system - or leave them be if you want to 'stumble' upon Sol itself and roleplay that meeting as there is no way to turn a player race into a NPR
6) Write an amazing space operate story and post it here for us to read!

Offline non sequitur

• Chief Petty Officer
  • n
« Reply #3454 on: November 27, 2023, 06:13:56 PM »
So, perhaps I'm an idiot, but I've not really messed around with ark modules before and I just researched them and I can't seem to find them. Are they something like a component or am I blind or is this a bug?

EDIT: never mind, found it under colonist transport. Sorry all.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2023, 06:17:30 PM by non sequitur »

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #3455 on: November 27, 2023, 10:43:34 PM »
Has anyone figured out how to make the Organization maintain actual structure of the OOB you are building? Currently, it seems that adding nodes just lumps the contents of those nodes into it without preserving any sort of structure. So my regiment has the correct number of battalions and companies but they are not structured correctly.

Or am I doing it wrong, building from ground up and should do it from top down?

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #3456 on: November 27, 2023, 11:07:47 PM »
Has anyone figured out how to make the Organization maintain actual structure of the OOB you are building? Currently, it seems that adding nodes just lumps the contents of those nodes into it without preserving any sort of structure. So my regiment has the correct number of battalions and companies but they are not structured correctly.

Or am I doing it wrong, building from ground up and should do it from top down?

I had no problem making it work for me aside from an embarrassing mishap with the Copy + Update button. You should be able to build a smaller node, then click+drag it onto a different node to build a compound organization. In the attached image, dragging the Mechanized Corps node onto the Mechanized Legion node adds it under that node.

Note that the child node will attach to whatever formation within the parent node it is dragged onto, it will not automatically attach to the top-level HQ for instance, which I think is by design as it is a tad more flexible this way.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #3457 on: November 28, 2023, 03:15:21 AM »
How embarrassing... I hadn't dragged the sub-formations around correctly, of course it wouldn't work.

The following users thanked this post: nuclearslurpee

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #3458 on: November 30, 2023, 06:28:20 PM »
Something I've never thought about, which has suddenly become relevant in my "test game" campaign: do NPRs ever re-survey a system if they suspect a dormant jump point? For that matter, are they capable of suspecting such things?

The following users thanked this post: StarshipCactus

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #3459 on: November 30, 2023, 06:49:24 PM »
Good question. I can't recall whether this has been even discussed before. We'll have to wait for Steve.

The following users thanked this post: StarshipCactus, nuclearslurpee

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #3460 on: December 01, 2023, 06:38:12 AM »
Has something changed with refuel rules? I have harvesters at a gas giant (they are marked as tankers) but my tankers (with a refuelling system) can't fill up from them. I can refuel the harvesters but that's kinda counterproductive. Do my harvesters need a refueling system too? I'm 87% certain that it's fine as long as the tanker has it. Otherwise, something is bugged in my game and/or designs.

Offline Snoman314

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #3461 on: December 01, 2023, 06:40:15 AM »
Has something changed with refuel rules? I have harvesters at a gas giant (they are marked as tankers) but my tankers (with a refuelling system) can't fill up from them. I can refuel the harvesters but that's kinda counterproductive. Do my harvesters need a refueling system too? I'm 87% certain that it's fine as long as the tanker has it. Otherwise, something is bugged in my game and/or designs.

I've always thought that Refueling Systems pumped out, but not in. So my harvesters have always had Refueling Systems.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #3462 on: December 01, 2023, 06:42:38 AM »
You are right. I SM'd a system on the harvesters and now the tankers can fill up their tanks. For some reason I keep forgetting this.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #3463 on: December 01, 2023, 09:15:36 AM »
You are right. I SM'd a system on the harvesters and now the tankers can fill up their tanks. For some reason I keep forgetting this.

Me, every other game...  :P

Offline Ulzgoroth

• Captain
  • U
« Reply #3464 on: December 01, 2023, 02:12:40 PM »
Has anybody tried tiny commercial space stations as sensor pickets?

Thinking about the problem of how to provide long-term sensor presence with low ongoing costs. Obviously these stations would have very limited capabilities since they are limited to commercial sensors, but they also should be very cheap and small, and you could probably carry them in a hangar to drop at points of interest.

Unless you're going for deep space locations DST installations are probably the regular way of handling this problem. However, a tiny picket station could be easier to transport.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2023, 02:21:21 PM by Ulzgoroth »