Author Topic: Diplomacy Question  (Read 1754 times)

Offline Zatsuza (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • Z
Diplomacy Question
« on: March 02, 2013, 06:58:40 AM »
Hello Aurora fans :)

Nice to meet ya all-- so far I've got a pretty good handle on the game and recently I had my first combat encounter.

That is, I discovered a neutral NPR-- checking the diplomacy screen they were -66 against me, but they were still neutral.  I sent my suvey vessel in closer for reconaissance, to see if it was just the one colony they had (so far there were about 3 systems with nothing worth colonizing, except for perhaps a few moons in wolf 359 to act as a resupply and sorium mining for the nearby gas giants, but nothing otherwise suitable)

So even though I can imagine an alien race suddenly appearing and colonizing a few of your worlds would probably piss another government off, we hadn't even reached that stage yet.  My survey vessel was sitting above their homeworld with active sensors on and boom-- just before I send a JCS out to build a gate on the other side they go from blue to red (so civilian to hostile right?) and the diplomacy screen reads a whopping -477.

So my question is twofold. 
First how/why the hell did they suddenly go overt hostile on me? was it the active scanners, because again I can kinda see that another race really wouldn't want their ships scanned for weaknesses and suchlike, much less right above their homeworld.

Secondly, as it is I didn't even get much useful intelligence from the scanners anyway apart from tonnages and observed/estimated speeds.  I did notice one ship class with 16 gauss cannons (about 29kt, I assume it was some kind of PD variant.  Pretty sure this is the ship that ripped up my first survey probe. ) and another few classes that resembled FACs (more on those later) is there any other way to increase the intelligence gained on ships from active scanners? would that require a ship commander with intelligence or survey, for example-- and if this lone ship would be in a nearby system and the task force HQ in sol with say, a staff officer in intelligence etc?

So please enlighten me so my future attempts at diplomacy don't inadvertently cause another interstellar war, thx :P
I tried to send a second ship with a diplomatic team, which managed to drop them off on their homeworld before getting blown to pieces.  RIP GEV, you died well.  Next thing I know I've got a hot thermal contact on my sol jump point and no military.  That turns into twenty contacts as my ships get closer.  My first three ships managed to get into beam range, having no decent missile tech at this point and ripped up one of their FACs, after which they had to await acknowledgement before pursuing the second one, because they were a rush job fleet and I hadn't had time to train them lol.  Suprisingly I managed to do a large amount of damage to their fleet while sustaining very little myself thanks to a few tier 2 shields being able to tank their missile salvos.

Offline metalax

• Commander
  • m
Re: Diplomacy Question
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 10:39:45 AM »
My usual forms of diplomacy tend to involve the term gigatonnage so I'm not too practised with the diplomacy system, but from what I recall a NPR's opinion of you will drop if they detect you using active sensors in a system they have claimed(possibly if they detect you using them anywhere) and it also drops if they detect a ship of yours in a system they have claimed.

For a task-force HQ to have any effect it has to be in the same system as the ship that is performing an action. Use flag bridges to provide a space for a HQ to travel on a ship if you want their effect in another system.

Offline Zatsuza (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • Z
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 10:51:15 AM »
My usual forms of diplomacy tend to involve the term gigatonnage so I'm not too practised with the diplomacy system, but from what I recall a NPR's opinion of you will drop if they detect you using active sensors in a system they have claimed(possibly if they detect you using them anywhere) and it also drops if they detect a ship of yours in a system they have claimed.

For a task-force HQ to have any effect it has to be in the same system as the ship that is performing an action. Use flag bridges to provide a space for a HQ to travel on a ship if you want their effect in another system.

Hey metalax. thanks for the reply. This is Iosys from the bay12 forums btw. just cruising the aurora forum for tips and tricks :)

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 01:42:30 PM »
Diplomacy teams don't need to leave your Homeworld :)

Activate them using the Intelligence/Diplomacy screen

Secondly, as it is I didn't even get much useful intelligence from the scanners anyway apart from tonnages and observed/estimated speeds.  I did notice one ship class with 16 gauss cannons (about 29kt, I assume it was some kind of PD variant.  Pretty sure this is the ship that ripped up my first survey probe. ) and another few classes that resembled FACs (more on those later) is there any other way to increase the intelligence gained on ships from active scanners? would that require a ship commander with intelligence or survey, for example-- and if this lone ship would be in a nearby system and the task force HQ in sol with say, a staff officer in intelligence etc?
From combat you can get basic information about the enemy sensors and detected weapons systems, and minimum strengths for armor.  But for anything more than that you need espionage and/or wreckage salvage.  Preez to be noting that information about enemy sensors is only vaguely accurate because there's no way to know what their EM sensor tech level is, so it bases it off of yours. 

Offline Conscript Gary

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 04:16:07 PM »
Also someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the displayed relationship your attitude towards them?
With their attitude towards you being hidden.

Offline Zatsuza (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • Z
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2013, 04:18:31 PM »
Aha, thanks DeadlyShoe. Didn't know I'd need espionage teams, I assumed that would show you useless stuff like their manufacturing capability etc. Then again even seeing their number of ordinance factories/fighter production facilities would be big help on the strategic level, just not as much as seeing a certain class ship's weapon loadout for example.

Again, thanks for the help both of you this question has been answered-- I'll be opening another topic with quite a few questions so if you could help out I'd be grateful :)

Also someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the displayed relationship your attitude towards them?
With their attitude towards you being hidden.
Actually I think I saw something like that in another thread. It would certainly make sense-- once they've blown two of my peaceful interstellar probes into space dust my population won't exactly take a shine to them-- and again, having my ship blast active sensors above their homeworld probably wasn't endearing me to them.

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013, 05:29:17 PM »
No problem :)

Conscript Gary is correct. It is possible for their relationship with you to be Hostile while yours with them is Neutral.  And vice versa. Hilarity abounds!

To be clear, you don't need espionage teams per se (which DO need to be deployed to an enemy world).  Several different things can net you Espionage points.   The most important thing is picking up enemy lifepods, the survivors (especially officers) will give you espionage points.   Get enough and you will be rewarded with intel.   Espionage teams also give you EPs but are very hard to get into position if you arn't sharing a world. 

Espionage mostly rewards you with enemy system locations, enemy ship designs, enemy missile designs, and the like.