Author Topic: Unassign bulk  (Read 1508 times)

Offline Thiosk (OP)

• Commodore
Unassign bulk
« on: March 05, 2012, 01:28:47 AM »
I'm training up fleets of new warships, and have tuned officer requirements accordingly.  However, some of my older model ships-- the rustbuckets now flown by local planetary defense forces-- still have nice officers assigned to them.

Is there any proper way to un-helm large groups of similar, old ships?  I don't really want to unassign EVERYTHING...

*meh, just ran unassign type routine, then assigned all.  Since the old ships had lower ranks now, the cap'ms all went to the shiney new ships and the lieutenants manned the old rustbuckets.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 01:57:47 AM by Thiosk »

Offline xeryon

• Captain
Re: Unassign bulk
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 06:47:44 AM »
The unassign type is the way to go.  Unassign all whacks your administrators and scientists too.  Odd that, unassign all does exactly what you wold think, but auto assign doesn't assign everyone.  It only does naval and ground officers.  Not that I want the computer to pick and choose my research projects for me but assigning best available scientists to partially completed projects and assigning administrators to most likely bodies would be a nice touch.  Else you end up like I did and speculate why you haven't seen any projects complete in a while and come to find out that officer reassignment I did 1.5 years ago....whoops!  Won't make that mistake again.

Offline Thiosk (OP)

• Commodore
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 11:11:39 AM »
Well, it clears the Fleet Offices as well.  That cut out a few months of intensive training!  *(i have a huge fleet doing training operations...)*

Offline xeryon

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 11:25:53 AM »
Oh yea, you have to manually specify the fleet commander.  Did that whoops too.

Another thing I am finding is that the auto assign function has not been assigning the best candidates for my Operations staff position.  Am I correct in my assumption in that Operation is what controls my speed in training?  The first guy it auto assigned my fleets never trained a tenth.  After manually assigning a guy with operations bonus and fleet training bonus it seems to be training, but at a slower rate then I was expecting.  Must be something else both me and the computer are missing.

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 03:43:59 AM »
The primary stat for training is the TF commander's training stat, which has a tremendous negative penalty if the person commanding a TF is the same /higher rank as the TF commander.

Offline xeryon

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 07:55:05 AM »
So the staff level commander (Operations?) needs to be a higher rank then the fleet/ship level commander to be most effective in training?  WTH did aurora pick a lieutenant (Entry grade) commander?  What a pain.  10 years into this particular game and all my battle fleets are still at 3-4% TF because I couldn't figure out the proper combination and the auto assign was giving me the cold shoulder.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 08:48:19 AM »
So the staff level commander (Operations?) needs to be a higher rank then the fleet/ship level commander to be most effective in training?  WTH did aurora pick a lieutenant (Entry grade) commander?  What a pain.  10 years into this particular game and all my battle fleets are still at 3-4% TF because I couldn't figure out the proper combination and the auto assign was giving me the cold shoulder.
No.  The commanding admiral needs to outrank his subordinates.  So all 6 staff slots in the TF need to be occupied by commanders at least one level lower than the TF overall commander.

I've never paid much attention to the TG commander ranks (probably because I never had them outrank the TF commander), but I assume TheDeadlyShoe is correct about the TG (he mis-typed TF here) commander needing to be lower rank than the TF commander.  (And just to be clear, "Task Group" is a bunch of ships that you can give orders to go somewhere to.  "Task Force" is an organizational structure with a commander and staff officers.

John