Author Topic: Why isn't this breathable?  (Read 1937 times)

Offline Person012345 (OP)

• Captain
Why isn't this breathable?
« on: April 23, 2020, 07:12:42 AM »
Why are neither of these atmospheres:

breathable for these guys?

There's no dangerous gases, they were created specifically for this planet and for what it's worth the oxygen content is lower than that of earth's at it's peak. Am I missing something obvious here as to why this atmosphere isn't working?

Offline Black

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • B
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
Re: Why isn't this breathable?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2020, 07:15:31 AM »
My guess would be oxygen above 30% of atmosphere as being the reason.

The following users thanked this post: Person012345

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2020, 07:18:23 AM »

Ah, indeed. For the record Earth's oxygen percentage reached 35% during the carboniferous period so 30% max seems a little harsh.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2020, 07:36:53 AM »
We weren't alive then.
I agree a 30% cutoff is a bit harsh, but increasing oxygen percentage, AND pressure can easily cause central neural toxicity, as well as increased risk of fire.
At one atmosphere 40% starts becoming toxic, and 55% becomes intolerable, at half an atmosphere you can get to 70% without starting toxicity, with 95% still being somewhat tolerable.
But with increased atmospheric pressures 30% and under starts being toxic. I'm guessing steve picked a number that was a bit of a compromise. Maybe more complex toxcity mechanics is justified considering how the rest of the gasses are treated now.
I'll attach the chart I found just for reference.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 07:47:22 AM by MarcAFK »
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline stabliser

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2020, 07:48:02 AM »
Add more Nitrogen, to increase pressure which will lower the oxygen percentage, you have 29 degrees of temperature margin to play with.

Offline Hazard

• Commodore
  • H
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2020, 07:49:58 AM »
Humanity would not be able to survive in a Carboniferous era as the extremely high oxygen content damages the lungs and other tissues. It would also greatly increase the risk of fire.

Frankly, long term breathing of 30% oxygen in a standard pressure atmosphere wouldn't be good either, as long term treatment of breathing issues with high (28%) oxygen support like is done for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and similar issues is known to cause lung damage, among other problems. It's just preferable to having the patient die due to not being able to breath.

Surviving in that sort of environment would not be impossible, not necessarily, but it'd be something where humanity would have to adapt to the changing circumstances. Be it by living at higher altitudes (where oxygen pressure is lower) or by evolution making the lungs less efficient and other tissues more resilient to high oxygen environments. This evolutionary adaptation is something that at least in game can be covered by targeted genetic manipulation.

Offline Energyz

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • E
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2020, 07:58:05 AM »
Yeah but we are not talking about humanity, but an alien race. Life was plentifull at carboniferous period, and it was 35%.

Limiting breathable atmosphere to <30% of oxygen is fine for humans, definitly stupid for aliens

Offline Jarhead0331

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • J
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2020, 08:10:41 AM »
My take away from this discussion is that Aurora is an amazing game.

Offline Pedroig

• Lt. Commander
  • P
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2020, 08:32:57 AM »
Change your maximum Oxygen Deviation to .5 on the race screen.  That should solve it...
si vis pacem, para bellum

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2020, 08:56:38 AM »
We weren't alive then.
I agree a 30% cutoff is a bit harsh, but increasing oxygen percentage, AND pressure can easily cause central neural toxicity, as well as increased risk of fire.
At one atmosphere 40% starts becoming toxic, and 55% becomes intolerable, at half an atmosphere you can get to 70% without starting toxicity, with 95% still being somewhat tolerable.
But with increased atmospheric pressures 30% and under starts being toxic. I'm guessing steve picked a number that was a bit of a compromise. Maybe more complex toxcity mechanics is justified considering how the rest of the gasses are treated now.
I'll attach the chart I found just for reference.
Of course, but I'm not playing humans. As far as human tolerances go, we probably couldn't survive there (note: not a doctor), but life can and high oxygen is probably preferable for insectoids so I'm just saying, as an absolute cutoff for "life can no longer get by even if it evolved here" it seems a bit low.

Offline stabliser

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2020, 09:09:17 AM »
I think Steve may be missing a variable for Oxygen% for alliens, which is restricting this species to a lower oxygen percentage that seems to match its oxygen atmospheres tolerance.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2020, 03:00:48 PM »
Increase your Maximum Oxygen Deviation. It's probably a left-over from Human species.

Offline SpikeTheHobbitMage

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2020, 12:25:11 AM »
Increase your Maximum Oxygen Deviation. It's probably a left-over from Human species.
Black got it in the first reply.  O2 is over the 30% limit.

Offline Gabethebaldandbold

• last member of the noob swarm
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2020, 12:13:42 PM »
your atmosfere is to thin, you need to increasi it, the oxigen percentage in your home world is less than 10 %, an atmosfere with a concentration larger than this is going to be very harsh on your people
To beam, or not to beam.   That is the question
the answer is you beam. and you better beam hard.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2020, 05:10:39 PM »

Yes, Oxygen over 30% is a toxic gas.