Author Topic: Reducing Micro - Suggestions or something i might have missed!  (Read 1956 times)

Offline acantoni (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • a
Hello All,
In my way in my first serious campaign in C# and having a blast. . .  Thank you so much Steve for all your work!
While I do enjoy C# immensely there are a few things I might have not understood that I would like to raise as to improve a bit QoL and reduce micromanagement
My personal playstyle is that I tend to be very much hands-on at the beginning but after you have 10+ colonies and lots of ships around (50+) and hundreds of civilians I would like to start sitting back and getting more on the big picture stuff.
In this regard, I would like to start suggesting features or things that maybe are not immediately apparent that can ease the government of a stellar empire

SURVEY (in space)
As in previous version, the standing orders are amazing
I personally move them myself and then i do "Survey Next 5 System bodies" and " Survey Next Three System Location" to fully explore a system
Also the combination of the above with the 'move system requiring geo/gravsurvey' is amazing

Q: Is it possible to have a jump capable ship 'AUTO EXPLORE' ? meaning going to the unexplored gates and go through them to chart new systems?  If it is possible i could not figure out how

SURVEY AND RUINS (in-ground)
This is a pain, i have now 20+ systems that can do with a ground survey.  I have the troop transport and the survey battalion and I can manually explore by bringing the battalion and ferrying it around

Q: is it possible to automate this very time-consuming task?
Q: Same as above it is possible to automate the discovery of ruins with Xeno teams?

COMMANDERS

As in previous version, the assignment of Naval commander works quite well. 
Q: it is possible to automate the assignment of governors? maybe with a flag that if you manually appoint a governor i don't want it replaced but if i don't (example because the previous died or there is a new colony ) it can get autoselected?

GATE
The functionality for auto stabilize gates works quite well.  Is a risky one but again I accept the loss of control for the easiness of play after some years

TERRAFORMING
There is another thread for some improvements there, not really something of high priority but it would be a good improvement maybe down the line the ability to 'queu' environment changes.
Add Oxygen till 0. 1 atm
then Aestusium till 0. 2 atm
Then Water Vapor till 0. 15atm

MINERALS

I know you can set a minimum order and then have freighter load minerals at colony so it will take the amount more than the minimum set, however, i feel if we could get back down the line the order Load X mineral Y at colony Z would be better.  Or have Civilians doing it by adding the ability to select a demand/supply?

Q: Civilians do a great job at ferrying stuff around but i believe they don't do minerals do they?

More to be added and would love others to make other suggestions too!
Aca

The following users thanked this post: bro918, skoormit

Offline Nori

• Bug Moderators
  • Lt. Commander
  • Discord Username: Nori Silverrage
  • Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter : Support the forums with a Bronze subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Reducing Micro - Suggestions or something i might have missed!
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2020, 08:57:23 PM »
Terraforming queue is a good idea. I'd also like a shipbuilding queue (even if I could only queue up the same ships). Ruins I'm not worried about, they are rare enough, but ground survey I could definitely see.

Offline Fray

• Petty Officer
  • F
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2020, 09:01:11 PM »
1.  Ground unit production queue.

2.  Ability to store and build a "meta-template. " This would allow you to build a complete force structure including all subordinate templates.

3.  Ability to set a default field position for a ground unit template.

The following users thanked this post: serger, Nori, Eretzu

Offline Nori

• Bug Moderators
  • Lt. Commander
  • Discord Username: Nori Silverrage
  • Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter : Support the forums with a Bronze subscription
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2020, 09:20:07 PM »
1.  Ground unit production queue.

2.  Ability to store and build a "meta-template. " This would allow you to build a complete force structure including all subordinate templates.

PLEASE YES to all of these.  :) Also being able to select and apply position to multiple units or drag and drop multiple.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2020, 10:20:09 PM »
<SNIP>
PLEASE YES to all of these.  :) Also being able to select and apply position to multiple units or drag and drop multiple.

Have you tried shift-click, ctrl-click, and/or click-drawing a box aroudn the units in question (with and/or without shift / ctrl)?

Offline Migi

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2020, 07:35:51 AM »
<SNIP>

Have you tried shift-click, ctrl-click, and/or click-drawing a box aroudn the units in question (with and/or without shift / ctrl)?
I have tried shift click, ctrl click and shift+ctrl click and none of them allow me to select multiple formations.

Offline vorpal+5

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2020, 10:14:05 AM »
I have yet to play C# (waiting for 1.9 or beyond) so sorry of my possibly dumb question. In good old Stars! game, there was this fabulous (and simple) order "load but leave X at planet", is there the equivalent in Aurora C#, or you always have to specify an amount? Because with the order I'm speaking, you can truly automate all stockpiles, leaving precisely what you want where you want, and taking the surplus only.

Offline skoormit

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2020, 10:40:57 AM »
I have yet to play C# (waiting for 1.9 or beyond) so sorry of my possibly dumb question. In good old Stars! game, there was this fabulous (and simple) order "load but leave X at planet", is there the equivalent in Aurora C#, or you always have to specify an amount? Because with the order I'm speaking, you can truly automate all stockpiles, leaving precisely what you want where you want, and taking the surplus only.

There is no specific order for taking "all but X amount".
For minerals, you can specify the reserve amount for each mineral on each colony.
All mineral loading orders will respect the reserve amount for that colony.

Also: Wow, another Stars! player!
That's a game I spent an enormous number of hours playing.
Easily in the multiple thousands, might be 10k+.
It's been a few years since my last PBEM.