Author Topic: Question about multi-stage missiles  (Read 1435 times)

Offline martinuzz (OP)

• Lieutenant
  • High Dwarf
Question about multi-stage missiles
« on: September 01, 2010, 05:48:09 PM »
After browsing through the mechanics forum, I cannot find the answer to this:
What is the ratio between size of the first stage of a missile and the second stage?
Or, how many size x missiles can fit in a size y first stage missile?
I read in the fiction, that someone put 4x size 1.25 missiles in a size 8 first stage, so I wondered, why not 4x size 2?

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
Re: Question about multi-stage missiles
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 06:57:24 PM »
You actually have to design the 2nd stage first.  Then when you put it into the first stage it uses up that much of the missiles space.  If you have a second stage design that is 1.5 spaces and you put three of them in a 1st stage missile then the first stage will get 4.5 missile space points larger.

A couple of things to be aware of.  The second stage missiles either need their own sensors to allow them to target a ship, or the firing ship needs to have their fire control up and running and in range when the missiles seperate.  If you want to set up a missile for ambush situations where you fire on passives and have the missiles seperate and attack without the firing ship using it's fire control/active sensors then you want to make sure that the 1st stage has a sensor that will detect the targets at the appropriate range when they seperate, and that the 2nd stage also have the sensors to spot the target.  If you have a ship using an active sensor that can spot the targets then only the second stage really needs to have the sensors.  The first stage will fly out to the waypoint set and release the 2nd stage missiles.  This is pretty fancy however, and can run into some real problems.  If you want to try it out my suggestion would be to create a quick game just to figure out the specific commands and how you want to design the missiles, kind of like running a wargame in real life to figure out how a weapon works.

Brian

Offline Kurt

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 06:59:00 PM »
Quote from: "martinuzz"
After browsing through the mechanics forum, I cannot find the answer to this:
What is the ratio between size of the first stage of a missile and the second stage?
Or, how many size x missiles can fit in a size y first stage missile?
I read in the fiction, that someone put 4x size 1.25 missiles in a size 8 first stage, so I wondered, why not 4x size 2?

I'm not an expert in multi-stage missiles, by any means, but I have dabbled in them occasionally.  There is no set ratio, it is just a matter of what performance you want for your multi-stage missile.  The greater the payload (second and third stage missiles) the lower the overall performance.  

Kurt

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 07:11:59 PM »
The simplest answer is that your primary stage still needs to have fuel/engines/etc. :)

Offline martinuzz (OP)

• Lieutenant
  • High Dwarf
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 03:45:09 AM »
Ah. It's all crystal clear now.
Thanks again guys!