Author Topic: Enemies don't pause when spotted for a second time?  (Read 2633 times)

Offline liveware

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
Re: Enemies don't pause when spotted for a second time?
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2021, 06:27:54 PM »
A couple of suggestions:

Manually change the game 'sub pulse' to 5 seconds at the start of every game session (second bar below the time increment bar at top of tactical screen).

If you want game to generate interrupts for a particular faction's ship contacts, change that faction to hostile. The game should generate an interrupt whenever a hostile contact 'changes'.
Open the pod-bay doors HAL...

Offline Stormtrooper (OP)

• Captain
  • S
  • The universe is a Dark Forest
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2021, 07:05:25 PM »
You seriously think I haven't turned Invaders to hostile through all this time?... SERIOUSLY?...

The game Does. Not. Interrupt. When. Already. Detected. Ships. Reappear. For. The. Second. Time. This is especially visible when they jump in, get detected, jump out and jump in for the second time.

As for your suggestion about sub pulse... I think I waste less IRL time by saving often and sometimes having to reload last save and increment manually than I'd waste by allowing performance-unfriendly subpulse...

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2021, 07:37:35 PM »
This campaign's experience cannot be reported in bug reports, because there were DB intrusions in it.

This happens on virgin DBs as well. A ship contact that has been reacquired will not interrupt your increment ever, regardless of whether or not it is set to hostile. It's not a bug per se because I think it's legitimately how the code is written to work however it is quite bad that it happens.

What should happen IMO is that "contact update" no longer interrupts the player whereas a new event "contact reacquired" is made which does interrupt.

The following users thanked this post: Stormtrooper

Offline liveware

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2021, 07:43:33 PM »
Hmm

My experience is that contacts for hostile factions generate interrupts when they change. This is with unmodified databases.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2021, 08:55:29 PM »
Hmm

My experience is that contacts for hostile factions generate interrupts when they change. This is with unmodified databases.

This is because they trigger a "contact updated" event. These fire when something happens that updates the contact - either new information e.g. detecting the thermal or active sensor signature for the first time, or revising of old information e.g. the contact changes speed or raises shields.

The "edge case" which is not caught is that if a contact is lost and then reacquired with no change to its state (same speed, same sensors on/off, same shield levels, etc.) it will not fire a "contact updated" event, and there is no "contact reacquired" event. This really should be in the game because the edge cases are not uncommon, but right now it is not and we must deal with it somehow.

The following users thanked this post: Barkhorn, Droll, Stormtrooper

Offline liveware

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2021, 09:37:01 PM »
Hmm

This is because they trigger a "contact updated" event. These fire when something happens that updates the contact - either new information e.g. detecting the thermal or active sensor signature for the first time, or revising of old information e.g. the contact changes speed or raises shields.

The "edge case" which is not caught is that if a contact is lost and then reacquired with no change to its state (same speed, same sensors on/off, same shield levels, etc.) it will not fire a "contact updated" event, and there is no "contact reacquired" event. This really should be in the game because the edge cases are not uncommon, but right now it is not and we must deal with it somehow.

That's an asinine edge case but I suppose such edge cases should not be surprising.