Author Topic: Fighter in Early Technology Era, what should I do?  (Read 9104 times)

Offline drmzsz7

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • d
Re: Fighter in Early Technology Era, what should I do?
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2014, 10:31:40 PM »
Hey I have a question, how do tankers work? do they require a hangar larger then the ship their meant to refuel or is it like hoses in space attached to lines for any ship size.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2014, 11:55:01 PM »
Any ship that is at the same location as another ship can transfer fuel, or missiles instantly using the individual ship details screen, but if you set a design as a tanker then other ships will be able to refuel from it using the conditional orders ie "refuel from nearest tanker when fuel is at 50%" tankers also get the "dump 90% fuel at location " order.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline drmzsz7

• d
« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2014, 02:51:42 AM »
Ahhhh I thought it required a hanger the size of what you were refueling (in my case fighters) with larger ships needing only proxi. Thanks!

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2014, 03:00:53 PM »
Ahhhh I thought it required a hanger the size of what you were refueling (in my case fighters) with larger ships needing only proxi. Thanks!

Something you can do for fighters is also a refueling model that fly in the same wing (carrying only extra fuel instead of weapons/sensor/ammo), then you can use the "equalize fuel" button to distribute fuel in the group equally between the ships once the fighters start running low.

Offline drmzsz7

• d
« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2014, 08:07:44 AM »
That lack of fighters in the earlier game does not seem odd to me.  I will try to explain.

There is an evolution to how we conduct naval combat based on our technology.  You can see this in our shift from shore batteries, to surface combatants, to deck space for naval aviation, to the modern advent of stand off attacks with cruise missiles.

I think seeing the same style of evolution in Aurora based on technology is equally fascinating.

Your looking at it from the wrong direction in regards to new areas of exploration. Man when it went to the oceans did not start out with carriers, nor cruiser sized vessels. Quite the opposite man made canoes, and slowly but surely as engineering competence increased, the vessels progressively got larger and larger. Starting off with "fighter" size of 125-250tons is actually quite reasonable, considering that in comparison with todays tonnage for "space craft", ie orbiter weighs 178,000 lbs or 80 metric tons. This would make even these "fighters" advanced shuttles for a timeframe in the future of our current present.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 08:38:26 AM by drmzsz7 »

Offline drmzsz7

• d
« Reply #50 on: June 24, 2014, 04:01:14 PM »
Something you can do for fighters is also a refueling model that fly in the same wing (carrying only extra fuel instead of weapons/sensor/ammo), then you can use the "equalize fuel" button to distribute fuel in the group equally between the ships once the fighters start running low.

This is genius!!! A fighter sized tanker, brilliant!