Author Topic: Regarding ship size/speed/Thermal signature and detection  (Read 1469 times)

Offline Cheet4h (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • C
Regarding ship size/speed/Thermal signature and detection
« on: February 27, 2014, 10:51:52 AM »
Hey guys,

Currently I'm in a fairly good going game, a couple of colonies in 4 different star systems and explored systems up to two jumps from every colony.

I drop a sensor buoy with 1. 17 sensor strength at every jump point I surveyed and explored.  This has already led to meeting two races, the first just destroyed the buoy, but has not yet jumped through to the system on the other side.  The second is different, though.  Met them ~30 seconds ago when they jumped into Galloways Star, although the buoy on the other side of that jump point in the Shadaowa system did not pick it up.   How did this happen? The target, for some reason called Troll 002, has a thermal signature of 216 and is flying at a speed of 2665 km/s.  My buoys can pick up targets with a thermal signature of 213 at more than 200k kilometres, so they can't have gotten through in a 5 second tick.  Shouldn't the game then have interrupted me when the Troll came close enough to the Shadaowa buoy? The last time increment before the contact was 21 hours, just short of the set interval of 1 day.

Also, somewhere within the last days I read some formula on the forum (or in the subreddit? Not sure) how you can correlate between thermal signature and speed to get the size of the ship, but I can't find it searching the forum for "thermal signature" posts within the last 90 days.
Here are the ship's stats again:
Thermal: 216
Speed: 2665 km/s

Anyone able to help me with these?

Offline Bgreman

• Lt. Commander
Re: Regarding ship size/speed/Thermal signature and detection
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 02:37:02 PM »
Increments are further divided into subpulses.  With the Auto setting on for subpulse duration, Aurora will set it based on how long the increment you run is.  The longer the increment, the longer the subpulse, so its possible that the subpulse was longer than the time it would take to cross the detection threshold of your buoy and jump in.