Author Topic: Pre-spaceflight NPR?  (Read 6192 times)

Offline blue emu (OP)

• Commander
  • b
Pre-spaceflight NPR?
« on: May 27, 2012, 02:13:26 PM »
I have discovered an NPR in my current conventional-start game. Their home world (?) has a Thermal sig of about 10,000 and an EM sig of about 100,000. There seem to be no ships in orbit, and no PDCs detectable on the surface... although I admit that the ships I've sent there so far have extremely poor sensor capability, and it's possible that I just didn't see any.

However... I did Geo-Survey the planet, and I've been watching the mineral levels; and they aren't changing at all from one build-cycle to the next. Either my Geo info is not being updated because I have no observer present at the moment, or the NPR is not doing any mining at all.

Is this possible? Even Conventional Industry should be doing SOME mining, no?

Could this be a pre-spaceflight NPR?

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
Re: Pre-spaceflight NPR?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 02:32:43 PM »
10,000 - 100,000 is consistent with 2 billion population / no industry at all.

It may be one of those NPRs with nothing except a massive conventional army.

Offline Nathan_

• Pulsar 4x Dev
  • Commodore
  • N
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2012, 08:43:08 PM »
I've found 2 worlds like this, but it seems rare.

Offline ollobrains

• Commander
  • o
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 03:33:25 PM »
Land a large force of ground forces and take that industry over.  Good for youre own expansion purposes

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 05:06:12 PM »
There is no industry, it is just a large population with pre-TN combat battalions. Steve added this type of NPR so people could get some ground combat action the 'easy' way.

Offline ollobrains

• Commander
  • o
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 08:27:01 PM »
so a large population base to haul in antomated mines, construction facilities and all the other bits to make the colony a pretty quick hub of sorts once u take it over to expand ones expansion plans in taking over the galaxy

Offline Mel Vixen

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 01:51:02 AM »
Well if we look at the real universe one could expect that there will be a great number of pre-space Civs ranging from cave-beings to nuclear-age worlds. We may be the new kids on the block if we get out 'there' but we wont be the last ones for sure.

That aurora has some civs like that is very nice. It makes one wonder thought if you could sell a fusion-reactor for say a place like Australia.
"Share and enjoy, journey to life with a plastic boy, or girl by your side, let your pal be your guide.  And when it brakes down or starts to annoy or grinds as it moves and gives you no joy cause its has eaten your hat and or had . . . "

- Damaged robot found on Sirius singing a flat 5th out of t

Offline DFDelta

• Chief Petty Officer
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2012, 11:36:14 AM »
Well if we look at the real universe one could expect that there will be a great number of pre-space Civs ranging from cave-beings to nuclear-age worlds. We may be the new kids on the block if we get out 'there' but we wont be the last ones for sure.

That aurora has some civs like that is very nice. It makes one wonder thought if you could sell a fusion-reactor for say a place like Australia.

Or uplift them to have your own race of willing servants that you can use as cannon fodder allied frontline troops.
What could possibly go wrong?
Constant optimism will not solve your problems, but it will annoy enough people to be worth the effort.

Offline Person012345

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2012, 03:55:50 PM »

Actually, if you look at the real universe one could expect there to be no-one like that. Why? Because of the timescales. The universe is 14 billion years old. The earth itself is 4 billion years old and civilization has been here for only 10,000 years or so. It is unlikely that our little 10,000 year slot would line up so nicely with another species' when there is such a great time period for it to happen.

Sorry. >.>
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 04:01:03 PM by Person012345 »

Offline Theokrat

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2012, 05:35:40 AM »
Actually, if you look at the real universe one could expect there to be no-one like that. Why? Because of the timescales. The universe is 14 billion years old. The earth itself is 4 billion years old and civilization has been here for only 10,000 years or so. It is unlikely that our little 10,000 year slot would line up so nicely with another species' when there is such a great time period for it to happen.

Sorry. >.>
Only if you assumed that post-nuclear civilizations stay around very long on average. If we would assume that after the discovery of nuclear weapons civilizations stay around for circa 1,000 years, than only circa 11% of nations should be post-nuclear ;-)

Offline Person012345

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2012, 06:51:30 AM »
Only if you assumed that post-nuclear civilizations stay around very long on average. If we would assume that after the discovery of nuclear weapons civilizations stay around for circa 1,000 years, than only circa 11% of nations should be post-nuclear ;-)
That is quite an assumption though. I'm not actually fully sure what you're saying to be honest.

Offline Theokrat

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2012, 08:04:59 AM »
That is quite an assumption though. I'm not actually fully sure what you're saying to be honest.
Sorry if that was confusing. What I am saying is that there is a finite possibility that a civilization might destroy itself through nuclear warfare if they have the technology. Or rather, through post-newtonian warfare (or related ecological or Malthusian catastrophes) . If civilizations survive their own discovery of trans-newtonian elements by 1,000 years on average and assuming that civilizations take 10,000 years to develop up to that point, then the total expected life-time of a civilization would be 11,000 years. If we have a uniform chance of meeting the civilization at any point in its lifetime, then we would have a 91% chance of meeting it in a pre-newtonian state.

One might argue that a lot of civilizations are probably more peaceful and would not destroy themselves so quickly. But then again very peaceful civilizations might not provide large enough incentives for advanced (military) technology that would presumably be a driver for the discovery of trans-newtonian technolgoy in the first place.

Of course I did not make up this argument myself, its simply a bit of an application of the Doomsday argument to the modified Fermi-Paradox that we are discussing here. I don't necessarily support the argument or the 1,000 year assumption, but this could serve to demonstrate why pre-newtonian civilizations exist in Aurora (and the apparent lack of extraterrestrial  trans-newtonian visitors before 2025).

Offline Mel Vixen

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2012, 08:43:24 AM »

Sorry. >.>

Actualy it hinges not only on the timescales. Look at Nuclear powerplants, its said that one nuclear powerplant has a meltdown every 10000 years (newer estimates say 400 hundred) but since we have so many Nuclear powerplans we get down to 20 years for the entire population. (sorry thats the only ftting example i could think of).
The entire calculation depends on how many habitable worlds exist and how exotic live can be thus ultimately how big the number of coexisting civilations is at a given point in time. Make the number of Civs high enough and at some point enough Civs will exist which you can meet.
"Share and enjoy, journey to life with a plastic boy, or girl by your side, let your pal be your guide.  And when it brakes down or starts to annoy or grinds as it moves and gives you no joy cause its has eaten your hat and or had . . . "

- Damaged robot found on Sirius singing a flat 5th out of t

Offline Person012345

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2012, 09:47:40 AM »
Sorry if that was confusing. What I am saying is that there is a finite possibility that a civilization might destroy itself through nuclear warfare if they have the technology. Or rather, through post-newtonian warfare (or related ecological or Malthusian catastrophes) . If civilizations survive their own discovery of trans-newtonian elements by 1,000 years on average and assuming that civilizations take 10,000 years to develop up to that point, then the total expected life-time of a civilization would be 11,000 years. If we have a uniform chance of meeting the civilization at any point in its lifetime, then we would have a 91% chance of meeting it in a pre-newtonian state.

One might argue that a lot of civilizations are probably more peaceful and would not destroy themselves so quickly. But then again very peaceful civilizations might not provide large enough incentives for advanced (military) technology that would presumably be a driver for the discovery of trans-newtonian technolgoy in the first place.

Of course I did not make up this argument myself, its simply a bit of an application of the Doomsday argument to the modified Fermi-Paradox that we are discussing here. I don't necessarily support the argument or the 1,000 year assumption, but this could serve to demonstrate why pre-newtonian civilizations exist in Aurora (and the apparent lack of extraterrestrial  trans-newtonian visitors before 2025).
Ah, I see. Well, firstly there are a lot of assumptions here I can't accept, about the likely lifetime of a civilization and the probability of it destroying itself.

I ignored the total length of the lifetime of a civilization because a. we can only guess and b. it would be irrelevant to the particular discussion I was having anyway, because we're discussing specifically the chances of 2 pre-trans-newtonian civilizations and a transnewtonian civilization can be assumed to last approximately 10,000 years assuming similar development to humans (based on the default game setting being the year 2025). That's not an unreasonable assumption for our purposes, because that's the time scale of the only observed example. Given the age of the universe, it is very unlikely that two such civilizations, that last only for a fleeting 10,000 years, would align or overlap.

Of course, it could vary depending on the abundance of life, but I'm pretty sure the rate of life to planets would have to be pretty damn high to make any difference.

Thus, it doesn't actually matter if other races destroy themselves - that only decreases the likelyhood of meeting an advanced civilization. It doesn't increase the likelyhood of meeting a less advanced one.

Of course, I didn't do the math for this either, it's an already established idea. I just can't for the life of me remember what it's called. But I found it pretty convincing.

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2012, 03:24:47 PM »
^^Fermi paradox