Author Topic: C# Aurora v0.x Suggestions  (Read 348600 times)

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
Re: C# Aurora v0.x Suggestions
« Reply #2220 on: April 10, 2020, 06:46:57 AM »

Right but I was thinking real stars, I just so rarely play fake stars.

Okay, but that's equivalent to asking "How come there's never an NPR on Mars when I do a Sol start?"  Real stars doesn't work that way.

- - - - -

To get the kind of 'web of stars' you're looking for, Aurora would have to completely change its 'jump point generation & destination' algorithm, and force every system to have 2-5 jump points that connect to neighbouring systems.

= = = = =

If you mess around with 100%/2 and 100%/3 and 100%/4 settings, and make judicious use of SpaceMaster to force connections (or even just "Add JP") you can get your web, but short of Steve implementing a "No dead end systems" option I don't see how Aurora could do what you want without changing a huge chunk of the code.

Offline Tree

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #2221 on: April 10, 2020, 08:33:31 AM »
Real stars could be made to work like fake stars, or implementing that web for both could be easier (or even more complicated) than any of us thinks. Real stars after all already have XYZ coordinate, fake stars could get XY coordinates of their own. It would also bring a definitive change in pace and gameplay, that's why I'm posting here.

Offline SpaceMarine

• Bug Moderators
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #2222 on: April 10, 2020, 11:49:14 AM »
Hey steve, so after the turn time video came out, we were discussing on the discord and we started talking about how interrupts in C# will be the probably the main thing to "slow" games down,
I know you have worked on interrupts to make them better but maybe adding post release a way to turn off certain non "essential" interrupts such as civillians or haulers, effectively "speeding up"
the game, just a thought. 

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #2223 on: April 10, 2020, 12:05:08 PM »
Hey steve, so after the turn time video came out, we were discussing on the discord and we started talking about how interrupts in C# will be the probably the main thing to "slow" games down,
I know you have worked on interrupts to make them better but maybe adding post release a way to turn off certain non "essential" interrupts such as civillians or haulers, effectively "speeding up"

Here is the current interrupt list for players. There are no civilian interrupts. In C#, NPR interrupts do not stop automated turns; they only shorten the current increment.

Alien Communication
Breathable Atmosphere
Combat Summary
Damage Report
Fleet Message
Gas Removed
Ground Combat Update
Hostile Contact Update
Ice Sheet Melted
Illegal Order
Inactive Lab
Invalid Unload System
Jump Point Detected
Mineral Shortage
New Alien Race
New Hostile Contact
New System Discovered
No Missile Assigned
Orders Completed
Out of Ammo
Overhaul Complete
Pickup Failed
Planet Looted
Production
Ramming Attempt
Reparations
Research Completed
Ruins Exploited
Ruins Located
Ship Construction
Ship Destroyed
Ship Refit
Ship Repair
Ship Scrapped
Ship Surrender
Shipyard Modified
Successful Espionage
System Surveyed
Targeting Problem
Tech Downloaded
Terraforming Report
Transit Failure
Unit Trained

The following users thanked this post: Garfunkel, alaysian, serger, BAGrimm, Tunsku

Offline SpaceMarine

• Bug Moderators
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #2224 on: April 10, 2020, 12:08:38 PM »
Thanks, that seems much better and its nice to actually see what will actually activate the interrupts, good work! Still could be useful to add the ability to turn certain ones off such as "inactive lab"
which can get quite annoying if very specific scenarios such as not enough workers for new labs etc, but overall it looks fine to me

Offline misanthropope

• Lt. Commander
  • m
« Reply #2225 on: April 10, 2020, 12:44:42 PM »
i haven't been following the # conversation very closely, but i'm playing caveman aurora right now, and a QOL buff i would love is this:

on the fleet orders page, the "task force" dropdown shouldn't be to set the TF, it should be a filter (including the option "all", obv) to _display_ only fleets belonging to said task force.  put an identical filter on the "ships" page, and you could put the "assign to a TF" functionality under the "special orders/ organization" tab in the fleet orders page.  it seems pretty natural and the real estate seems sufficient.

thanks

Offline JacenHan

• Captain
  • Discord Username: Jacenhan
« Reply #2226 on: April 10, 2020, 01:08:45 PM »
The fleet orders and organization system has changed pretty dramatically, and the task force/task group distinction doesn't really exist anymore. You may want to read this post and this post.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #2227 on: April 10, 2020, 01:14:32 PM »
Thanks, that seems much better and its nice to actually see what will actually activate the interrupts, good work! Still could be useful to add the ability to turn certain ones off such as "inactive lab"
which can get quite annoying if very specific scenarios such as not enough workers for new labs etc, but overall it looks fine to me

You can't turn workers off in C#, so that issue no longer exists. They just run at lower efficiency.

Offline harpyeagle

• Leading Rate
  • h
« Reply #2228 on: April 10, 2020, 10:57:53 PM »
Hi everyone! Looking forwards to the Aurora C# release :D

One thing I noticed while browsing the forums is that one of the Non-Support Fighter Missions had a really anachronistic sounding name: "Flak Suppression"

It would probably fit better to use the modern terminology: Suppression of Enemy Air Defenses (SEAD)

There is a Wikipedia article for a fuller description.  I'd link to it but hyperlinks don't seem to work.

Offline harpyeagle

• Leading Rate
  • h
« Reply #2229 on: April 11, 2020, 08:56:46 AM »
Well, I guess my gripe with Flak Suppression is that it isn't general.  Flak (which sounds like WW2 or early cold war era air defence artillery) versus the more generic Enemy Air Defences.

Offline harpyeagle

• Leading Rate
  • h
« Reply #2230 on: April 11, 2020, 10:18:28 AM »
For some reason [img] tags aren't working for me, nether are links  ???  so I'll just have to paste this URL below:

hxxp: www. pentarch. org/steve/Screenshots/Crusade/1889_017. PNG

When viewing displays such as this one, where there are many different objects on and around a body with many different owners, I think it would be much easier to read at a glance if the list was sorted 1st by surface/orbital (kind of like how it is now), 2nd by ownership, then 3rd by tonnage.  Visually pulling apart the HOT and MARS ships in that long list is a bit of a headache.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #2231 on: April 11, 2020, 10:47:56 AM »
For some reason [img] tags aren't working for me, nether are links  ???  so I'll just have to paste this URL below:

hxxp: www. pentarch. org/steve/Screenshots/Crusade/1889_017. PNG

When viewing displays such as this one, where there are many different objects on and around a body with many different owners, I think it would be much easier to read at a glance if the list was sorted 1st by surface/orbital (kind of like how it is now), 2nd by ownership, then 3rd by tonnage.  Visually pulling apart the HOT and MARS ships in that long list is a bit of a headache.

This has already been addressed. Check out the later screenshots.

The following users thanked this post: harpyeagle

Offline DFNewb

• Captain
  • D
« Reply #2232 on: April 11, 2020, 12:35:30 PM »

Here is the current interrupt list for players. There are no civilian interrupts. In C#, NPR interrupts do not stop automated turns; they only shorten the current increment.

Alien Communication
Breathable Atmosphere
Combat Summary
Damage Report
Fleet Message
Gas Removed
Ground Combat Update
Hostile Contact Update
Ice Sheet Melted
Illegal Order
Inactive Lab
Invalid Unload System
Jump Point Detected
Mineral Shortage
New Alien Race
New Hostile Contact
New System Discovered
No Missile Assigned
Orders Completed
Out of Ammo
Overhaul Complete
Pickup Failed
Planet Looted
Production
Ramming Attempt
Reparations
Research Completed
Ruins Exploited
Ruins Located
Ship Construction
Ship Destroyed
Ship Refit
Ship Repair
Ship Scrapped
Ship Surrender
Shipyard Modified
Successful Espionage
System Surveyed
Targeting Problem
Tech Downloaded
Terraforming Report
Transit Failure
Unit Trained

Would it be possible to make this list customizable in future releases?

Offline Jovus

• Lt. Commander
  • J
« Reply #2233 on: April 11, 2020, 12:41:56 PM »
Are NPRs now capable of starting conventional and then transferring to be TN?

Not at release. I will tackle that at some point though.

When you do, would it be too much to ask for a configuration toggle so that you can set it up that some NPRs will not make the transition from conventional to TN empire? This would be a great way to roleplay a 'minor power' scenario where the player could uplift, observe, oppress, etc. someone who "didn't get to space fast enough."

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #2234 on: April 11, 2020, 01:15:33 PM »
Ideally, you would have pre-TN NPRs with a random element so that they research TN in 5-50 years, with some being so far behind that they cannot do it on their own - their fate left to the player.