Author Topic: Ramilies Starfort: Become a Starswarm yourself!  (Read 12163 times)

Offline Vandermeer (OP)

• Rear Admiral
Re: Ramilies Starfort: Become a Starswarm yourself!
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2014, 01:51:40 PM »
...I don't even know why. I have played many 4x games, I would say even close to all of them (as there are just a few dozen even today), but never did I tend to this gigantism before this. However, few 4x games give you the option of freely designing your ship sizes, so maybe it was just a hidden side I never saw. In fact, the only other game that I can think of where it was truly open too, is Star Ruler 1. Though even there maximum size was restricted to tech grade, it would steadily rise when you advanced research.(it was so open ended that in theory ships could get bigger than stars or -probably with cheats- galaxies... ridiculous) In this game I too had a couple of maximum size carriers, battleships and usually one mothership, but they were complemented with fleets of cruisers and such, as I really couldn't stand the surreality of only throwing capital ships at an enemy.(that is why I dislike sci fi browser games, where in the end supposedly everyone just throws around fleets of death stars or battleships...)

I can also guess that the cause might be the fact that Aurora's standard ship sizes are so incredibly small compared to what you see in sci fi everywhere. I started my journey here by trying to replicate Star Trek designs, and later Warhammer, but actually it doesn't matter to what you compare, because I dare to say that any franchise sports bigger ships than Aurora. This bothers me indeed, even though it might be realistic.
Normally I prefer realism in things like for example Pen and Paper games, where I often adjust rules in that direction even when at risk of bugging the gameplay sometimes. ..But in sci-fi I prefer a good balance.
playing Aurora as swarm fleet: Zen Nomadic Hive Fantasy