Author Topic: Moving Teams  (Read 2439 times)

Offline Din182 (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • D
Moving Teams
« on: September 04, 2011, 05:17:37 PM »
I'm wondering, how do you move teams around? Is there any special ship components that I need?
Invader Fleet #13090 has notified Fleet Command that it intendeds to Unload Trade Goods at Earth!

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
Re: Moving Teams
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 05:20:18 PM »
I'm wondering, how do you move teams around? Is there any special ship components that I need?

No major components needed, they just hot-bunk with the ships crew since there are only 5 of them.

Picking up and dropping off teams is a special order if that is what you are asking, just be sure to click on 'Add Move' since double clicking on a team's name does not add that order.

Offline Din182 (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • D
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 05:34:53 PM »
Thank you very much for the speedy reply.
Invader Fleet #13090 has notified Fleet Command that it intendeds to Unload Trade Goods at Earth!

Offline Thiosk

• Commodore
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 01:34:55 AM »
(i don't bother with the logistics of moving them anymore; I vowed to but its simpler to just disband and re-assign the team from the officer pool)

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 07:26:04 AM »
(i don't bother with the logistics of moving them anymore; I vowed to but its simpler to just disband and re-assign the team from the officer pool)

Same thing.  :P

Offline deoved

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • d
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2011, 07:50:09 AM »

It will be good to have button at game creation screen to disallow this. :)

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2011, 03:49:09 PM »

It will be good to have button at game creation screen to disallow this. :)

I think that comes under the heading of cheating at solitaire :). I always move teams around using ships but if players don't want to do that in their own solitaire game, I am not going to force them. After all, you can already choose to have officers teleporting all over the cosmos rather than moving them individually and a team is just five officers.

Steve

Offline schroeam

• Lt. Commander
  • s
  • "Let's try a new strategy, let the Wookiee win"
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2011, 06:10:43 PM »
99% of the time I use ships to move teams, governors, select congressmen, and ,of course, spies.

When I get in a fix where I don't have a team where I need them, but can put the pieces together that they could have feasibly gotten where they needed to be then I will use a creative license and just create the team on that colony. 

Adam.

Offline deoved

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • d
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2011, 07:25:22 PM »
99% of the time I use ships to move teams, governors, select congressmen, and ,of course, spies.

When I get in a fix where I don't have a team where I need them, but can put the pieces together that they could have feasibly gotten where they needed to be then I will use a creative license and just create the team on that colony. 

Adam.

But sometimes its so tempting to just teleport them... i realy need a ruler that will hit my fingers.

Offline Thiosk

• Commodore
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2011, 09:11:35 PM »
its not teleportation.  they go there in their space cars.

Offline davidr

• Gold Supporter
  • Lt. Commander
  • d
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2011, 07:05:23 AM »
If the Auto-assign box is ticked , when the due date arrives all officers are automatically and instantaneously sent throughout the galaxy depending on where their new post is located. Perhaps this box should only be available on first setting up a game. If not ticked then all assignments would then involve manually arranging the transfer of old and new personnel to wherever they are required - what a thought !!!

DavidR

Offline Mini

• Chief Petty Officer
  • M
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2011, 09:59:47 AM »
Or you could not tick the auto-assign box.

Offline Herode

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2011, 01:02:06 PM »
As is, manually assigning commanders every 2 years looks anything but playable. I wonder if any veteran tried it once ?

But combined with the "do not end tour" checkbox, manually assigning the commanders to the various fleets could add some logistic challenge. Of course, it could be fun if the game itself included assignment policies. Fun, but I guess not so easy to implement...

Some 2.0 cents ideas on the fly anyway :

-  given a Fleet : select a colony where some eligible officers stand, select the "Change commander to" order and choose the commander you want to assign to the fleet. The order sends the fleet to the planet, the switch occurs when the fleet reaches the planet.

- given a colony where some officers stand : select officer, select the colony you want to assign it to, select the "Assign as commander/officer/whatever". The order creates an implicit civilian contract where the starting colony "supplies" the said officer and the ending colony "demands" the officer.

- on the Class design window, add a 'taxi' checkbox : if ticked
  - any civilian ship of this class TG is eligible as an officer's auto-transportation medium for the 'taxi' contract.
  - any player's ship of this class can use the defaul order 'Drive officers' and act as a taxi itself.

I guess the same thing could be extrapolated for teams.

Anyway, as I'm only a modest noob playing my second game at year 2055 (the first one concluded in 2035 when I accidentaly run into some hostile massive fleet of ships moving at 8000+ km/s when my missiles hardly reached that speed  ;D ). So as far as I am concerned, I am happy with the current rules (and I take the opportunity here to thank Steve for delivering us for free such a fascinating game !).
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 01:05:29 PM by Herode »