Author Topic: Speeds and Game Styles  (Read 1417 times)

Offline Rolepgeek (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • R
Speeds and Game Styles
« on: October 15, 2013, 08:31:47 PM »
I want to experiment with a more close-range, beam-friendly, TV sci-fi type of thing. I figured the best way to do this would be to cut the speed of everything(missiles, ships, fighters, etc.) down to 20-25% of it's original, and cut tracking speed by 2/3 to 1/2, whilst keeping fuel usage the same. This would result in shorter missiles ranges, and more likely missile interceptions from beam point defense, especially since it's range hasn't decreased. However, there are problems with this. One, ships would need a ridiculous amount of fuel to get anywhere(which something like the hyper-drive might be able to fix, if reimplemented?); two, I have to question whether this would make missiles completely useless(or at least for their cost), which isn't the idea behind this; and three, how would I go about doing this in the first place?

Offline Nibelung44

• Commander
Re: Speeds and Game Styles
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 01:09:06 AM »
You would need altering heavily the DB, and I don't recommend that!

You are better using your own house rules, i.e don't use missiles for your 'empire' and only research the others weapons. The NPR won't play by your rules, but that's as fair as life is  ;D

Offline Rolepgeek (OP)

• R
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 03:09:20 PM »
Awww. I mean, I don't know how heavily I'd have to alter it for the speed(just introduces a multiplicative factor to the speed formula, right?), but I can't adjust the DB anyway, so it doesn't matter.  :-\

Offline Wolfius

• W
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 10:06:43 PM »
Dunno anything about Aurora DB editing, but what about just nerfing missile fire control ranges? A single edit is probably the least likely to cause issues.

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 09:05:52 AM »
You can't alter MFC ranges without negatively impacting active sensor or EM detection ranges.  These are the root techs for missile fire control and would require a DB edit to effect. 

Now if you want to control all races then you can control the techs in play.
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley