Author Topic: Crew training, what it exactly does?  (Read 1142 times)

Offline Nibelung44 (OP)

• Commander
Crew training, what it exactly does?
« on: October 16, 2013, 01:04:10 AM »
This is always a large criteria in choosing a captain for a ship, but I don't really know what it improves? My ships are missiles ships what's more, so missiles to hit chances can be altered by this training?

Offline Paul M

• Vice Admiral
  • P
Re: Crew training, what it exactly does?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 02:49:10 AM »
All to hit chances are calculated based on the formula of: final_to-hit_chance*(1+(crew_training_level/100)).

So a ship with a crew_training_level of 10 will be 10% more likely to hit.  This includes beam and missile fire.

Offline Nibelung44 (OP)

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 03:05:59 AM »
Let me just say then: OMG !!!

This is super powerful. Must ... train ... more!  ;D

Now if I can recycle my old PDC to the new ones... How to work around the bug on that? I can certainly SM-create the new ones but they won't have the +35% crew training of the old ones  :P

Offline Paul M

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 05:03:03 AM »
Not (+34%) but (*1.34)

So if your final chance was 5% it becomes 5*1.34=7% (assuming it rounds upwards)...not 5%+34%=39%

It does make a difference though I saw that in my last battles fairly clearly.

I just delete the PDCs and put the new one in via SM.  In general the changes are often dramatic enough it makes sense the crew training drops.  Also they will over time regain their training just due to officers being shuttled through them.

Crew training also affects things like maintenance failures and repair times of battle damage I believe, I'm not 100% sure.  In combat situations the training level of the formation is also fairly critical as every change you make to orders takes time to process.  So things like changing direction can take time, opening fire can take time, etc.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 05:05:35 AM by Paul M »