Author Topic: The Minecraft example.  (Read 2353 times)

Offline Lex Talionias (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • L
The Minecraft example.
« on: September 24, 2011, 06:31:18 AM »
lost of people ask why dwarf fortress and aurora aren't open source.

anyone who is in the minecraft modding community can understand why devs dont open source much unless the game is completely done.  Notch himself is constantly fighting to maintain direction in his game with thousands of mods already out for his beta.  at the same time he is on the receiving end of alot of criticism form a public that cant grasp the fact thousands of modders are gonna have a higher content output then a small games company.

i understand fully why this game isn't open source.  it would be like running down hill to even try to keep up with it.

Offline Thiosk

• Commodore
Re: The Minecraft example.
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011, 12:37:10 PM »
at the same time he is on the receiving end of alot of criticism form a public that cant grasp the fact thousands of modders are gonna have a higher content output then a small games company.

The vast majority of the gaming community are morons.  Check any forum.

THIS GAME SUCKS ITS GREY AND BROWN
THIS GAME SUCKS ITS COLORFUL AND BRIGHT

Offline Din182

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • D
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2011, 10:56:23 PM »
The vast majority of the gaming community are morons.  Check any forum.

THIS GAME SUCKS ITS GREY AND BROWN
THIS GAME SUCKS ITS COLORFUL AND BRIGHT
Perfect description.
Invader Fleet #13090 has notified Fleet Command that it intendeds to Unload Trade Goods at Earth!

Offline Echo35

• Chief Petty Officer
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 12:28:16 AM »
The vast majority of the gaming community are morons.

QFT
". . . and that is why Sir Issac Newton is the deadliest son of a b*#ch in space!"

Offline Zed 6

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • Z
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 07:33:50 AM »
But on the other hand.....

I am not advocating open source but here's an idea.

Aurora has enough bug hunters. We all run into bugs just playing the game. 5.42 has 30 pages of possible bugs. When 5.50 came out with a lot of nice changes, there were 4 major bug fixes. Now there are 20 pages of bug reports for 5.50 and 5.53 is out with a major bug fix. If I were the developer, I would not want to spend all my time bug hunting instead of developing Newtonian Aurora. As it is, it's just a hobby to begin with. A dedicated knowledgable player or two who knows programming, could spend some time tracking down and fixing bugs. Obviously someone Steve trusts, but it frees him up to concentrate on Newtonian Aurora, Aurora II or any other new ideas, while the existing version gets even better. I would absolutely volunteer if I new anything about programming. Actually I know enough to be dangerous, but not knowledgeable. at least that's what the software people say. I'm a hardware person.

Offline HaliRyan

• Lt. Commander
  • H
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 06:33:55 PM »
But on the other hand.....

I am not advocating open source but here's an idea.

Aurora has enough bug hunters. We all run into bugs just playing the game. 5.42 has 30 pages of possible bugs. When 5.50 came out with a lot of nice changes, there were 4 major bug fixes. Now there are 20 pages of bug reports for 5.50 and 5.53 is out with a major bug fix. If I were the developer, I would not want to spend all my time bug hunting instead of developing Newtonian Aurora. As it is, it's just a hobby to begin with. A dedicated knowledgable player or two who knows programming, could spend some time tracking down and fixing bugs. Obviously someone Steve trusts, but it frees him up to concentrate on Newtonian Aurora, Aurora II or any other new ideas, while the existing version gets even better. I would absolutely volunteer if I new anything about programming. Actually I know enough to be dangerous, but not knowledgeable. at least that's what the software people say. I'm a hardware person.

I'd love to do this. But I haven't used VB6 before, so I don't know how different it is from the .Net version.

Offline LoSboccacc

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • L
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 05:59:37 AM »
...and maybe fix up the blasted comma-decimal-separator-only issue.

;D

...and menus backgrounds becoming blue when aurora is around.

still, just having a nice tracker instead of a messy thread of overlapping issues could do a lot to help. way before steve decides to open or not to his program.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2011, 11:16:23 AM »
I'd love to do this. But I haven't used VB6 before, so I don't know how different it is from the .Net version.

Night and day.