Author Topic: Error 6 Overflow with Sensors  (Read 9806 times)

Offline WHCnelson (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • W
Error 6 Overflow with Sensors
« on: December 24, 2011, 11:41:03 AM »
  Hi Guys...   
  I have been having this problem with the new game I am starting with the Sensor Tab for the "System Map" (F3).   In the Passive Sensor Box  I can not go above 20 within the "To Detect Sensor Strength Range" before I get the Error 6 Overflow.   It will then not go away even if I zoom out on the map or change the Sensor Detection Strength.   I can get the Show Signiture Detection Range: Sensor Strength up pass 80 to 90 before I get the same problem.    Also, What would be the best numbers for these two areas?   Any help is appreciated...

Online Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Re: Error 6 Overflow with Sensors
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2011, 05:52:16 AM »
  Hi Guys...   
  I have been having this problem with the new game I am starting with the Sensor Tab for the "System Map" (F3).   In the Passive Sensor Box  I can not go above 20 within the "To Detect Sensor Strength Range" before I get the Error 6 Overflow.   It will then not go away even if I zoom out on the map or change the Sensor Detection Strength.   I can get the Show Signiture Detection Range: Sensor Strength up pass 80 to 90 before I get the same problem.    Also, What would be the best numbers for these two areas?   Any help is appreciated...

This is a bug. I've found and corrected the problem for the next version. The most likely reason you have this bug is probably is that one of your planets or ships has an extremely powerful passive sensor.

Steve

Offline Pyromanuel

• Leading Rate
  • P
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 03:28:59 PM »
It seems like I can't open a new topic here in the bugs-section.   Well, this one looks the closest to my current problem so I just reply here:

Once I open the F3-window this:
No systems is visible, only the blue emptieness of space.   A window with the name "Error in CentreOnLocation" tells me "Error 6.  .  .   Overflow.  .  .  "

If I kill this window twice it won't reappear until I restart the F3-screen, but of course a system map without system is far from useful to me. 

EDIT: if I zoom out, the error message reappears.  If I zoom in the game says "Run-time error '6': Overflow" and crashes after I confirm that window.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 03:30:58 PM by Pyromanuel »

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 05:00:06 PM »
It seems like I can't open a new topic here in the bugs-section.   Well, this one looks the closest to my current problem so I just reply here:

Once I open the F3-window this:
No systems is visible, only the blue emptieness of space.   A window with the name "Error in CentreOnLocation" tells me "Error 6.  .  .   Overflow.  .  .  "

If I kill this window twice it won't reappear until I restart the F3-screen, but of course a system map without system is far from useful to me. 

EDIT: if I zoom out, the error message reappears.  If I zoom in the game says "Run-time error '6': Overflow" and crashes after I confirm that window.

Don't have the game in front of me atm, but in the top-left of that screen you have the zoom buttons and I think there should also be a 'reset to default' or something like that - have a look and try that?

The following users thanked this post: ty55101

Offline Pyromanuel

• Leading Rate
  • P
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 11:13:24 PM »
Yes, button "Min Zoom" repaired it.  Thanks, I thought my game was gone for good.

Offline Daveion

• Petty Officer
  • D
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2012, 12:47:04 PM »
Don't have the game in front of me atm, but in the top-left of that screen you have the zoom buttons and I think there should also be a 'reset to default' or something like that - have a look and try that?

I just had this same issue, and this fix works ty :)

Offline Rogtuok

• Chief Petty Officer
  • R
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2013, 12:37:48 PM »
This bug also applay it you hapend to get to mutch minerals on a planet. 

Offline Beaker

• Chief Petty Officer
  • B
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2015, 04:11:03 PM »
Quote from: Steve Walmsley link=topic=4479. msg44865#msg44865 date=1324900336
This is a bug.  I've found and corrected the problem for the next version.  The most likely reason you have this bug is probably is that one of your planets or ships has an extremely powerful passive sensor. 

Steve, is there any way to tell which passive sensor is causing the trouble? I don't have any DST higher than level 6, and my most powerful shipboard passive sensor is Thermal Sensor TH20-160

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2015, 07:44:20 AM »
None of those would do it, It might be an NPR with a stupidly powerful multi billion range sensor.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline chrislocke2000

• Captain
  • c
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2015, 05:15:26 PM »
Any other ideas on how to address this? I've set my sensor detect settings to zero and have gone to the of rerunning the last two months of my campaign but to no avail. I'm now stuck in 5 sec increments with the error popping up each time.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2015, 11:29:59 PM »
Hi Chris, you might be interested in the workaround I'm using for this bug.
 I'm currently in a battle with an NPR battleship with a speed of 4098 km/s, my 2500 km/s destroyers have no chance of interception, my 4500 km/s FAC's took so long to catch up they were slaughtered just outside missile range, So i'm resorting to my terrible 30% accuracy gauss fighters to destroy the bugger.
Problem is the battleship is 27 kilotons and has 3 armour layers, my fighters are lucky to get 2-3 shots in per increment. This would normally be managable with autoturns, except for that damn sensor overflow bug.
So I'm using autohotkey to spam the spacebar,
Download and install from here: ahkscript.org/download/ahk-install.exe , run the program after installing, then open up a file and paste this into it:
Code: [Select]
    #Persistent
    SetTimer, Space, 3000
    Return

Space:
IfWinExist, Error
{
WinActivate
Send, {Space}
Return
   }
Save it as whatever.ahk, then when you run it you'll have a script that checks every 3 seconds for any window with "error" in the title, then presses spacebar which will close the window.
AHK makes an icon in your toolbar, just rightclick it and  pause script, or  exit to  exit (duh)
Interestingly if you have the script running with this topic open your page will continuously scroll down due to the 'Error" in the title.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 07:04:45 AM by MarcAFK »
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "

Offline chrislocke2000

• Captain
  • c
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2015, 02:13:42 AM »
Thanks very much. I managed to burn through the last bout of 5sec increments and am back to something more manageable at the moment but whenever this comes back to bite will give it a go.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2015, 02:25:06 AM »
Thanks very much. I managed to burn through the last bout of 5sec increments and am back to something more manageable at the moment but whenever this comes back to bite will give it a go.
It'll come back eventually, my spoilers love using their special sensors.

Offline siath

• Leading Rate
  • s
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2016, 02:34:02 PM »
Getting this error too with version 7. 10
Although, mine seems to only show up when I am starting up and selecting my game.  I haven't seen it happen anywhere else in game.  It started happening when I expanded my sensors to max settings.  I got the first warning in game and then nothing else until I restarted.

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2018, 09:54:48 AM »
Getting this error too with version 7. 10
Although, mine seems to only show up when I am starting up and selecting my game.  I haven't seen it happen anywhere else in game.  It started happening when I expanded my sensors to max settings.  I got the first warning in game and then nothing else until I restarted.
Having the same problem. Thought, could be fixed by minimizing the sensor settings. But the bug persists. Can it be fixed in the DB somehow?