Author Topic: 2.4 Suggestions  (Read 8546 times)

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2007, 09:17:18 AM »
Quote from: "Erik Luken"
Does the conditional order to refuel break into the Training Exercises?

No, training exercises are excluded from conditional orders. In effect, once you give ships an order to go on training exercises, you have no control over them except for an order to break off. Someone suggested in a previous thread that it would be good to have training orders last for a specified amount of time and then the ships would return to normal orders, allowing for maintenance and (in this case) refuelling before starting training again. I think that is probably the way to handle it if I can figure out a straightforward way to do it.

Steve
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline mavikfelna

• Lieutenant
    • http://www.geocities.com/mavikfelna
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2007, 09:26:15 AM »
I don't see any way in SM mode to add shipyards and slipways or adjust slipways. Or remove just slipways for that matter.

In my startup recently I ended up with 10 shipyards and 23 slipways, but the distribution is not to my liking and so I'd like to adjust thing, like moving slipways and removing a few yards to represent a few big yards and better respresent my class sizes and distributions.

Thanks,
--Mav
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by mavikfelna »

Offline SteveAlt

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2007, 12:47:33 PM »
Quote from: "Steve Walmsley"
On the subject of FACs, I also created a 500 ton pinnace using a FAC style ship but with a normal engine.

Also, how about the Light Survey Ship? There appear to be a lot more uses for the fast attack type ship than I first thought :)

Code: [Select]
Grisha class Gravsurvey Ship    850 tons     70 Crew     218 BP      TCS 17  TH 80  EM 0
4705 km/s     Armour 1     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/0/0/1/0     Damage Control 0-0     PPV 0
Replacement Parts 2    

Sorokin S80 Magneto-Plasma Drive (1)    Power 80    Efficiency 0.70    Signature 80    Armour 0    Exp 5%
Fuel Capacity 40,000 Litres    Range 290.4 billion km   (714 days at full power)

Cross Dome B  (1)     GPS 120     Range 1.2m km    Resolution 15
Gravitational Survey Sensors (1)   1 Survey Points

Steve
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by SteveAlt »

Offline sloanjh (OP)

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2007, 11:21:26 PM »
Quote from: "mavikfelna"
I don't see any way in SM mode to add shipyards and slipways or adjust slipways. Or remove just slipways for that matter.

In my startup recently I ended up with 10 shipyards and 23 slipways, but the distribution is not to my liking and so I'd like to adjust thing, like moving slipways and removing a few yards to represent a few big yards and better respresent my class sizes and distributions.

Thanks,
--Mav

I had the same issue, but I think it would be REALLY yuckky for Steve to try to figure out a simple mechanism to allow adjustments (other than just direct editting in SM mode).

John
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by sloanjh »

Offline sloanjh (OP)

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
(No subject)
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2007, 11:52:04 PM »
Quote from: "SteveAlt"
On the subject of FACs, I also created a 500 ton pinnace using a FAC style ship but with a normal engine.
Also, how about the Light Survey Ship? There appear to be a lot more uses for the fast attack type ship than I first thought :-)

Oh yeah, one more.  I really like the idea of my home system's initial system defense being a squadron of fast attack craft, rather than a bunch of long-range heavy missiles.  With the missiles, I was always worried that someone else could design a missile with just a bit longer range, at which point my planet would be effectively defenseless.  The FAC feel like they don't have that problem (even if in reality they'll get their clocks cleaned by an invading fleet).

Thanks,
John

Offline sloanjh (OP)

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
(No subject)
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2007, 11:54:58 PM »
Quote from: "sloanjh"
On the F4 screen, I'd like the statistics for the current commander to show up somewhere when I click on an occupied command (while looking for someplace to assign a new commander).
When you click on an assignment in the possible assignents list, the Officer History section just to the right is replaced with the name and rank of the current commander for that assignment plus a list of his bonuses.

Is this in 2.41, or new to 2.42/2.5?  I just looked for this and didn't see it, although that could just be blindness on my part :-)

Assuming it's new - Thanks!!
John

Offline sloanjh (OP)

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
(No subject)
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2007, 12:04:57 AM »
As an easy short-term measure I have added a line of code to the training cycle so that task groups on training will automatically refuel from any tankers in the task group during each 5-day increment. BTW, if you can afford fuel for FAC training, you are in a better situation than me at the moment :-)

Exploit warning - if I drop a slow ship (e.g. a normal tanker) into an FAC squadron (TG) that's training, I think the fuel consumption per unit time will drop a lot (this actually would work with any TG, I think).  I'm not sure you should plug this hole, however, since it's not obvious to me that ships in training will be darting around at flank speed all the time, and if someone is going to exploit they'll do it anyway (simply add fuel in SM mode, for example).  The fix would probably be to have ships in training consume fuel as if they were at max speed, independent of the actual TG speed.

John

Offline SteveAlt

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
(No subject)
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2007, 02:22:38 AM »

I had the same issue, but I think it would be REALLY yuckky for Steve to try to figure out a simple mechanism to allow adjustments (other than just direct editting in SM mode).

Yes, I need to give this some thought because it isn't straightforward.

Steve

Offline SteveAlt

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
(No subject)
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2007, 02:23:37 AM »
On the F4 screen, I'd like the statistics for the current commander to show up somewhere when I click on an occupied command (while looking for someplace to assign a new commander).
When you click on an assignment in the possible assignents list, the Officer History section just to the right is replaced with the name and rank of the current commander for that assignment plus a list of his bonuses.
Is this in 2.41, or new to 2.42/2.5?  I just looked for this and didn't see it, although that could just be blindness on my part :-) Assuming it's new - Thanks!!

It is in the next version. I have made some data changes so the next version will be v2.5

Steve

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
(No subject)
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2007, 11:08:02 AM »
How about a button on the F5 class design screen to give a ship class a new name.  I quite frequently build a primary class of ship and have several varients.  I would like to use the autonaming for this but currently this means that I have to completely design the ship from scratch again.

Also, how about breaking up the component display on the right hand side of the design view tab.  Maybe having a few broad sections like weapons, power plant and engine, fire control and sensors, etc.  Similiar to what you have for the other half of the page where you pick the items in the ship.  It does not need to be as broken down as that is because there will be far fewer choices onboard most ships.

Brian
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Brian »

Offline sloanjh (OP)

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
(No subject)
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2007, 12:44:50 PM »
On the F9 screen SM mode, it would be good to be able to set "Body Surveyed" at the component (start) or system body level, in addition to the system as a whole.  I've got a race with a distant companion and want them to start with their own component's system surveyed but the companion not surveyed.

John

Offline sloanjh (OP)

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
(No subject)
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2007, 03:17:57 PM »
The ability to set a race-specific color in the "Race" column of the events window (ctrl-F3).  It helps in SM mode to know where the messages are coming from.

John

Offline Kurt

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
(No subject)
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2007, 06:46:26 PM »
Steve -  

I've been playing around with 2.4, and I've got a question/comment/request.  I'd like a little more flexibility with the races/governments, but it is possible that I'm just missing things.  

Mostly, I'd like to be able to create a new government, seperate of any race, then once the government is created, be able to assign an existing race to the government.  This would facilitate setting up multiple governments on the same planet for the same race.  

Like I said, it's possible that this can be done now and I just haven't figured it out.

Kurt
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Kurt »

Offline Kurt

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
(No subject)
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2007, 12:27:19 AM »
Quote from: "SteveAlt"

Yes, I need to give this some thought because it isn't straightforward.

Steve

I would third a call for something along these lines.  

How about giving having the program ask the player what he wants at that point in the setup process?  Aurora could generate the total construction capacity for the race, then ask the player if that is acceptable and how he wants to divide it up.  The player could then create as many shipyards and slipways as he wants, as long as he stays within the maximum construction capacity determined at the start.  

For example, Aurora would determine based on the population that this race should have 40,000 tons of construction capacity.  The player then decides how he wants to divide that up.  One shipyard with one slip that has 40,000 tons capacity, one SY with four slips with 10,000 each, or 4 SY, each with 2 slips, each with 5,000 tons capacity, whatever the player wants.  

Kurt
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Kurt »

Offline sloanjh (OP)

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
(No subject)
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2007, 10:01:58 AM »
Quote from: "Kurt"
How about giving having the program ask the player what he wants at that point in the setup process?  Aurora could generate the total construction capacity for the race, then ask the player if that is acceptable and how he wants to divide it up.  The player could then create as many shipyards and slipways as he wants, as long as he stays within the maximum construction capacity determined at the start.  

The concern I've got with this idea is that I'm only going to know what distribution of shipyards and slipways I'm going to need after I've designed my initial classes, which means after the race has been generated.  I think the easiest thing all around is to have it work (kind of) like initial tech - Aurora generates the SY/SW during setup, then there's a screen in SM mode that allows the player to rearrange the total capacity.  There could be a little capacity counter that adjusts as you add or remove SY and SW.  To make it even easier on himself, Steve could disallow changes to the number of SY - then the possible commands would just be the same ones he has now (add SW, add capacity, retool) plus corresponding remove commands (SW and capacity).  Otherwise, I would say that the first 1000 tons of SY capacity should cost double, e.g. 2000 tons.

Note that I'm not opposed to having Aurora check with the player as Kurt suggests during startup, I just think it's going to cause me headaches that don't make sense from a gameplay point of view if the SM mode isn't available after setup.

John