Author Topic: Question re. Wrecks  (Read 2762 times)

Offline Hawkeye (OP)

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
Question re. Wrecks
« on: April 24, 2009, 04:39:46 AM »
I´m not sure if this would be better posted in the bugs section, but I will give it a try in the academy.

I fought a battle vs. Precursors some 15 game-months (december 2065) ago. All 5 Precursor ships where blastet to scraps and 5 wrecks showed up accordingly.

I marked each wreck with a waypoint, so I could later find and salvage them

It´s now march ´67 and I have two salvager and a jumpship (with active sensors) in place, but there is no sign of any wreck (not even the one from my own scout, that got blasted by the precursers first)
The JS doing the search mounts an active sensor of 24mkm range and resolution 50, the wrecks are 4 x 5.000t and 1 x 14.500t.

Now the question: Do wrecks vanish after some time, or maybe do they rotate with the rest of the system (I got a couple of error messages re. orbital movement, so I turned off Orbital Movement for Planets/Moons (it was off from the start for asteroids)
Ralph Hoenig, Germany

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
Re: Question re. Wrecks
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 05:50:58 AM »
Wrecks do move, but the movement is not always orbital.  They tend to drift a bit as well.  They will probably still be all together however, so if you really want to find them you can either bring in a couple more ships and search for them, or bring in a ship with a bigger resolution and therefore larger search radius.  When searching try moving counterclockwise first and see what you find.

Brian

Offline Hawkeye (OP)

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 06:46:53 AM »
Oh, in that case, I have to head over to the suggestion board :)
Ralph Hoenig, Germany

Offline Starkiller

• Lt. Commander
  • S
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 09:03:07 PM »
I'd say that, for now, the best way to keep track of wrecks that you can't salvage right away, would be to position a scout ship with the wreck, set her
speed to 1 so her fuel will last a long time, her actives on. Check from time to time for drifting and move the ship accordingly if they've drifted. It's
a relatively inexpensive way to keep track of them, I find. :)

Eric

Offline SteveAlt

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 09:03:01 AM »
Interesting thread. I wasn''t aware that wrecks did move, although it's entirely possible I coded this and forgot about it - back in a sec!

I have just looked through the code and can't find anything about wrecks moving - weird!

Steve

Offline SteveAlt

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 09:09:13 AM »
Quote from: "Hawkeye"
I´m not sure if this would be better posted in the bugs section, but I will give it a try in the academy.

I fought a battle vs. Precursors some 15 game-months (december 2065) ago. All 5 Precursor ships where blastet to scraps and 5 wrecks showed up accordingly.

I marked each wreck with a waypoint, so I could later find and salvage them

It´s now march ´67 and I have two salvager and a jumpship (with active sensors) in place, but there is no sign of any wreck (not even the one from my own scout, that got blasted by the precursers first)
The JS doing the search mounts an active sensor of 24mkm range and resolution 50, the wrecks are 4 x 5.000t and 1 x 14.500t.

Now the question: Do wrecks vanish after some time, or maybe do they rotate with the rest of the system (I got a couple of error messages re. orbital movement, so I turned off Orbital Movement for Planets/Moons (it was off from the start for asteroids)
I have checked the code and can't find anything that would cause wrecks to move. The code for NPRs to salvage them hasn't been written either.

Steve

Offline Hawkeye (OP)

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2009, 01:27:42 AM »
Hm, this is realy strange.
I have now completed a search in the system, using 4 scouts with a 144m range active sensor.
The battle was on a line from the jumppoint to the star, about 150m out from the star. The searched area is all space in a radius of about 700m around the star - no joy.
Ralph Hoenig, Germany

Offline rdgam

• Chief Petty Officer
  • r
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2009, 05:08:20 PM »
The wrecks seem to get lost after quiting the program and restarting.
I checked the database and the entries are still in the wrecks table for some I cannot find anymore.
They were just inside a JP of a system.  No sensor can find them now.

Offline Hawkeye (OP)

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2009, 03:30:57 AM »
I can now confirm, there is a display? bug re. wrecks.
I had a battle with precursors recently. I knew they were there, so I brought some salvagers with me and ordered them to salvage the first two wrecks as soon as the enemy was defeated. I put some scouts where the wrecks were too, so I didn´t loose sight of them. However after some 10 days, when the salvager where about to reach the wrecks, they where nowhere to be seen on the system map (no restart of aurora either, played streight through).
The reason I think it is a display bug is, the salvagers still managed to salvage the wrecks I had ordered them to, even though I couldn´t see them anymore. Of course, there were more wrecks, but with those now being invisible, I can´t order the salvagers to salvage those (if I had known this, I had queud up those).
I have made a backup of the database with one wreck allready salvaged and the second some 5 days from finished
Ralph Hoenig, Germany

Offline SteveAlt

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2009, 07:49:08 AM »
Just to check, I assume those people having problem spotting wrecks know you need to detect them with an active sensor

Steve

Offline SteveAlt

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2009, 07:50:50 AM »
I had a battle with precursors recently. I knew they were there, so I brought some salvagers with me and ordered them to salvage the first two wrecks as soon as the enemy was defeated. I put some scouts where the wrecks were too, so I didn´t loose sight of them. However after some 10 days, when the salvager where about to reach the wrecks, they where nowhere to be seen on the system map (no restart of aurora either, played streight through).
The reason I think it is a display bug is, the salvagers still managed to salvage the wrecks I had ordered them to, even though I couldn´t see them anymore. Of course, there were more wrecks, but with those now being invisible, I can´t order the salvagers to salvage those (if I had known this, I had queud up those).
I have made a backup of the database with one wreck allready salvaged and the second some 5 days from finished
Thanks - that is very useful information. Normally I would say send me the DB but Aurora is still in pieces on the floor at the moment so I can't test it. I'll try and recreate the problem in my own game once normal service is resumed

Steve

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2009, 08:19:51 AM »
Quote from: "SteveAlt"
Thanks - that is very useful information. Normally I would say send me the DB but Aurora is still in pieces on the floor at the moment so I can't test it. I'll try and recreate the problem in my own game once normal service is resumed

Steve

Just an FYI - last night I put a intel ship with powerful active sensors into the system where I first encountered Precursors.  During the encounter (several years back), they destroyed one of my scouts.  The moment I lit off the active sensors, I got a "new wreck" message about where the scout was destroyed and an "X" showed up on the display.  So it all seems to be working for me (so far :-) ).

John

Offline Hawkeye (OP)

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2009, 09:48:26 AM »
Quote from: "SteveAlt"
Just to check, I assume those people having problem spotting wrecks know you need to detect them with an active sensor

Steve

There where 6 Precursor wrecks (size 90 and 120, I belive) and 3 or 4 wrecks from my survey group (somewhat smaller) all within the overlaping sensor-fields of three scouts with res-50/range 144mio actives (well, they where supposed to be there, as I couldn´t spot a thing)
Ralph Hoenig, Germany

Offline Andrew

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2009, 02:09:50 PM »
Definetly. I had a bunch of wrecks at a warp point, and was salvaging them slowly they stayed on the map for a long time , then I moved the ship with active sensors and took them off the job list of the salvage ship to send it to other wrecks . The Wrecks where not there when the salvage ship returned and I sent another ship with active sensors

Offline rdgam

• Chief Petty Officer
  • r
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2009, 10:20:55 AM »
I just had a bunch of wrecks re-appear when a hostile ship transited the warp point.  My ships had been sitting on the WP with active sensors for over 30 days, and could not see the wrecks.