Author Topic: Orbital fire  (Read 1405 times)

Offline Mastik (OP)

• Lieutenant
  • M
Orbital fire
« on: January 29, 2014, 06:18:26 PM »
A construction brigade managed to dig up some angry robots, and combat has started.   I have a battleship sitting in orbit, is there a way to drop some battleship fire onto this robots?   ???

Offline Nathan_

• Pulsar 4x Dev
  • Commodore
  • N
Re: Orbital fire
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 06:38:12 PM »
Depends, if the atmosphere of the planet is greater than 1 atm of pressure, no beam weapon will work. Nukes will always work, but the planet will suffer some collateral damage from getting nuked. You need to have an active sensor paint the hostile ground force, and then target it with said battleship.

Offline Prince of Space

• Lieutenant
  • We like it very much.
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 07:28:33 PM »
One exception: If the atmosphere is equal to or greater than 1 atmosphere of pressure, most beam weapons won't work, but meson cannons will be unaffected by the atmosphere.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 11:14:43 PM »
I always forget about mesons, I think I should equip my troop carriers with them.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 11:26:09 PM »
Mesons can´t be used vs. ground troops, however (pinpoint weapons with no area of effect)
Ralph Hoenig, Germany

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 11:50:14 PM »
So basically you can only use missiles against ground troops, and you'll wreck the planet?
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline Paul M

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2014, 04:00:55 AM »
Pretty much.  Steve is trying to encourage ground combat.  That is why there are no dedicated kinetic kill weapons, chemical weapons or for that matter simple HE.  Lasers should be effective orbital fire support but well since they are not allowed except against planets without much of an atmosphere for game balance I gather your choice is:  a solid ground force or calling in Sgt. Nuke'm.

My personal feeling is that people have been declaring ground combat dead ever since not long after WW1 and strange but true it still seems to occur.  Even with modern sensors, spy sats, drones, etc.  Air superiourity is a force multiplier but 0x(whatever) = 0.  And I see no real reason that orbital superiority will be significantly different.  Admittedly saturation nuclear bombardment is something that does render ground combat null and void, but it does have a serious draw back in terms of ecological damage.

But the problem is you are basically dealing with a game balance type issue here for which I can see the arguments on all sides.  It is not a problem with a simple easy solution.

Offline Mastik (OP)

• Lieutenant
  • M
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2014, 04:55:19 AM »
  Thanks for the input guys.    Never got to fire a shot, i had other issues.    None of my warships had active sensors, even tho i knew they had been built with them.    After a few moments of stewing over the issue, i discovered the damaged systems window.   :-[    Every one of my active systems was broken.     ;D  But that was after my ground forces took care of the robots.    Anywho, it is something i will routinely check now. 
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 04:56:58 AM by Mastik »