Author Topic: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition  (Read 359027 times)

Bluebreaker and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
Re: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition
« Reply #3675 on: January 17, 2024, 12:09:51 AM »
I remember seeing advice in the past to never research the minimum engine power techs because your shipping lines would use them and become less effective.

Does this still hold true?

Mixed results. It's true that the civilian ships will be slower since they use the highest level of this tech, but they will also be cheaper to build since engines are a major cost and especially are the dominant cost for freighters - cheaper ships also means more ships, which can roughly balance this out. A size-50 NGC drive with 50% efficiency (250 EP) will cost 62.5 BP per engine, while the same drive with 25% efficiency (125 EP) will cost a mere 15.625 BP per engine.

There are two factors to think about: one is the law of diminishing returns, at some point the engines will be so cheap that the benefit of making them even cheaper is minimal, especially for the more costly colony ships and fuel harvesters. The other is game performance, as more civilian ships means more calculations and thus slower increments. The recent change to make civilians build only their larger ship classes after certain breakpoints helps with this so it is a +/- thing, but still a consideration.

One suggestion for how to handle this is to manually un-research the tech levels you don't want the civilians to use, and manually re-research them when you want to design an engine with that tech (which should be relatively infrequent, once or twice per engine tech level as you only need one big commercial engine for most purposes). If you are worried about it you can do this, however in practice I usually only worry about the first 1-3 levels of the tech so it doesn't concern me enough to bother.

Offline Rince Wind

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • R
« Reply #3676 on: January 17, 2024, 06:41:19 AM »
And while you research you can disable the shipping lines. That will result in them not building any ships, not in them being demolished.

Offline sisso

• Leading Rate
  • s
« Reply #3677 on: January 18, 2024, 06:07:33 PM »
How can I know how much tons my fleet is transporting? I can see the items on Fleet -> Transported Items.  But I do not see how much tons is that or how much is still available.  That is a bit pain for salvage ship.  I don´t want to come back on each salvage, but don´t want to risk lose sweet tech.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #3678 on: January 18, 2024, 06:19:09 PM »
How can I know how much tons my fleet is transporting? I can see the items on Fleet -> Transported Items.  But I do not see how much tons is that or how much is still available.  That is a bit pain for salvage ship.  I don´t want to come back on each salvage, but don´t want to risk lose sweet tech.

It's on the 4th line of the fleet summary.

The following users thanked this post: sisso

Offline Kamilo

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • K
« Reply #3679 on: January 19, 2024, 05:33:48 AM »
After conquering an enemy planet I cannot move my own colonist to it because of the different species. How can I manage that?

Offline Black

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • B
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
« Reply #3680 on: January 19, 2024, 05:37:13 AM »
After conquering an enemy planet I cannot move my own colonist to it because of the different species. How can I manage that?

Each species needs separate colony even on same body. So you need to create new colony for your species and move the installations by ships from the original colony.

Offline Kiero

• Bronze Supporter
  • Lieutenant
  • In space no one can hear you scream.
  • Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter : Support the forums with a Bronze subscription
« Reply #3681 on: January 24, 2024, 02:15:05 AM »
Question on officer promotions.

I have realistic promotions enabled. As far as the navy is concerned, everything works pretty much as it should.
However, when it comes to ground units, promotions are practically non-existent. All officers are at the lowest level.
How can I change this apart from promoting them manually?

Offline Black

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • B
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #3682 on: January 24, 2024, 02:28:58 AM »
Question on officer promotions.

I have realistic promotions enabled. As far as the navy is concerned, everything works pretty much as it should.
However, when it comes to ground units, promotions are practically non-existent. All officers are at the lowest level.
How can I change this apart from promoting them manually?

You need formations for each rank in your chain of command. So if you only have Lieutenant Colonels and then no formation for Colonels and only formations for Generals, they will not autopromote. They can only autopromote one step of the chain of command.

The following users thanked this post: Kiero, unkfester

Offline AlStar

• Lieutenant
  • Flag Maker Flag Maker : For creating Flags for Aurora
    Race Maker Race Maker : Creating race images
« Reply #3683 on: January 24, 2024, 08:32:37 AM »
It's worth noting that, although the game will automatically assign a rank to your formation based on size, you can manually set the rank for any given formation - either for all units of that type when built (on the screen where you set them up), or for any individual formation that's already been built (on the ground unit overview screen, if I remember correctly.)

Offline Kiero

• Bronze Supporter
  • Lieutenant
  • In space no one can hear you scream.
  • Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter : Support the forums with a Bronze subscription
« Reply #3684 on: January 27, 2024, 03:14:00 AM »
In Create Research Project window there is a field with "No Notes" (just above Create button).

How to add some notes there? and where would it be shown?

Offline AlStar

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3685 on: January 27, 2024, 08:00:13 AM »
It's where the description of the research project would normally be. For any racial techs (techs that you've designed), that field defaults to "No Notes", as you've mentioned.

Theoretically you'd set that when you're making the tech - there's even a box for it, which comes pre-filled with "No Notes" - but it's not an editable field.

If it was a field you could enter information in, it'd only be visible when it was sitting in your research queue.

The following users thanked this post: Kiero

Offline AlStar

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3686 on: January 28, 2024, 10:38:48 PM »
So, I had the silly idea of creating a "Stripper Names" and/or a "Tradgedeigh Names" Race Name theme, but I realized that I'm actually not sure what the file format for such is.

There's a topic for new ship naming schemes, but - as far as I know, and as far as a quick search can find - there doesn't seem to be anything for race name themes.

So - the question: Is there a Race Name suggestion topic that I've missed and/or an explanation for what should be submitted as possible addition to the game?

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #3687 on: January 28, 2024, 11:44:58 PM »
So, I had the silly idea of creating a "Stripper Names" and/or a "Tradgedeigh Names" Race Name theme, but I realized that I'm actually not sure what the file format for such is.

There's a topic for new ship naming schemes, but - as far as I know, and as far as a quick search can find - there doesn't seem to be anything for race name themes.

So - the question: Is there a Race Name suggestion topic that I've missed and/or an explanation for what should be submitted as possible addition to the game?

Text file, one name per line. The line break is the separator. You need three files - male names, female names, and family names, sadly we don't have support for male/female family name differences like in, e.g., Russian. The way to work around this would be to use two name themes, and just have the male/female names use the same file.

Offline JacenHan

• Captain
  • Discord Username: Jacenhan
« Reply #3688 on: January 29, 2024, 01:06:29 PM »

You also don't have to ask for it to be officially included if you want to start using it right away - you can add them to your own game locally from the "Miscellaneous" tab on the main view. The "Naming Theme Suggestions" topic isn't specific to ship name themes, you can suggest commander names there as well.

Offline vorpal+5

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #3689 on: January 31, 2024, 08:42:05 AM »
Is there a major issue in v2.51 that would justify waiting for 2.6?