Author Topic: How commander priority works  (Read 1984 times)

Offline Droll (OP)

• Vice Admiral
  • D
How commander priority works
« on: April 25, 2020, 05:35:36 PM »
Simple question does a ship with 0 commander priority get first pick for officers or does the priority 1 ship pick first?

I do not want my 100s of defence satellites to swallow up the bridge crew of my actual ships. Right now the satellites are priority 30 and the ships are priorities 1-8 depending on their size and role. Will my ships get first pick of officers this way?

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
Re: How commander priority works
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2020, 06:43:15 PM »
Simple question does a ship with 0 commander priority get first pick for officers or does the priority 1 ship pick first?

I do not want my 100s of defence satellites to swallow up the bridge crew of my actual ships. Right now the satellites are priority 30 and the ships are priorities 1-8 depending on their size and role. Will my ships get first pick of officers this way?

0 is default no priority. If then it goes by 1 higher or 30 higher I am not sure. My guess is 1 is high priority then goes down to lesser. at the end 0 will be fullfilled.

Speculation my friend so unless you find something in the vb6 we will have to wait for some who knows for sure or Steve himself to clarify.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2020, 06:49:47 PM »

The following users thanked this post: Droll

Offline Droll (OP)

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2020, 06:58:43 PM »
This is how it should work:
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=8495.msg104046#msg104046

From what I understand from this I doing it correctly as priority 1 is cycled before priority 30. The fact that bridge crew assignments like CIC being not influenced by this is kind of annoying. It tends to lead to satellites taking LCRs as commanders and not leaving any for bridge crews like CIC, ENG etc.

I wish there was a checkbox which just would say "exclude class from auto assignment" so my satellites never get any officers.

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2020, 07:27:23 PM »
This is how it should work:
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=8495.msg104046#msg104046

From what I understand from this I doing it correctly as priority 1 is cycled before priority 30. The fact that bridge crew assignments like CIC being not influenced by this is kind of annoying. It tends to lead to satellites taking LCRs as commanders and not leaving any for bridge crews like CIC, ENG etc.

I wish there was a checkbox which just would say "exclude class from auto assignment" so my satellites never get any officers.

This should go in the suggestion thread. Definetely a +1

The following users thanked this post: Alsadius

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2020, 10:03:42 PM »

It WAS assign first to 1, then 2, then 3, then 4, etc., but enough people filed bug reports a week ago that Steve said in the Bugs thread he was changing the priority to work in the other direction, so highest number first on down to zero.

I haven't checked since then, but it should be a trivial matter to open your officers window, hit auto assign, and see where the best officers end up.

Offline Droll (OP)

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2020, 11:33:31 PM »

It WAS assign first to 1, then 2, then 3, then 4, etc., but enough people filed bug reports a week ago that Steve said in the Bugs thread he was changing the priority to work in the other direction, so highest number first on down to zero.

I haven't checked since then, but it should be a trivial matter to open your officers window, hit auto assign, and see where the best officers end up.

Oh bother, which patch did he do this in?

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2020, 12:43:59 AM »

I don't remember, but if you go to the bugs forums, ctrl-click to open each bugs thread in a new tab, and use the search box at the top right of the forum page to search for "commander priority" you'll probably find it.

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2020, 05:01:12 AM »

I don't remember, but if you go to the bugs forums, ctrl-click to open each bugs thread in a new tab, and use the search box at the top right of the forum page to search for "commander priority" you'll probably find it.

http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=10715.msg123149#msg123149

Steve's reply http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=10715.msg123266#msg123266

I honestly think the previous way was making much more sense but anyway, it's been changed now so we'll have to adapt.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 05:05:32 AM by froggiest1982 »

Offline mike2R

• Lieutenant
  • m
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2020, 06:22:36 AM »

http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=10715.msg123149#msg123149

Steve's reply http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=10715.msg123266#msg123266

I honestly think the previous way was making much more sense but anyway, it's been changed now so we'll have to adapt.

Heh, I spent *years* playing VB6 Aurora without realising lower numbers were higher priority.  I knew the game seemed to be bad at assigning captains to my ships, but I never made the connection that I was only paying attention to my good ships...  So personally I think this way is more intuitive :)

Offline Migi

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2020, 07:18:24 AM »
Bear in mind that all of the above is secondary to the priority given to each class by the player, so if you want a particular type of ship to get the best commanders assigned, give it a high priority.
Given the wording used in Steve's original post, it is unsurprising that people thought that higher numbers are higher priority.

Offline Doren

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • D
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2020, 07:20:03 AM »
Not to mention people get the 0 part wrong too. 0 was the highest priority.
Totally agree that the order should be reversed to make default priority the lowest priority

The following users thanked this post: Energyz, Eretzu

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2020, 02:27:08 PM »
Not to mention people get the 0 part wrong too. 0 was the highest priority.
Totally agree that the order should be reversed to make default priority the lowest priority

Personally, I think the default priority should be somewhere in the middle, otherwise when I bring in something like an 'armed transport' I need to redo all my other designs.

A default of "10" would be nice -- then anything I want to have a lower than average rating would be single digit, and anything 'uprated' would be double.

The following users thanked this post: Doren, smoelf, Migi