Author Topic: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition  (Read 358898 times)

KriegsMeister, AlStar (+ 1 Hidden) and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Ulzgoroth

• Captain
  • U
Re: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition
« Reply #3585 on: December 22, 2023, 09:35:56 PM »
A WW2 tank isn't necessary any lighter than a modern tank or a futuristic tank, it just uses regular old steel instead of ceramic composite materials or exotic neutronium-duranium layers.
The main WWII medium tanks are much lighter than modern MBTs, though the heavy tanks could be heavier.
I mean, that's why I wrote that a WW2 tank isn't necessary any lighter than a modern tank. T-72 is about 40 tons, same as Panther. Sherman and T-34 were lighter but Pershing, Tiger and the IS series were heavier. Sure, Abrams and Challenger are heavier than anything that saw combat in WW2 but there are many post-WW2 AFVs that aren't.
Panther is a major outlier among WWII medium tanks. It weighs as much as a KV-1 heavy tank and more than a Pershing, which was classed as a heavy tank until 1946.

The Tiger and IS series were, of course, heavy tanks. Modern tanks are not.

Also, I don't think Abrams and Challenger 2 are heavier than Tiger 2, or if so only slightly.
I'd definitely argue that a medium tank and maybe an MBT fits medium vehicle better - medium and heavy vehicles appear to have the exact same armament options.
Heavy vehicles carry 3 modules which is quite a big difference. Plus, they can carry super-heavy weapon modules if I remember correctly.
Heavy vehicles carry 2 modules and cannot carry SHAV. I don't know about any other super-heavy weapon modules.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2023, 09:37:42 PM by Ulzgoroth »

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #3586 on: December 22, 2023, 11:08:44 PM »
Heavy vehicles carry 3 modules which is quite a big difference. Plus, they can carry super-heavy weapon modules if I remember correctly.
Superheavies carry 3, Ultraheavies carry 4
Mediums and Heavies both carry 2
Heavies can carry super-heavy modules though
Speaking of heavies and superheavies, is it confirmed that NPRs don't use anything larger than a medium vehicle?
Heavy vehicles carry 2 modules and cannot carry SHAV. I don't know about any other super-heavy weapon modules.

Pulling from the DB to clear up the confusion here:
  • INF: 1 component, 0 tons for the base class, between 1 and 2 HP, between 1 and 2 armor. Able to mount personal and light weapons except LAC.
  • LVH: 1 component, 12 base tons, 3 HP, 2 armor. Able to mount light and medium weapons.
  • STA: 1 component, 12 base tone, 3 HP 1-3 armor. Able to mount light, medium, and heavy weapons (except autocannons), SHB (not SHAV), and STOs.
  • VEH: 2 components, 18 base tons, 4 HP, 2-4 armor. Able to mount light, medium, and heavy weapons.
  • HVH: 2 components, 36 base tons, 6 HP, 2-6 armor. Able to mount light, medium, and heavy weapons, and SHB (not SHAV).
  • SHAV: 3 components, 108 base tons, 12 HP, 2-9 armor. Able to mount light, medium, heavy, and super-heavy weapons.
  • UHV: 4 components, 216 base tons, 24 base HP, 2-12 armor. Able to mount light, medium, heavy, and super-heavy weapons.
In my comment history there is a table which shows which components can be mounted on which bases.

In general, the main advantage of HVH over VEH is primarily in the extra +2 base HP which you get "for free" aside from the extra 18 tons, whereas adding more armor increases the build cost of the unit so 6 vs 4 base armor is not a clear-cut advantage, and SHB is almost always overkill especially if you care about things like "collateral damage", "dust", and "logistics". Otherwise they are just bigger (and thus a bit less 'efficient' for raw firepower) versions of VEH.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #3587 on: December 23, 2023, 12:42:45 AM »
A WW2 tank isn't necessary any lighter than a modern tank or a futuristic tank, it just uses regular old steel instead of ceramic composite materials or exotic neutronium-duranium layers.
The main WWII medium tanks are much lighter than modern MBTs, though the heavy tanks could be heavier.
I mean, that's why I wrote that a WW2 tank isn't necessary any lighter than a modern tank. T-72 is about 40 tons, same as Panther. Sherman and T-34 were lighter but Pershing, Tiger and the IS series were heavier. Sure, Abrams and Challenger are heavier than anything that saw combat in WW2 but there are many post-WW2 AFVs that aren't.
Panther is a major outlier among WWII medium tanks. It weighs as much as a KV-1 heavy tank and more than a Pershing, which was classed as a heavy tank until 1946.

The Tiger and IS series were, of course, heavy tanks. Modern tanks are not.

Also, I don't think Abrams and Challenger 2 are heavier than Tiger 2, or if so only slightly.
Again, I wrote that a WW2 tank isn't necessarily any lighter than a modern tank. This is true. For some reason you felt the need to start an argument over medium tanks vs heavy tanks and that WW2 medium tanks are lighter than modern tanks which is not what I wrote in the first place. I guess maybe it's because I mistyped necessarily as "necessary" but I would think that my meaning was clear regardless of that typo. What's even weirder is that I was writing about my personal classification system for vehicle types that I am currently using in my own game. I was not claiming that Aurora classifies ground vehicles in that manner. I could understand the argument if I had been claiming that everyone should use my system.

Nevertheless, Panther is a WW2-era medium tank. That is how it was classified by the Germans and that is how they used it. That it is heavier than any other WW2-era medium tank does not matter. You cannot just ignore it because it is inconvenient for your argument. Especially since the classification between light/medium/heavy tank should always be about their doctrinal role on the battlefield, not their actual weight. Finally, you are right about Tiger II being heavier than the Abrams and Challenger, I got confused by the continued usage of long/short tons instead of the SI tons.

Thanks for the clarification, nuclearslurpee. I could have sworn that HVH could use heavier weaponry since LVH and VEH can do so but I stand corrected. Same with the module number. Clearly, I haven't used HVH enough, so far. But it actually looks like a pretty bad type to use. As you said, SHB is overkill and HB already does too much collateral damage. Doubling in size from VEH while only getting 2 more HP is a steep price. Sure, SHAV and UHV are gigantic in comparison but then we get lot more HP, lot more armour and more component slots plus super-heavy weapons. It looks like it might be better to just ignore HVH as it is now and stick with LVH/VEH on one hand and with SHV/UHV on the other.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #3588 on: December 23, 2023, 07:38:07 AM »
Thanks for the clarification, nuclearslurpee. I could have sworn that HVH could use heavier weaponry since LVH and VEH can do so but I stand corrected. Same with the module number. Clearly, I haven't used HVH enough, so far. But it actually looks like a pretty bad type to use. As you said, SHB is overkill and HB already does too much collateral damage. Doubling in size from VEH while only getting 2 more HP is a steep price. Sure, SHAV and UHV are gigantic in comparison but then we get lot more HP, lot more armour and more component slots plus super-heavy weapons. It looks like it might be better to just ignore HVH as it is now and stick with LVH/VEH on one hand and with SHV/UHV on the other.

I actually think the +2 HP on HVH is worth the +18 tons, at least if you're using heavier weapons - HVH + 2xCAP is probably a silly waste of tonnage, but something like a heavy tank design with HVH+MAC+HCAP for example (104 tons vs 86 tons on a VEH) is pretty reasonable. You get more than double the survivabillity (2.25x) against all weapons smaller than HAV or HB (not inclusive) just from the extra HP which is a pretty good deal compared to about a 20% reduction in total number of units, and you have the option of using heavy armor as well to really amplify the point-of-the-spear effect for invasions.

Offline captainwolfer

• Lt. Commander
  • c
« Reply #3589 on: December 25, 2023, 03:11:40 AM »
Is there a way to check with spacemaster what an NPR is doing, I have an NPR in my game that keeps moving a fleet away from my diplomatic ship, then back again, every 8 hours or so. Its kinda annoying

Offline db48x

• Commodore
  • d
« Reply #3590 on: December 25, 2023, 11:36:54 AM »
No, the spacemaster only has access to the player races. The non–player races are not revealed.

Offline Zeebie

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • Z
« Reply #3591 on: December 25, 2023, 08:59:18 PM »
What exactly do I need to wake up a dormant ancient construct? I've had xeno teams on one for years without anything. I've done two successfully but can't figure out what is different this time.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #3592 on: December 25, 2023, 09:34:44 PM »
What exactly do I need to wake up a dormant ancient construct? I've had xeno teams on one for years without anything. I've done two successfully but can't figure out what is different this time.

Xeno teams can take a long time to study a construct. How big is your xeno formation? If you only have a handful of vehicles it will take way too long, 10,000 or 20,000 tons will make a much quicker job of it.

Offline captainwolfer

• Lt. Commander
  • c
« Reply #3593 on: December 26, 2023, 12:13:58 AM »
Make sure your xenology units actually have the xenology module. Just yesterday I was thinking "Wow, my geo-survey team is taking years to survey this planet" Then I looked at the geo-survey formation template and realized I had put xenology units in my geo-survey formation.

Offline nakorkren

• Lt. Commander
  • n
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #3594 on: December 26, 2023, 10:20:06 AM »
Does the bonus to-hit for tracking a missile for x duration get reset if the missile stages during that time? I.e. a multi-stage missile drops a stage mid-way through tracking, does it count as a new missile for to-hit bonus from tracking, or does your to-hit continue to increase?

The following users thanked this post: BAGrimm, Snoman314

Offline themousemaster

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • t
« Reply #3595 on: December 27, 2023, 05:30:02 PM »
What steps do I need for the "Load Assigned Ground Templates" function in a fleet's Movement Orders to do anything useful?  i'd hate to load an entire army 3 clicks per unit.

(I've organized my entire army under the "Organizations" tab of Ground Forces, but I don't see anywhere to "link" that organization to my Dropship.  I've doublechecked to make sure the dropship has sufficient troop capacity to carry the whole shebang)

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #3596 on: December 27, 2023, 06:02:19 PM »

Class Design window,
Ordnance & Fighters tab,
Green circle shows what ground formations you have designed,
and pink shows what you have chosen as default for this class.

So in the picture my Ares class troop shuttle will automatically load a single USMC Luna Rifle Platoon once it is built or when I issue the Load Assigned Ground Templates order.

The following users thanked this post: themousemaster

Offline LuuBluum

• L
« Reply #3597 on: December 27, 2023, 06:25:53 PM »
Was the ability to transfer colonies ever added? I recall hearing that it was included in some patch, but can't find it in the patch notes.

Offline themousemaster

• t
« Reply #3598 on: December 27, 2023, 09:18:24 PM »
ah, so you "add" the ground units to the ship in the design screen.  Here I was thinking you could make an army-heirarchy, and then just load that as a single entity.

Derp.  :(

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #3599 on: December 27, 2023, 09:19:57 PM »
When loading ground units into a transport fleet, you can click a check box to load a parent formation and all sub-unit formations, which means you can load an entire army into a transport fleet as long as it will fit neatly. This might be what you're looking for?