Author Topic: Multiplayer Aurora Concept Thread.  (Read 5546 times)

Offline linkxsc (OP)

• Commander
Multiplayer Aurora Concept Thread.
« on: July 08, 2016, 09:37:45 AM »
As the 7.2 mechanics thread has myself and a couple people talking of concepts for a multiplayer aurora being somewhat possible. I feel we should instead have a single thread dedicated to the concept.

TBH I was actually contemplating building something like this from scratch for android as a project. Instead of trying to ram some archaic spaghetti code half assed system that sends commands to a computer chugging along trying to play aurora with 100+ memory hacking processes running trying to make tweaks.

Instead something new.

My thought would be. Earth (UN) in general would have just gotten into TN tech. First long range lasers and TN missiles. First nuclear pulsed engines and such.
The players themselves would be agents of various spacegoing earth nations (with some backstory). Having access to some slightly better techs here and there based slightly in the nations backstory.

From there players can head out to mine and trade among-st earth and humanity's member colonies (and other race's who aren't at war), Explore new systems, and wage war against enemy forces.

As players earn money and resources, they can spend that buying new "pre-made" ships (UN premades are generally decent average designs with all the tech all nations have, but are cheaper. Factional premades require the player to play a bit and get some standing with them. They are more focused to rely on the bonuses of their own national advantages and more expensive) Or build their own.
Building your own takes you to have high enough standing with various nations to get access to their techs.
And also real time.

Though since you are using "premade" modules. It wouldn't take quite as logn as constructing a brand new ship. I mean, an average 6kt destroyer in aurora, being made from scratch vs having everything premade is quite noticeable. Also, one could technically design their own off the bat, as they have access to all UN techs... But the real reason for it comes in when you can start getting higher tech stuff from multiple groups to make outright better ships.

As players do stuff be it war or trading, they can affect the world. Move a lot of infrastructure to a colony? Now they have a demand for colonists. Move enough colonists, oh look the planet has more people and their demand for other trade goods jumps up, while the supply of the ones they produce becomes cheaper.

I dunno. I have a lot more thoughts, and some might be out there, but some I don't really see as too unfeasible. But I've gotta go to work so I'll fill in more later.

After I'm done with the android shpeal I also have another concept for how a regular multiplayer PC aurora could be handled in part.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 09:17:16 AM by linkxsc »

Offline ChildServices

• Hegemon
  • Sub-Lieutenant
Re: Multiplayer Aurora Concept Thread.
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2016, 07:14:59 PM »
I think unless the game reaches the stage where it's played in pause-able real-time instead of set time increments, multiplayer is never going to be very enjoyable. If I hate sitting through game slow-down for 2 NPRs fighting eachother I'm still going to hate it if it's another player and an NPR or even two players.
Aurora4x Discord: https://discordapp.com/invite/Q5ryqdW

Cold as steel the darkness waits, its hour will come
A cry of fear from our children, worshipping the Sun
Mother Nature's black revenge, on those who waste her life
War babies in the Garden Of Eden, she'll turn our ashes to ice

Offline QuakeIV

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2016, 11:00:08 PM »
I concur, time-step based games like this are terrible for multiplayer.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2016, 01:36:44 AM »
I'm pretty sure aurora used to run in continuous increments, But there's no reason it can't, as long as the move to C# gives a significant increase to turn processing rates. Even if it doesn't it would just mean periods of either waiting for input, or perhaps additional automation is needed, ie default orders, better AI that's able to handle player designed systems, etc.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline Drgong

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2016, 02:32:11 PM »
One great way to produce a multiplayer Aurora would be to simply have a button that produces jpgs of the standard screens for a empire.  That would save hours running a Multiplayer game.
Check out or Join my Community Game
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?board=235.0
Also check out my stories, including Interactive tales.
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?board=239.0

Offline Bughunter

• Bug Moderators
  • Rear Admiral
  • Discord Username: Bughunter
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2016, 03:33:33 PM »
One great way to produce a multiplayer Aurora would be to simply have a button that produces jpgs of the standard screens for a empire.  That would save hours running a Multiplayer game.

I can see why you want this, would make community games a lot easier to run I suppose  ;D A bit OT, but this could maybe be doable with an external application as long as all the windows are open. Might even be something I could have look at some day.

Offline QuakeIV

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2016, 06:01:51 PM »
Thats true, I could see that being really nice for community games as mentioned.

Offline Sheb

• Commodore
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2016, 01:52:26 AM »
Also, ways to export/import ship designs?

Offline Kytuzian

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • K
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2016, 08:32:28 AM »
Also, ways to export/import ship designs?

Export ship designs you can do. Click the button that says "Text File" at the bottom right of the Class Design screen.

Offline QuakeIV

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2016, 02:09:58 PM »
I think he means in a format that can then be re-imported back into the game.

Offline TT

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • T
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2016, 08:25:04 PM »
I would think that if you were interested in creating an interface to manage a community game, it would be fairly easy to create an application that took the data from one Aurora database and insert it into another.  I'm sure you could update not only the ship designs but also the personnel, research, fleets, orders, etc. 

Offline Bughunter

• Bug Moderators
  • Rear Admiral
  • Discord Username: Bughunter
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2016, 03:19:20 AM »
Yes with database access it would be easy to do a more community game friendly display of a lot of data. But I think I read somewhere the database is password protected and off-limits?

Offline QuakeIV

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2016, 05:01:22 AM »
Thats correct.  Also, there wont be a database as of next version (unless he does save files via a database, which would be unusual).

Offline boggo2300

• Registered
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2016, 04:37:22 PM »
Thats correct.  Also, there wont be a database as of next version (unless he does save files via a database, which would be unusual).

Umm what?

I think you need to read again
The boggosity of the universe tends towards maximum.

Offline DaMachinator

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2016, 07:40:40 AM »
{quote author=QuakeIV link=topic=8811.msg95040#msg95040 date=1469527282]

I was under the impression that the database was being switched from Access to MySQL or similar, not eliminated.
The maximum speed of any ship or missile with a given engine technology is the speed of a ship composed only of one engine of that technology with the highest power to weight ratio possible with current technology, and nothing else.