Author Topic: Civvies ignoring nebula  (Read 1267 times)

Offline DFDelta (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
Civvies ignoring nebula
« on: March 15, 2012, 08:41:07 PM »
Is there a way to make civvies stop ignoring a nebula?

Usually I'm fine with them ignoring those systems so I never had to deal with that issue, but in my most recent campaign I ran into a small problem.
Sol has 3 jump points, 2 of which run into dead ends after 2 jumps each, and the third JP leads into a nebula on the first jump.
I've colonized the 4 systems that I can reach without any problems but now I want to spread into and beyond the nebula.

Problem is, all my civvies completely ignore the 2 colonies inside the nebula, and they also ignore all jobs that would lead them to the other side of it.

Since I ran into the situation early all my ship designs (well exept for 1 civ freighter that was build before I knew the other 2 JPs ended in dead ends) are equipped to handle the effects and still have at least 1800km/s inside the nebula.

Of course I could just SM in a new JP to one of the dead ends and connect it to the system directly after the nebula, but I'd like to keep it the way it is.  (a "gateway" like this brings some interesting defensive possibilities)
Constant optimism will not solve your problems, but it will annoy enough people to be worth the effort.

Offline Thiosk

• Commodore
Re: Civvies ignoring nebula
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 08:57:02 PM »
Now I can't back this up, but I think to get civvies to move through a black hole, they have to have a total speed of >2000 km/s.  Perhaps the same requirement exists for nebulae?  I haven't found one yet *cries*

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 05:24:04 AM »
you could delete the nebula system, recreate a new system from the 3rd jp, and manually connect the new system to the settled systems.

Offline Vynadan

• Lt. Commander
  • V
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 06:45:19 AM »
I wouldn't know how to get the civvies past the nebula, but if you relocate your capital to a colony beyond it, all new civvy ships will spawn there instead of Earth. That way you'll have the shipping lines populate the rest of your empire, at the cost of two 'seperate' areas. For new ships in the home sector, you'll have to relocate again (and wait until civvies spawn).

Offline Marthnn

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 08:20:33 AM »
In a recent but past version I've had a neighbor nebula system colonised and civvies making runs there. My freighter designs available were all 1 armor, except one with enough to go there at good speed. Civvies had all freighter types and used any to make runs in the nebula, even if it meant dropping to something like 500 km/s. Maybe it's because that nebula wasn't hostile enough...

Offline DFDelta (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 01:48:44 PM »
Quote from: TheDeadlyShoe link=topic=4713. msg47769#msg47769 date=1331893444
you could delete the nebula system, recreate a new system from the 3rd jp, and manually connect the new system to the settled systems.

This is exactly what I want to avoid, I want to keep the nebula for the strategic value it has.

Quote from: Marthnn link=topic=4713. msg47776#msg47776 date=1331904033
In a recent but past version I've had a neighbor nebula system colonised and civvies making runs there.  My freighter designs available were all 1 armor, except one with enough to go there at good speed.  Civvies had all freighter types and used any to make runs in the nebula, even if it meant dropping to something like 500 km/s.  Maybe it's because that nebula wasn't hostile enough. . .

That might be. . .
My nebula reduces speed to 180km/s for each point of armor thickness, so to get my 1800km/s mentioned in the op I had to design everything with at least 10 armor.  Maybe the game considers that "too hostile" and keeps the civvies out of there.
Constant optimism will not solve your problems, but it will annoy enough people to be worth the effort.