Author Topic: Stellaris coming soon  (Read 15557 times)

Offline boggo2300 (OP)

• Registered
  • Rear Admiral
Stellaris coming soon
« on: April 19, 2016, 02:26:04 AM »
so excited had to post damn the 9th of May, damn it with great damnation!!

woot and I'm half way to r-adm!!
The boggosity of the universe tends towards maximum.

Offline Paul M

• Vice Admiral
  • P
Re: Stellaris coming soon
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2016, 06:55:42 AM »
I have to admit I broke down and pre-ordered the version that comes with the sound track, the price of the version with books I'm not sure I can justify as they are e-books. 

Looks to be a good year for SF 4X with this one and Endless Space II. 

Offline Zincat

• Captain
  • Z
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2016, 10:32:02 AM »
Yes well, it seems likely it will be a good games but...

It's a paradox games and that could be very bad.

I have been burned by crusader kings 2 and Europa Universalis 4. They have like 15 expansions each. Try to calculate the cost of buying all that. I fear they will do the same here.....

Offline boggo2300 (OP)

• Registered
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2016, 05:21:07 PM »
well most of the CK2 DLCs are $1.99 and are pretty much just character portraits,  the actual expansions are pretty substantial, and you definitely don't need them,  I still don't have Sunset invasion, Horse Lords or the new expansion and I still have a whale of a time,  the fact that Paradox are so mod friendly is also a bonus.  First versions of Paradox games are admittedly a little flaky, but since this is built on the Clausewitz engine most of the engine bugs at least should be well squelched.

@PaulM  me too for pretty much the same reasons (though the Missus wants the sound track not me)

Offline Bryan Swartz

• Captain
  • B
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2016, 05:52:30 PM »
I'm obsessing about Stellaris like I've obsessed about no game in at least a decade.  I'm sure there will be issues at launch like there always are, but from the gameplay videos released so far it looks really good in a lot of ways and what drawbacks I've seen are relatively minor annoyances.  It won't be the 4x for everyone(esp. since it really isn't one, evolves into a GSG in the midgame) but what I've seen so far I think is amazing. 

Offline boggo2300 (OP)

• Registered
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2016, 06:12:29 PM »
GSG

the Gunslinger Girl Manga?
German Border Police?
Ground-Signal-Ground radar?

sorry,  never heard that applied to a game genre before

Offline Bryan Swartz

• Captain
  • B
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2016, 08:30:52 PM »
Lol.  Grand Strategy Game. 

Offline boggo2300 (OP)

• Registered
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2016, 09:56:18 PM »
Ahhh ok makes sense,  though I'd suggest any good 4x game would eventually have to turn into a Grand strategy

Offline Vandermeer

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2016, 07:48:28 AM »
I can't shake of the bad feeling that Stellaris will be quite a let-down. It still definitely lacks in complexity for me, but it might still provide good.
It just seems too promising; something is weird. This is not even pessimism, it just feels like I haven't figured out consciously yet what casts suspicious shadows in the background here. Well, I hope I am wrong with this.
playing Aurora as swarm fleet: Zen Nomadic Hive Fantasy

Offline Paul M

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2016, 09:29:03 AM »
From the Blorg stream...the one part that really seems to lack anything to it is the combat...but on the other hand so too is the case in most of the other paradox games.  The combat is "abstract"...

Planetary management looks to have lots of options and POP management may also be interesting.  A lot is going to come down on how the diplomacy really works.  A good diplomatic model will be necessary come the mid game where you want to start building alliances and so on.

In my view none of these games are strategy games, they are one and all management games.  The only question is how trivially can the game be min-maxed.  Where the previous paradox games had failed for me was when the AI didn't produce a credible threat due to being too easy to spoof.  HoI2 for example I recall peope conquered the world starting as "insert small country" using only calvary...this had a lot to do with the AI and ability to basically break its script.  Leave an opening in your line...the AI charges in...you close the line and they are cut off and destroyed.

Basically how the combat ends up working...is there a need for multiple fleets, do you need multiple class of ships, etc  will for me determine a great deal of the games replayability and enjoyability. 

Offline Starslayer_D

• Lt. Commander
  • S
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2016, 12:44:26 PM »
I wonder is its multi-player. And purchasers of the advanced packs can play as the arachnid omnivoracy.

Offline Bryan Swartz

• Captain
  • B
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2016, 02:12:13 PM »
They've confirmed multiplayer for up to 32(possibly more but not guaranteed). 

Quote from: Paul M
the one part that really seems to lack anything to it is the combat...but on the other hand so too is the case in most of the other paradox games.  The combat is "abstract"...

This is definitely true.  It doesn't scratch the same itch that some others in the genre do(MOO for example).  I think a big part of this is going to be how effective the AI is.  They do have a system where some weapons are more effective against shields vs. armor.  How useful that is depends on how much variety there is in AI ship designs, how good it is at defending it's territory, etc.  A lot of that remains to be seen. 

Quote from: Paul M
where the previous paradox games had failed for me was when the AI didn't produce a credible threat due to being too easy to spoof.

Some of this will be countered by the late-game crisis events that they have put in, opposing empires forming a counter-alliance/federation when you get too strong/big, etc.  But I definitely agree that the competency of the AI will largely make or break the final product. 

Offline boggo2300 (OP)

• Registered
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2016, 04:47:57 PM »
It's a Paradox game, it's even using a version of the Clausewitz engine the same as CKII and EUIV do so combat will be abstract,  it's not what they do,  they do political intrigue and empire building,  so as Brian said combat will be abstract,  I'm currently about 50 years into a Crusader Kings game, and haven't raised levies and fought,  but I've gone from being a count to declaring the Kingdom of Wallachia (though now I'm going to have to fight, because my ex Liege, the King of Bulgaria is kind of upset I just nicked a chunk of his Kingdom)

Offline Viridia

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2016, 06:21:15 AM »
I'll be waiting for reviews before buying it. There's a decent sci-fi mod for CKII that's reasonably fun, and I have hopes for Stellaris perhaps including the kind of unit/tech research we had in HoI 3.

Offline boggo2300 (OP)

• Registered
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2016, 04:46:25 PM »
on of the things I like about Stellaris is the randomish Tech-tree that you can research,  your research will be different every time you play.