Author Topic: C# Aurora Changes Discussion  (Read 450155 times)

Offline Detros

• Commander
Re: C# Aurora Changes Discussion
« Reply #885 on: June 12, 2017, 06:12:02 AM »
Perhaps the .25 minimum could be the subject of a few tech levels to reduce required size down although not reducing to current state.

However do like these changes, especially the reduced load times on larger launchers and box launchers from the off.
Minimal size of missile sensor: 4-3-2.5-2-1.5-1
Minimal size of missile ECM/ECCM : 2-1.5-1-0.75-0.5-0.25
?

Or just
Minimal size of missile part (engine, warhead, fuel, armor, sensor, ECM/ECCM): 2-1.75-1.5-1-0.75-0.5-0.25
?

In all those cases you don't have that part at all or have at least listed amount of it.

Offline Cyborg29

• Leading Rate
« Reply #886 on: June 12, 2017, 12:21:46 PM »
Hello!
I hope I'm posting in the right section for suggestions, and i have a (i hope) small one:

Would it be possible to include custom date and time keeping formats, that take a species' homeworld's characteristics (Year and Day) into account?

For example: in one of my current campaigns, my species' homeworld has a 20 hour day and a 282 day year.  With this, a full "day" would be 20 hours instead of the standard 24 hours, and a "year" would have a duration of 282 days, instead of the fixed 360 days.

I apologise in advance if this is the wrong place to post, as I'm still new to the forum.  :P

Cyborg29

The following users thanked this post: MagusXIX

Offline serger

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #887 on: June 12, 2017, 12:40:30 PM »
And your hour is still an Earth hour (1/24 of Earth day), and your second is a 1/3600 of your hour.
And a light year, cm, km, AU. Km/s. Tonn.
And decimal numbering (as we have 10 fingers, not a 6 tentacles).

Sigh.

Offline Cyborg29

• Leading Rate
« Reply #888 on: June 12, 2017, 12:50:14 PM »
Well, if you put it like that, sure it sounds pointless.  I wasn't about to suggest a whole new system of measuring units however, as that would be reinventing the wheel.

What i suggested, i assumed it would be relatively simple to implement, as i think that (atleast VB6) aurora keeps track of time as seconds since the beginning of the playthrough, which could be converted into custom time formats.

(why the sarcasm?).

Offline Detros

• Commander
« Reply #889 on: June 12, 2017, 02:38:37 PM »
Hello!
I hope I'm posting in the right section for suggestions, and i have a (i hope) small one:

Would it be possible to include custom date and time keeping formats, that take a species' homeworld's characteristics (Year and Day) into account?

For example: in one of my current campaigns, my species' homeworld has a 20 hour day and a 282 day year.  With this, a full "day" would be 20 hours instead of the standard 24 hours, and a "year" would have a duration of 282 days, instead of the fixed 360 days.

I apologise in advance if this is the wrong place to post, as I'm still new to the forum.  :P

Cyborg29
If there is a setting for ticks for "production week" there can as well be settings for date format. You could either leave it as default or have custom system - for simplicity just "hours in day", "days in month" and "months in year" with all months the same. Though you may then need new names for months. Eventually there may be just a function in event log exporting that outputs amount of seconds since the start instead of formatted date so players can then go and easily transform it to their time system after that, before writing their AARs.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #890 on: June 12, 2017, 02:42:19 PM »
Its possible to have custom date formatting but it wouldn't be straightforward. The C# DateTime data type handles a lot of date manipulation automatically (much easier than in VB6). If I added a custom calendar I would have to replicate that functionality.

Not saying I won't add it - just that it isn't a high priority at the moment.

The following users thanked this post: Cyborg29

Offline Bremen

• Commodore
  • B
« Reply #891 on: June 13, 2017, 12:57:44 PM »
I've been giving some thought/brainstorming to the missile changes and how they'll effect tactics.

For missiles themselves, ECCM is probably the easiest to analyze. Basically it becomes worth it if your warhead size x the accuracy improvement >= .25 MSP. For the basic reasoning that having x% more missiles hit is pretty similar to having missiles do x% more damage (not exactly similar, but close). Assuming 1-2 MSP warheads, this probably means that level 1 or 2 ECCM wont be very useful; after all, you wont be sure if the enemy will have ECM. 3 becomes quite worthwhile if you expect the enemy to use ECM, and beyond that I suspect it will almost always be worthwhile.

Missile ECM is more complicated, and probably a bit of a nerf to AMMs; after all, it doesn't take much to link ECCM to fire controls, but I doubt you'll put ECCM on your anti-missiles until very high tech levels. I consider this a good thing; currently AMMs are extremely capable and often result in 100% destruction of enemy missiles, turning them into something that thins but doesn't stop incoming waves is a positive in my book. Also they currently become progressively better against equal tech missiles as you advance; giving them a scaling penalty with higher tech will help balance that out. For that reason I think missile ECM will be quite powerful; you might not be able to rely on it against beam PD, but avoiding AMMs (or forcing your opponent to add ECCM to their AMMs, which is a net gain for the larger missile) is quite valuable.

The following users thanked this post: lordcirth

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #892 on: June 13, 2017, 06:18:32 PM »
I'm going on vacation for a couple of weeks so development will be temporarily on hold. On the bright side I will be hiring my own (small) ship for one week of that. My first attempt at the helm so I hope I don't encounter any Precursors :)

Assuming I don't sink, I will be back toward the end of June.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 06:24:46 PM by Steve Walmsley »

The following users thanked this post: lordcirth

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #893 on: June 13, 2017, 06:33:16 PM »
I'm going on vacation for a couple of weeks so development will be temporarily on hold. On the bright side I will be hiring my own (small) ship for one week of that. My first attempt at the helm so I hope I don't encounter any Precursors :)

Assuming I don't sink, I will be back toward the end of June.

Watch your deployment time, and don't forget to stock the magazines before leaving. ;)

Offline Detros

• Commander
« Reply #894 on: June 14, 2017, 12:33:04 AM »
Sneak peak of C# Aurora new tech
"New Electric Hybrid"? So it can use both fuel from sorium and some other TN element?

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #895 on: June 14, 2017, 02:01:55 AM »
"New Electric Hybrid"? So it can use both fuel from sorium and some other TN element?

Obviously it can use the power from the power-plants which are environmentally friendly since they don't use fuel at all ;)

Offline Detros

• Commander
« Reply #896 on: June 14, 2017, 03:49:30 AM »
Obviously it can use the power from the power-plants which are environmentally friendly since they don't use fuel at all ;)
Let's then hope they don't explode. Also, doesn't using power plants for driving starve the lasers too much? Steve, have you packed enough of them so you can both drive and fire? Slowing down to fend of incoming missiles doesn't sound like the best idea,

OK, let's calm down again.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #897 on: June 14, 2017, 11:27:10 AM »
Let's then hope they don't explode. Also, doesn't using power plants for driving starve the lasers too much? Steve, have you packed enough of them so you can both drive and fire? Slowing down to fend of incoming missiles doesn't sound like the best idea,

OK, let's calm down again.

In terms of logistics, I can confirm plentiful supplies of beer. Not sure on anything else :)

Offline boggo2300

• Registered
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #898 on: June 14, 2017, 04:33:48 PM »
English beer doesn't count Steve, it's more like custard than the nectar of life ;)
The boggosity of the universe tends towards maximum.

Offline ZimRathbone

• Captain
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #899 on: June 15, 2017, 02:11:06 AM »
English beer doesn't count Steve, it's more like custard than the nectar of life ;)
I'll grant you that there is a lot of bad English beer (Tetley, Boddingtons, John Smith et al) but there is some very fine stuff, especially from the north - Old Peculier is my particular favourite :-)

I used to enjoy many a fine night in Hebden Bridge when I was younger 8-$
Slàinte,

Mike