Author Topic: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition  (Read 358847 times)

Offline captainwolfer

• Lt. Commander
  • c
Re: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition
« Reply #3555 on: December 18, 2023, 01:03:56 PM »
It's possible the NPR missiles had on-board sensors and went looking for a new target when the original one was destroyed.
Do missile seekers target neutral contacts then? If I put a minefield on a jump point, would it trigger if a neutral NPR jumped into it?

Offline Tavik Toth

• Chief Petty Officer
  • T
« Reply #3556 on: December 18, 2023, 01:40:44 PM »
What's the best way to SM a start in a different solar system?

Offline Black

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • B
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
« Reply #3557 on: December 18, 2023, 02:32:46 PM »
What's the best way to SM a start in a different solar system?

In SM mode, there is Create Habitable button in System Generation and Display window. It should create system with habitable planet. Then you can create race on the planet with Create Race button in same window.

The following users thanked this post: Tavik Toth

Offline Tavik Toth

• Chief Petty Officer
  • T
« Reply #3558 on: December 18, 2023, 03:12:00 PM »
How do templates work again? How do I set them up so units are replaced properly?

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #3559 on: December 18, 2023, 11:14:40 PM »
It's possible the NPR missiles had on-board sensors and went looking for a new target when the original one was destroyed.
Do missile seekers target neutral contacts then? If I put a minefield on a jump point, would it trigger if a neutral NPR jumped into it?
Yes, any ship that isn't part of your race/faction/power will trigger it.

Offline Coleslaw

• I got the Versacis on, stop playin'!
  • Warrant Officer, Class 2
« Reply #3560 on: December 19, 2023, 06:10:12 AM »
Is there a way to create an "active decoy" type missile, rather than the current chaff style missiles? What I mean is this:

I am creating a stealth missile ship that will slip into enemy systems, launch a slow, low thermal stager containing an ASM that will separate at a relatively close distance and use onboard active sensors to detect and pick targets while my stealth ship has long since departed. However, should it seem like enemies are about to chance upon me (as in, they haven't detected me but my ships are in their path,) is there a way I could send a similarly staged missile off somewhere, however rather than an ASM for a payload, it's a high thermal missile with onboard active sensors that *appears* like a potential ship contact so that the enemy potentially goes and investigates the active decoy missile instead?

Offline Black

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • B
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
« Reply #3561 on: December 19, 2023, 08:59:47 AM »
How do templates work again? How do I set them up so units are replaced properly?

For automatic replacement of ground units, you need to set up Unit Series - tab in Ground Forces window.

You need to design units and then make formation templates. Then in Unit Series tab, you create a new series and then put relevant unit into the series. For example you have M1 Abrams tank unit and you create M1 Abrams series and put the M1 Abrams unit in it.

Then when you have formation with M1 Abrams units and it suffers casualties, it can pick up replacements from another formation with M1 Abrams units that is set as Use For Replacement (checkbox in Order of Battle tab).

It can also be used for replacement with new versions of unit as you can put several units into a series. So M1 Abrams series can have M1 Abrams and  M1A1 Abrams units and it will try to use most modern version as replacement.

The following users thanked this post: Tavik Toth

Offline lumporr

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • l
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
« Reply #3562 on: December 19, 2023, 09:29:59 AM »
When creating a new game, if one uses the method of starting outside Sol using the "Create Habitable" button, is there any way to know how far away starting NPRs would be from the new homeworld? Would the settings in the new game of LY distance still be relevant?

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #3563 on: December 19, 2023, 09:49:06 AM »
When creating a new game, if one uses the method of starting outside Sol using the "Create Habitable" button, is there any way to know how far away starting NPRs would be from the new homeworld? Would the settings in the new game of LY distance still be relevant?

They won't relate to the new starting position, but they will still be relevant if you know your own distance to Sol (which you do in Known Stars games). For example, if you set 50-100 LY and you are 25 LY from Sol, then the actual NPR distance would be 25 - 125 LY.

The following users thanked this post: Xkill, lumporr

Offline db48x

• Commodore
  • d
« Reply #3564 on: December 19, 2023, 11:12:52 PM »
Is there a way to create an "active decoy" type missile […] that *appears* like a potential ship contact so that the enemy potentially goes and investigates the active decoy missile instead?

No. When you get a contact you always know if it is a ship or a missile.

The following users thanked this post: Coleslaw

Offline Flame_Draken

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • F
« Reply #3565 on: December 20, 2023, 06:58:59 PM »
I started a "short" campaign in 2. 02 while waiting for the next big update and ended up playing it for the past year off and on (nearly 80 years into the game at this point).   I'm now at the point where I'm about to win my first war and want some advice on what to do from there.

Should I end the campaign with the war's conclusion and start a new campaign in the newest version or should I continue playing this campaign as my primary until some other potential end point?

Offline captainwolfer

• Lt. Commander
  • c
« Reply #3566 on: December 20, 2023, 07:06:50 PM »
I started a "short" campaign in 2. 02 while waiting for the next big update and ended up playing it for the past year off and on (nearly 80 years into the game at this point).   I'm now at the point where I'm about to win my first war and want some advice on what to do from there.

Should I end the campaign with the war's conclusion and start a new campaign in the newest version or should I continue playing this campaign as my primary until some other potential end point?
Start a new campaign in the newest version. Missiles got a big update.

Offline captainwolfer

• Lt. Commander
  • c
« Reply #3567 on: December 20, 2023, 08:34:32 PM »
Does the difficulty modifier option when starting a new game also affect spoilers as well as NPRs?

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #3568 on: December 20, 2023, 10:26:33 PM »

You should continue the campaign by having a lengthy Naval Conference and then never finish despite your best intentions.

Does the difficulty modifier option when starting a new game also affect spoilers as well as NPRs?

I believe it can, but usually there is no effect in practice since the spoilers have specific minimum research point values and most game settings would have them under the minimum. If you are doing something like 8b pop starts with 200% difficulty then they might get tougher.

Offline Tavik Toth

• Chief Petty Officer
  • T
« Reply #3569 on: December 21, 2023, 10:32:51 AM »
What do the Class and System Theme options like System Theme - United Kingdom mean/include in them?