Author Topic: Sensors & Targeting - Solved  (Read 2326 times)

Sensors & Targeting - Solved
« on: October 09, 2011, 01:15:33 PM »
I've constructed a brand new combat fleet and I've sent them to fight a backwater hostile NPR.      They're not capable of doing much damage to me, but then again, neither am I, because I can't target them.      All of my ships have active sensors which are on, and I'm detecting them on active (and thermal), but I can't fire even though I'm well within the range of my FCs.      All of these ships are brand new and 100% trained, and at least ten or so of them have commanders.      I can see the hostile ships in the TF menu if I turn on Show Contacts, but I can't target them even though it's showing I have active sensor contacts.      Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't know.   

I've engaged Precursors in a previous game at point-blank range with the same ship designs, but maybe there's something new in v5.    5 I didn't notice (or a game mechanic anyway), is there a minimum range to firing?

EDIT: Just as a test, I SM-moved my ships further away and found more of their ships that I was able to target and fire at, which makes sense that I should be able to see them.    But at point-blank range I couldn't see the ones at the JP, even though I have resolution-1 sensors, I should be able to detect any non-fighter ship at that range with actives.    I'm thinking I'm missing something basic now. 

EDIT2: Now I moved my ships back to the JP after the NPR moved a distance away, and now I can detect the exact same ships.   I think I'm being dense, what happened? Can active sensors not detect ships right on top of a JP that you jump in on?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 03:23:57 PM by AxisKiller »

Offline user-unknown

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
Re: Sensors & Targeting
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 02:08:10 PM »
If you jump in directly on top of a fleet, there is a delay before you can use your sensors and weapons - not sure if that is what is happening here or not.  The delay is on the order of minutes IIRC.

Re: Sensors & Targeting
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 03:23:48 PM »
Okay, that's probably the issue, I was only waiting a few seconds on the JP.  Thanks for the help.

Offline Girlinhat

• Lieutenant
  • G
Re: Sensors & Targeting - Solved
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 03:31:18 PM »
I believe there's no issue for firing missiles though.  Someone reported being able to jump in, drop buoys, and jump out while blind.  Can't recall how old that report was though.  Might still be able to fire self-guided missiles instantly.

Offline Mel Vixen

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2011, 04:20:58 PM »
That got fixed in 5.51 iirc.
"Share and enjoy, journey to life with a plastic boy, or girl by your side, let your pal be your guide.  And when it brakes down or starts to annoy or grinds as it moves and gives you no joy cause its has eaten your hat and or had . . . "

- Damaged robot found on Sirius singing a flat 5th out of t

Offline Girlinhat

• Lieutenant
  • G
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2011, 05:38:51 PM »
Ah, probably.  Fair enough then.

Offline user-unknown

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2011, 05:28:14 PM »
That got fixed in 5.51 iirc.

I remember seeing that it had been fixed in a comment, but tried it myself in 5.53 after accidentally jumping into a Precursor gatecamp and it was still working.  (By working, I mean that only half my 20 ship fleet died horribly before the firedelay ended instead of all of them... ;) )

Offline WHCnelson

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • W
Re: Sensors & Missile FC Design
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2011, 08:09:48 PM »
     I have a question on Designing Sensors and Missile Fire Controls.    I am planning on starting a campaign and designing my fleet and its tech from scratch and I have come up with a problem.     I noticed that when I let the CPU do the designs that the sensors size ranges include 1, 2, 3, 4,5, 6, and 12 with the resolutions including 1 for missiles, 4, 20, and then sometimes 61, 73, and 85.   I know that these relate to the size detection.   But, when the cpu designs it comes with odd numbers.   What to the size 4, and 20 relate too and what is the best resolution to choose to detech vessels.   
     I also noticed that the MFC units size ranges from 0.33 (0.3 if I do it), 1, 2, and 4 with the resolutions being the same ranges from the sensors.   Please help me understand this...

Thanks

William

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2011, 08:47:18 PM »
4 is fighters (200tons), 20 is FACs (1000tons).

A MFC has 3x the power of an active sensor so a MFC that is 1/3 the size will have the same range.

Offline WHCnelson

• W
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2011, 11:56:40 PM »
  Thanks for the Info. ;D   But, what resolution is good for Destroyers, Cruisers, Heavy Cruisers, Battle Cruiser, and Extetera Exetera.   I usually make my destoyers 8,000 tons, Cruisers 12,000 tons, Hvy Cruisers 14,000 tons, and Battle Cuisers 16,000 tons.   So, what I am asking is should my resolution for vessels greater than say 3000 tons be a resolution 50, 60, ... ?

Thanks

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2011, 01:53:06 AM »
If you're fighting enemies with ships of a particular size you can tune your sensors for that size. However generally speaking 5000tons (resolution 100) is accepted as the goto for a general search sensor. 

Offline WHCnelson

• W
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2011, 06:25:39 AM »
ok, Thanks.  ;D :o
So, Here is another question.   Say I choose the Resolution 75 which means I would be able to see vessels from 3750 tons and Greater? ??? ::)  Thanks for your help in this... 

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2011, 07:10:08 AM »
With a res-75 sensor, you can see targets of 3750 tons and greater to the full range of your sensor. For targets smaller than 3750 tons the following rule is in effect.

Sensors (4.91):

If target smaller than sensor resolution:

Actual Range = Range x ((Target size) / (Resolution))^2

i.e. if the target is half the size of your sensors resolution, you can spot it at 1/4 range, if the target is 1/3 the size, you can spot it at 1/9 the range and so on.

Note: This formula is as of 4.91. Steve has made some adjustments since, especially for smaller resolutions, so against fighters/FACs, the formula will not be totally correct, but it should still give you an aproximate.
Ralph Hoenig, Germany