Author Topic: Minimizing CPU usage  (Read 1379 times)

Offline athenalras (OP)

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • a
Minimizing CPU usage
« on: March 21, 2014, 12:48:37 PM »
Hey guys, thanks for answering my previous post about shipping lines and stuff.  That really helped me out.  Shipping lines work for me now.

So now I have this question as to what game settings would save the most CPU.  What should be turned off, etc.

Is there any way other than turning off orbits for asteroids? (and planets?)

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Minimizing CPU usage
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 12:59:35 PM »
Asteroids yes, planets no.

In the game setup screen. I believe on the right side, lower portion. Checkbox to turn off asteroid orbits.

Offline Ziusudra

• Lt. Commander
  • Z
Re: Minimizing CPU usage
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 05:10:15 PM »
There are some other ways of reducing CPU usage but they all have gameplay drawbacks.

Every non-player race/empire that is generated will increase the amount of calculations that need to be done. Every system that is generated, by being discovered by either you or an NPR, has a chance of generating a new NPR. There are a couple of ways you can reduce this.

You can lower the Non-player Race Generation Chance from the default of 30%.

You can also somewhat slow the rate of new systems being generated. Disable Real Star Systems and increase the Local System Gen. Chance and decrease Local System Gen. Spread.

You can reduce how often some calculations are done by increasing the Construction Cycle Time. Though many things, like construction and research, will take a few days longer.