Author Topic: Those Who Must Endure Chapter I - The Red Lotus  (Read 2194 times)

Offline Thanatos (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • T
Those Who Must Endure Chapter I - The Red Lotus
« on: May 03, 2016, 05:37:00 AM »
MM:

I watch as the fire blooms across the sky of Earth. Our planet will die. They say that man became civilized when he invented fire, and how to create flame. Then, was it not a given, that he would become greater, when he invented nuclear fire, and how to create the nuclear flame? Is our evolutionary next step from Civilization... Destruction? War? Annihilation?

"This is the Izanagi to the vessels of the Soviet Union. Turn off your Engines or you will be fired upon. This is your only warning."

I watch as the fire blooms across the sky of Earth. It reminded me of a lesson I learned when I was young, when my Kendo instructor taught me a valuable proverb: "He who calls the static by it's name, was named by the static." It took me a long time to understand what 'static' meant, but now, looking at Earth like this... I understand it all too well. We, humans, are creatures with minds full of thorns. On a spiral of torment we are wound and twisted.

"Open fire."

I watch as the fire blooms across the sky of Earth. Is it possible to still call this planet that sheltered us for so long, and gave us fire, 'Home'?

Off-Topic: show

The Soviets made a brilliant maneuver, which would've worked if their information was more complete. They knew about the specs of the Nagato kyu Planetary Defense Center. It was an old design, based around a CIWS which was designed for anti-TSF operations, not anti-missile.

Nagato class Planetary Defence Centre    36500 tons     531 Crew     6560 BP      TCS 730  TH 0  EM 0
Armour 24-98     Shields 0-0     Sensors 45/54/0/0     Damage Control 1     PPV 152
Annual Failure Rate: 2%    IFR: 0%    Maintenance Capacity 0 MSP
Parasite Capacity 3000 tons     Troop Capacity: 5 Battalions    Flight Crew Berths -10   

Type 155b Railgun (8x4)    Range 180,000km     TS: 8000 km/s     Power 9-6     RM 6    ROF 10        3 3 3 3 3 3 2 2 2 1
Type 140 Assault Cannon (8x4)    Range 120,000km     TS: 8000 km/s     Power 6-6     RM 6    ROF 5        2 2 2 2 2 2 1 1 1 1
Quad Type 120 CIWS Turret (8x16)    Range 10,000km     TS: 8000 km/s     Power 0-0     RM 1    ROF 5        1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
iTSF Type 46b TSC (2)    Max Range: 240,000 km   TS: 8000 km/s     96 92 88 83 79 75 71 67 62 58
iTSF Type 48 TSC (2)    Max Range: 120,000 km   TS: 32000 km/s     92 83 75 67 58 50 42 33 25 17
Magnetic Confinement Fusion Reactor Technology PB-1 (5)     Total Power Output 100     Armour 0    Exp 5%

Type 40 Capital Ship Side Thermal Sensor Array (1)     Sensitivity 45     Detect Signature 1000: 45m km
Type 18 Capital Ship Sensor Mast (1)     GPS 72000     Range 916.4m km     Resolution 200
Type 18b Capital Ship EMWT (1)     GPS 180     Range 32.4m km     Resolution 1
Type 4 Capital Ship Side Passive EM Array (1)     Sensitivity 54     Detect Strength 1000: 54m km

Repair Cost: 6

This ship is classed as a Planetary Defence Centre

Perhaps in the greater scheme of things, the Soviets plan would've worked, as they approached the PDC and Tokyo, from LEO, and released their bombs on the city. But their plan was foiled by the appearance of a second Nagato kyu PDC, built in secrecy over three years ago. As a sort of 'first strike', they launched their bombs on Tokyo, and the Empire of Japan, and possibly doomed the Earth.

Our counter attack was only halted because of the fact that if we launch another G-Dan on Earth, it will truly be lost. The Commanders of those Nagatos have scored nearly 90,000 tons of kills, and they truly are heroes. The damage they took in that engagement will see them out of operation for a long time-- something that we cannot afford.

Thus, our first objective has to be halting those Soviet ships, or destroying them, and then preparing plans to evacuate Earth-- or somehow save it.

"Your Imperial Majesty, there is a secure comm for you on the stack." The communications officer spoke, and at first I was too absorbed at the tragedy taking place on the monitor, displaying the small blue planet, lit up by nuclear fire.

"Empress Mei, it is a pleasure to speak with you." Said the voice on the comm, as I made my way off the bridge. It was First Secretary Romanov. The leader of the USSR.

"If your plan is to beg, Romanov, you will be disappointed by the result." I snarled back at him.

"No, no, on the contrary. I was expecting you to do the begging."

"Is that so? That is funny, Romanov. Because in about twenty seconds your last combat worthy vessel near Earth will be destroyed, and then I will come down there and snap your neck with my bare hands."

"Even if it means dooming the Earth, my darling Mei?"

"Do not call me by my first name, worm."

He chuckled at my response, "Still, Mei darling, if you approach Earth, I will detonate over 2,000 tons of Grav-Bombs. So you see, you have already lost. Surrender your Archipelago, and turn over your ships, and we can forget about this. What do you say?"

I smiled, "Romanov: There are two sayings our culture is fond of. 'The nail that sticks out gets hammered.' and 'Nothing can be done'. I look forward to executing you in front of your Committee, just before I execute them as well."

"Mei wai--"

I turned off the comm-link and sighed.

"He who calls the static by it's name..."

March 12th - 0300

The situation is dire, but manageable. The enemy ships are too far from Earth to provide support. They may even be non-combatants. SIGINT has no information on the weaponry of those ships, but a few of them stand out by their thermal signatures and reported cross-sections. They may possess advanced engines, rivaling our own.

Currently engaging 21m kilometers from Earth:

Besides those three, we have already destroyed half a dozen others of the same class. They do not appear to be combat vessels, but they may be colliers, carrying munition, and we cannot allow that to proceed. This war has become dirty by the fact that besides our cooperation in exterminating BETA, there was no cooperation. We do not know their abilities, and they barely have a grasp on ours. An asymmetric scenario created by the relative safety of the Soviet Union, and the constant front-line deployment of the Empire.

Soon, they will be dust in the wind and we shall deploy to the North of the Earth to screen the bogeys that are too far away, so they cannot perform another bombing run on the Earth.

25 strength 3 Railgun Impacts bombard one of the Krivaks and obliterate it's top armor, as the Zuikaku kyu Destroyers open fire. But soon enough, as promised, it is over, and the final report reads over 500,000 tons of commercial shipping has been destroyed when the task group was chased from Earth, all the way out to 20 million kilometers. A brutal, but efficient, method of ending the war quickly.

I wondered for a while why many of the military ships were away from Earth, but the Soviet Union possibly assumed that they would win the engagement, and spread out to negate the EU and USA launching coordinated counter attacks. A pre-emptive move by the Soviets, that would possibly cost them this war. But it was not over yet. They had to refuel, and then re-deploy.

KR:
March 11 - 0652

EU forces approach dangerously close to the screen line and deliberations are still in progress on whether or not we should or should not engage them. Their path towards Earth makes it seem like they are ignoring us. I wonder if EU has declared war on the Soviet Union. As the radiation of the blasts, from 6 hours ago, pulsed across the planet, it knocked out communications via satellite and the dust is blocking laser comm. Right now we have no way of knowing what is happening on Earth.

Law of Military Action states that for vessels cut off from command, they are to act upon their own initiative for the defense of their motherland. But that assumes that your Highest Command is not on a Carrier, 10 million kilometers away, and perfectly capable of giving orders. But in this case, who is the 'Command'? My commander, or the politicians on Earth? And what is my interest? The defense of my supreme commander, or my country?

I lay down a Red Lotus on the holopad and close my eyes.

Humans are made of thorns.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 05:41:37 AM by Thanatos »

Offline Thanatos (OP)

• T
Re: Those Who Must Endure Chapter I - The Red Lotus
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 05:44:01 AM »
I do apologize for the bit of a concise sort of retelling of the events. I was in Germany for 7 days, and by the time I returned, I forgot things, and continued from cleaning up the battle. I do hope that in the future these posts will have more substance to them, so, please consider Chapter I as a crash course to something possibly epic.

Offline QuakeIV

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2016, 03:49:20 PM »
I am a fan of this writing style and hope you continue.  I will note however that NPRs have been known to be extremely aggressive so this may end somewhat abruptly if you have no control over them.  (they will just continuously nuke the hell out of you even if they are on the same planet, zero self-preservation)

Offline Thanatos (OP)

• T
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2016, 07:56:50 PM »
I appreciate the feedback! Not long after posting that, I got sick and could not commit to the campaign, but now I am fine. I am aware that civilian shipping triggers aggression, and I hope to keep at least one of these guys on my side, but I do not know how plausible that will be without resorting to SM mode. I'll try to play it as straight as I can however.